Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

It has been over two weeks! And the freezing issue gets even worse now.

5 Likes

What are the spec of your Mac Mini, and are you running WoW off of an external SSD connected to the TB3 ports?

Also, check to make sure your addons are all updated. Even one out of date addon (especially Recount or Skada, or Details) can tank your FPS due to insane amounts of Lua errors.

1 Like

I agree to things being worse. I used to be able to at least do old content for mog runs, and I was able to do world quests and only freeze on new content visions and such… but now I’m freezing everywhere! I’m freezing while mounting, or if Stormwind is very busy - Anywhere large amounts of activity happen I freeze now.
It’s completely worse than it was about 9 days ago.

6 Likes

Are you playing w the trackpad?? Cant figure out how to get camera and clicking to work on bootcamp without having to keyboard turn, nor can I find anything online about it.

I still can’t believe this hasn’t been fixed yet. I’ve got two days left of game time and there is no way I’m paying another $15 for a broken game. I’ll probably go out and buy RDR2 since I’ve been wanting to play it for a long time and Rockstar Games actually knows how to run a functional company. Goodbye Activison, you don’t deserve another cent of my money.

9 Likes

One thing I have noticed when playing on my Mac Pro, are the fans on the GPU sounding like a jet engine at times.
I have the settings maxed out, but before 8.3, I rarely heard the fans spin up.

My cat is treating my computer as a heater. She likes sleeping behind it and having the warm air blow over her.

11 Likes

Yea it gets super hot out of nowhere and that never used to happen

4 Likes

The game seemed to be even worse for me yesterday afternoon and this morning since whatever update they made in the morning. I’m not running it on one of the computers they claim to be affected - it’s an iMac 2019 27". I’m not crashing and freezing like these others but there is a huge difference in gameplay between 8.2 and 8.3. Crazy lag spikes and stuttering, fans running constantly. Seems to be most affected by the environmental effects (fog,etc.) and spell casting effects. In the past, the particles in the air in area like DH class hall or chamber of heart always seemed to do this, but was pretty limited to those areas and would quickly settle down once I left. While this wasn’t ideal, and was still quite annoying, it was manageable. So they either added more effects in every zone or something else is happening. I keep trying to lower my settings to the bare minimum but it really doesn’t seem to bring things back to the way it was in 8.2, which played quite beautifully on the machine. I even typically play on graphics setting 4, which was one lower than recommended and the fans rarely spun up.

Edit* - reposting computer specs from prior post I made in this thread
iMac settings:
Model: iMac19,1 (5k 27inch 2019)
Processor: Intel Core i9 3.6 GHz
Memory: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics card: Radeon Pro Vega 48

Adding: SSD drive, graphics settings at 4, 100% render scale at 5k resolution - however changing these did not help much and made the game look bad, and was perfectly fine prior to 8.3

*Also, this is happening in both outdoor and indoor content at the same rate in all zones in the game at this point.

I’m also getting stuttering and intermittent lag and 1-2 second freezes. I keep my screen res lower than the 5K screen I have and before the patch I was getting 60fps in most zones. Some old ones (Broken Isles, Garrison) can tank the fps a bit and the ground cover can make it slower in Pandaria zones, but the new zones were typically fine. No crashing here, just lag and stuttering.

iMac Pro, 10-core, 128GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB. All internal and external drives are NVME. Boot disk is Samsung X5 TB3.

1 Like

Just tried nyalotha norm…

couldn’t even get thru the first 5 seconds without the game acting up, it feels like the freezing and screen blacking out became worse, once it freezes, its over… but before it froze up and then unfroze without all the blacking out consistently and the game freezing in place (still had it but not as frequent) but at least sometimes the game just freezes now and I can just quit it? smh

After today this seems much improved for me on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Went from 157%+ CPU usage to ~30%. Was fixing this part of today’s maintenance?

Well, if it makes anyone feel better; I just had the game lock up my Windows gaming laptop for a good 15 secs. I’ve noticed a bit of stuttering from time to time.
So the bad coding is not just limited to Mac on the 8.3 patch.

MSI GS63 Stealth

1 Like

I’m still having the issue pretty much unchanged after all the patching/hotfixing. It’s a brand new Macbook Pro with the “mid-grade” graphics and memory, all well-within the parameters listed by Blizzard as acceptably powerful.

It’s always areas of high graphics or spell effects. I have also noticed that the blue and gold Azerite explosions are often the culprit (though not always). Anywhere with a lot of players together or a lot of stuff happening, like in the new dailies areas.

Just this morning, I did one boss in LFR and had to force-quit and restart about 6 or 8 times. One time it completely locked up and I had to force-restart the computer itself.

FYI for others posting. When you post MacBook Pro. Please be specific about if it is a 13" or 15/16".

If you have a 15/16" MacBook Pro you have an intel iGPU and a AMD dGPU. If you are having issues, many are finding success with turning off graphic switching. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Turn off “Automatic graphics switching.” This will force the MacBook Pro 15/16" to use the AMD card and should solve the issue you are having. Also for anyone running Catalina (10.15) I would recommend upgrading to 10.15.3 at this point…

If you have a MacBook Pro 13" then yes, you only have an intel iGPU. So until this bug is fixed, you will continue to have issues. The only quick solution is to get a AMD based eGPU (External GPU) assuming you have a ThunderBolt 3 Mac. No you should not buy a eGPU just to work around a bug, YES you should get a eGPU if you want to greatly improve your overall gaming experience in general plus work around this bug. Another possible work around that some are finding success is setting up bootcamp/installing Windows 10, assuming you actually want to run Windows on your machine.

As a reminder, 12" MacBook, 13" Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, non-Retina iMac’s all have intel iGPU’s. 15"/16" MacBook Pros, iMac Pro, most 4K/5K Retina iMac’s, and Mac Pro all have AMD dGPU’s.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t

Just in case anyone was hoping today’s hot fix was for the Mac bug, it wasn’t.

1 Like

Still having issues. Freezing and crashing. Did not expect a fix today.

Second, to those with a Touch Bar. When playing wow full screen, do you get notifications via the Touch Bar?

I have an old 2014 macbook air in my house. I booted it up, updated the OS to catalina, and installed wow. it runs fine, no crashes or hanging at all.

yah I still experiencing issues as well. cant get to stormwind, and freezes a lot sadly. thought today’s hot fix would solve it as well but no dice.

Today was definitely worse than previous days. Not sure what they pushed (if anything) or it was just a worse day. Hard d/c when fighting rares.