Covenant system needs to go

The covenant system needs to be changed to cosmetics, lore, and utility. Gating meta spells and builds for different areas of the game is ridiculous. I’m being forced to change my covenant every patch or buff or nerf if I want to stay competitive.

Let us earn loyalty, utility, cosmetics, and extra flare to the game through our covenants, and make the spells and soulbinds more universal.

This system was a cool concept, but it’s a fail to tie 20% of a spec’s performance to these mechanics. Ion said there was a backup plan if people didn’t like it. Let’s roll out that backup plan.

11 Likes

Can I interest you in a Megathread??

5 Likes

Unless you’re cutting edge Mythic plus, I Highly doubt anyone will force you to do anything.

5 Likes

This is a game based on numbers, and I want to be the most competitive I can be. There’s an overwhelming trend of people going with whatever covenant is best at the content they want to play.

It’s hindering people’s ability to play many different aspects of the game competitively.

that’s exaclty where you’re wrong. If you want to run some m+ or even pug raids, people will complain about the wrong convenant at the very first fail.

Then they’re complaining about the wrong thing. If you wipe on a raid, if almost always because people aren’t understanding mechanics. or making mistakes.
unless you are actually getting within 1 or 2 percent each time and doing every mechanic perfectly. Which I highly doubt

Unless, like I said, you’re pushing cutting edge mythic plus. In which case being able to do 1 or 2% more of the bosses health may be all the difference in the world.

I don’t like this argument. At cutting edge, or competitive play, covenant choice still shouldn’t matter. I feel especially bad for those folks mythic raiding, or pvping, or god forbid wanting to do both – they’re completely pigeon-holed into the meta selection over whatever they wanted to be.

Look at Warlocks for example. They’re all Night Fae. Literally 99% of them. And it’s the most ridiculous lore-thing ever. But it’s just SO good, that they have to be.

Covenants wouldn’t be so bad if Blizzard closed the gaps. If each covenant was only 2 - 3 percent difference from one another, I think most players would be ok with that

But currently some are just flat out better in all situations.

1 Like

It would be almost impossible to balance sadly

Unless your pushing CE the covenant you choose doesn’t matter tbh.

Note, necrolord is very much viable for Demo, and is stronger in ST as destro

“Unless you’re CE” argument becomes a lame duck when the first tier of the expansion lasts 7 months now.

1 Like

I agree, apart from spriest having the worst legendaries in the game for pvp, if you want to do any competitive pvp, you have to ignore 3/4 of the covenants because they’re soooo bad