Cranky Quarantine Thread

Huh.

That guy looks really boring. So much for him being a troll deity or whatever.

1 Like

Yeah, I like Diablo as much as the next person, but I can’t help but feel like a large portion of the WoW team would rather be working on D4 instead.

The loot philosophy is almost identical. Mythic+ is essentially an unrandomized Greater Rift, and they’re making a dungeon that is even closer to a Greater Rift than that in Shadowlands. We get Spiky Ghost Wizards that are indistinguishable from Diablo concept art. Even the World Quest system is lifted straight from Bounties.

Like…I already bought Diablo 3. I’ll go play that when I want to go play that. I want to play WoW when I log into WoW, not Diablo But Worse.

2 Likes

I dunno, guys. The design is weak and all, but we can’t honestly be surprised that a group of aging metalheads can’t think outside their box of “spikes and skulls.” Every endgame boss has been spiky.

5 Likes

If I had to assume, it’s probably just a facet of the business trying to do what business does best. They’re finding ways to maximize time played to keep people subbed to make numbers look good. In theory some of the design improvements are, well, actual improvements, but it’s being exported to all of their products full stop (hello Overwatch 2). So it’s six flavours of the same game from the same company and now even the art and creative elements are bleeding into each other.

2 Likes

I’ll be both generous by suggesting that it’s not actually greed-driven for once and less generous by suggesting it is that Blizzard has never been a particularly imaginative company.

I mean, the Rogue design we know today was lifted from the Assassin of Diablo 2, after all.

But Blizzard’s never been about innovation. In fact, their entire business model revolves around not being innovative. They wait for another company to do it first (Warhammer, EverQuest, Team Fortress 2, LoL) and then they take the concept and polish it to a high Blizzard sheen so sparkly that you can barely even tell it’s not original.

But now that the polish has worn off and Blizzard is too lazy, stubborn or prideful to put it back on and without that sheen, there’s nothing to stop you from realizing there’s nothing new here.

6 Likes

I laughed so hard when I saw that leak.

Not that I don’t dig the design, though of course I’d prefer some entity made of shadows and chains and teeth and nothing else. Something totally crazy looking. For the Jailer.

This would be a cool zone boss or whatever, idk.

It was just so funny to me that he’s basically a zombified white dude / huge God-beard and all.

I bet he looks a lot like Danu’s dad or some other screwed up psychodrama self-insert nonsense.

Hey blizzard, maybe the next time you do a reorg and lay off hundreds of people you can include the guys ruining WoW? Just a thought!

3 Likes

The true lord of the shadowlands is Zunde in a speedo.

2 Likes

it’s just Evil Santa.

3 Likes

It’s actually me.

why did you go and thrust this horribly plausible thought into our brains

5 Likes

slams into the earth

wow, another big evil dude villain.

takes off into the sky, never to be seen again, until like… a few minutes from now?

1 Like

do you really want to talk about Dan and thrusting

2 Likes

no one wants to talk about that

1 Like

Going for that “airbrushed onto the side of an old Dodge party van” aesthetic, I see

3 Likes

I would have also accepted Zombie Vampire Zeus.

1 Like

It’s all leading up to Sylv dethroning him and taking his place — all so that she can introduce chains into her routine with Danus— sorry, Nathanos. Not to shame anyone but…

2 Likes

Nathdanus

1 Like

imagine when they reveal the arbiter it’s just the jailor but green

1 Like

I always think of “the arbiter” line from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fBO-Ua2rk&feature=share

1 Like

Were it so easy.