Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs]

I’m also getting stuttering and intermittent lag and 1-2 second freezes. I keep my screen res lower than the 5K screen I have and before the patch I was getting 60fps in most zones. Some old ones (Broken Isles, Garrison) can tank the fps a bit and the ground cover can make it slower in Pandaria zones, but the new zones were typically fine. No crashing here, just lag and stuttering.

iMac Pro, 10-core, 128GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB. All internal and external drives are NVME. Boot disk is Samsung X5 TB3.

1 Like

Just tried nyalotha norm…

couldn’t even get thru the first 5 seconds without the game acting up, it feels like the freezing and screen blacking out became worse, once it freezes, its over… but before it froze up and then unfroze without all the blacking out consistently and the game freezing in place (still had it but not as frequent) but at least sometimes the game just freezes now and I can just quit it? smh

After today this seems much improved for me on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Went from 157%+ CPU usage to ~30%. Was fixing this part of today’s maintenance?

Well, if it makes anyone feel better; I just had the game lock up my Windows gaming laptop for a good 15 secs. I’ve noticed a bit of stuttering from time to time.
So the bad coding is not just limited to Mac on the 8.3 patch.

MSI GS63 Stealth

1 Like

I’m still having the issue pretty much unchanged after all the patching/hotfixing. It’s a brand new Macbook Pro with the “mid-grade” graphics and memory, all well-within the parameters listed by Blizzard as acceptably powerful.

It’s always areas of high graphics or spell effects. I have also noticed that the blue and gold Azerite explosions are often the culprit (though not always). Anywhere with a lot of players together or a lot of stuff happening, like in the new dailies areas.

Just this morning, I did one boss in LFR and had to force-quit and restart about 6 or 8 times. One time it completely locked up and I had to force-restart the computer itself.

FYI for others posting. When you post MacBook Pro. Please be specific about if it is a 13" or 15/16".

If you have a 15/16" MacBook Pro you have an intel iGPU and a AMD dGPU. If you are having issues, many are finding success with turning off graphic switching. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Turn off “Automatic graphics switching.” This will force the MacBook Pro 15/16" to use the AMD card and should solve the issue you are having. Also for anyone running Catalina (10.15) I would recommend upgrading to 10.15.3 at this point…

If you have a MacBook Pro 13" then yes, you only have an intel iGPU. So until this bug is fixed, you will continue to have issues. The only quick solution is to get a AMD based eGPU (External GPU) assuming you have a ThunderBolt 3 Mac. No you should not buy a eGPU just to work around a bug, YES you should get a eGPU if you want to greatly improve your overall gaming experience in general plus work around this bug. Another possible work around that some are finding success is setting up bootcamp/installing Windows 10, assuming you actually want to run Windows on your machine.

As a reminder, 12" MacBook, 13" Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, non-Retina iMac’s all have intel iGPU’s. 15"/16" MacBook Pros, iMac Pro, most 4K/5K Retina iMac’s, and Mac Pro all have AMD dGPU’s.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t

Just in case anyone was hoping today’s hot fix was for the Mac bug, it wasn’t.

1 Like

Still having issues. Freezing and crashing. Did not expect a fix today.

Second, to those with a Touch Bar. When playing wow full screen, do you get notifications via the Touch Bar?

I have an old 2014 macbook air in my house. I booted it up, updated the OS to catalina, and installed wow. it runs fine, no crashes or hanging at all.

yah I still experiencing issues as well. cant get to stormwind, and freezes a lot sadly. thought today’s hot fix would solve it as well but no dice.

Today was definitely worse than previous days. Not sure what they pushed (if anything) or it was just a worse day. Hard d/c when fighting rares.

Any updates blizz? Time is money, friend.

6 Likes

The 8.3 and W3: Reforged fiascos just show how much Blizzard has changed over the last few years.

This is definitely sad, but I’m never purchasing any of their products again. It’s just scams on scams.

8 Likes

I hate to say this but I this this is what we deserve for still supporting blizz after blitzchung

6 Likes

I feel like their silence says it all.

6 Likes

game is crashing and dumb for me again. its been weeks. now with the warcraft 3 deforged crap show, i have canceled my sub until i see that macs have been untucked from the buttcrack of 8.3

Cancelled mine. I’ll check back in a few months, or maybe wait for Shadowlands. Or maybe never. whatever. GL for those of you toughing it out. Hope it gets fixed.

5 Likes

Had a new Kernel Panic tonight… or not a panic but still. I poped into the mage tower and got restarted within 5 seconds. I save every report log to go over and I’ve yet to see this one.
Started out:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa1ab71dc): “Enter debugger: submitToRing: Work queue failure detected”@bdw/IGHardwareRingBuffer.cpp:1486

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff812ccf2fa0 : 0xffffff801eb3bb2b

Usually the Panic is Watchdog (?) related
I’m still learning to dig through them so bear with me.

It’s so long, took two pages of notes for me to C&P

Anyways… honestly… it’s seemed to have gotten far worse than last week.

I’m at a loss. I’ve played WOW on a Mac for 11 years. I’ve been through quite a few expansions and never have I had such issues.
:frowning:
I wish it was something I could change on my end besides buying a new laptop

2 Likes

I’ve been able to play solo more or less during these past few weeks without lagging out for too long…until today. My frame rates are half of what they normally are and I’m lagging out much more frequently and for longer.

At least they’re trying things I guess.