Covenant Class Abilities

The reason for Covenant class abilities being linked to their covenant has always been to keep the RPG element. Not many players really like being forced to make their Covenant choice based on aesthetic or ability though. What if you could pick your Covenant and still make the permanent choice to take another ability but with some drawback to your current Covenant. You still keep the RPG aspect as deal-making/betrayal is a part of regular interactions. You join the Venthyr and then travel to Maldraxxus and talk to some dude who will teach you their ability. In return you lose rep with the Venthyr or a few weeks of Renown progress. Now you can have the ability you like and still keep your preferred Covenant, and once again the choice is permanent so the RPG aspect remains.

I just feel it’s a better compromise than having it all set so strictly around your chosen Covenant. I dont think you should be able to do the same with the non-class covenant ability as that has less of an effect on a persons damage. But yeah that’s about it.

1 Like

Or just make the choice aesthetic based. Since it is player power based (which is far more important than my pants) I will always choose power over a personal rp choice.

9 Likes

Nope. This is BS. Class abilities being tied to covenants is just an annoying restriction that can only lead to one thing: frustration.

• The most hardcore players (World first caliber in their respective contents) will level 4 characters of the same class to be ready for anything.
  • The semi-hardcore players (The general heroic/mythic raiding population and other equivalents in PVP/M+) will be forced to select the best covenant for their main content and suffer being potentially significantly weaker in other contents.
  • The non-hardcore players (Rest of the population) can only experience the other abilities at the cost of their favorite transmog, their favorite hub, their favorite cosmetics.

This is absurd. Untie player power from covenants = everyone happy.

16 Likes

Or they could quit with this nonsense they’re going on about and not tie so much to a singular convoluted system.

Out of all of my favourite RPGs I can’t think of a single one that does anything like this. Probably because it’s a bad idea.

They should focus on improving the classes themselves instead of designing four throw away abilities (most of which are awful) for every class.

Covenants should be cosmetic and the progression should be internal character progression linked to the class or spec not external systems that will disappear next expansion.

13 Likes

Except no cause I feel the choice should indeed be permanent. Theres already enough stuff to swap around in the form of the soulbinds and conduits. I’m perfectly fine with my raid dps lacking a bit cause I picked an M+ ability. Some of those differences can still be made up through skill.

I’m fine with that too, but I am picking a m+ ability. Rather than what they tout because I am picking a m+ ability and not an aesthetic or covenant that resonants with me personally.

1 Like

Player power has always been external. In fact before BfA your power changed with the raid tier (not the xpac) as class set abilities were changed so your argument is dumb.

Then you support the idea.

Not really, you are saying I have to lose something in order to be a part of the aesthetic covenant I like to get the ability I like. I would rather the 2 aren’t tied together.

3 Likes

Then you didnt read what I said lmao. I didnt say youd lose something I said youd be set back a couple weeks in progression. 2 weeks was what I envisioned.

Legion artifacts was a nice addition and it was great, they were legendary weapons after all with history, now it seems they want to do it after each expansion, nerfing your character up until max level and waiting to get abilities afterwards.

Class sets are obtainable by anyone of that class and don’t arbitrarily make you weaker in specific content or lock abilities from use without a grind. So, my good man, I’m afraid your argument is the bad one.

Your idea is a bandaid to an awful system that unnecessesarily creates issues where there should be none. Blizzard is trying to accomplish too much with a singular system and it is going to lead to a lot of unhappy people.

And then those of us that have been pointing out the issues for months will get to lean back smugly and say “told you so,” exactly the same way we did with Azerite and all of Blizzard’s other ill-concieved ideas of late.

6 Likes

Thats a loss. I just lost 2 weeks of progression.

2 Likes

But you had to raid for them. The game has long since passed the point where raiding was the sole focus and removing the class sets was a good change in regards to that alone. What I’m suggesting is a compromise. I dont think the system is absolute trash. It’s much better than what was done in BfA and does look promising as long as these little issues are changed. They’re clearly not scrapping the whole thing at this point.

Only gameplay progression you’re “losing” is soulbind progression and we dont yet know how long it will take to progress those to say if any duration of time is too little or too much.

You did have to raid for them, yes, but choosing one of the set bonuses didn’t lock you out of the other ones.

I’m fine with progression taking place outside of raid in some cases. What I am not fine with is arbitrary limitation where none should exist.

As it currently stands you have a few choices. You can pick the covenant you like the aesthetics of, the ability you like the gameplay of or the ability that is best for m+, or raiding or PvP or tanking or healing or…

You get the idea. Blizzard is asking players to overspecialize.

Preach actually released a video today that explains the point rather eloquently. You should check it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. WoW is a roleplaying game. Blizzard is enforcing that genre.

1 Like

Then this is a pointless thread for you to comment on.

No, it isn’t. If you’re expecting an echo chamber I’m afraid you aren’t going to get one. The point of a forum is to discuss ideas with one another, not to blindly agree.

I respect your opinion and disagree with it. I’d advise you to do the same to others.

4 Likes

We have discussed.

Eh, more you’ve tried to dismiss contrary opinions out of hand but that’s all well and good.

I’d just like to remind you and others that arbitrary limitation does not an RPG make.

3 Likes

Because your opinions arent actually about the idea. Your entire issue is with the system as a whole, a system that will clearly not be removed at this point. Any discussion regarding why the system is bad and should be scrapped is pointless. For you to say I’m looking for an echo chamber is actually quite ironic with that in mind.