Council's CM's and toxicity thread

I don’t understand why everyone is obsessed with Goldshire. It’s easily avoidable and they keep their shenanigans to one location.

And no I’m not going to think of the children. Been there, done that, and I didn’t ask for anyone’s help because she was my responsibility to monitor who she was talking to.

Sure, report anyone dumb enough to erp in /say but beyond that I say we leave them alone.

The issue is that it’s in a starting area quest hub that is very public. They’re infact inviting the public to participate by conducting themselves in that fashion in that place. New players, just players, players of all ages are passing through the area all the time.

They could avoid notice entirely if they wanted to. They dont.

1 Like

I do think of kids though, and even vulnerable adults.

Parents can, and should, set up Parental Controls on the account the child uses. That allows them to restrict communications, restrict play times, get reports about when/how long a child plays, and restrict purchases.

2 Likes
  1. It’s still violating the CoC that they agreed to when they paid for their subscription.
  2. It’s in a very common place. Even if they aren’t saying anything, you can usually tell what they’re doing. I’ve been there a few times and it was VERY obvious.
  3. I doubt people would care much if they just moved it to an out of the way place. But they choose to do it in a very common place that multiple events happen in as well as new humans.
1 Like

I get it. I’m on the server. I’ve passed through Goldshire several times. No one has ever bothered me, probably because I wasn’t looking for shenanigans. It seems like the only people that get “harassed” are the ones that are looking to get “harassed.”

What is?

So? How does that effect you?

Further, I’m not talking about just Goldshire and what goes in there. It’s what everyone thinks of when “rp clashing with gameplay” comes up, but the fact is there’s a lot of places around RP servers (and they vary from server to server) where RPers and just players come into conflict- and usually it’s at the non-RPers’ instigation, not the other way around.

Hotspots for griefers harassing RP or …RPers imposing themselves unduly on the gameplay of others need management and reporting often doesn’t result in any observable solution as the same players or new players continue the instigation seemingly unhindered.

I’m of the opinion that Goldshire is fine, it serves as a containment thread. It allows them to ban extremely bad actors.

People need to remember that Minors roleplay as well, and do you know what you would get if you destroyed a ERP hub? Random places out in the roleplay community starting to have an excessive amount of ERP pop up.

Sexual chat and harassment in game. I don’t think you will successfully convince anyone that sexual chat in game is not against the rules.

Just because something does not impact me personally, does not mean I look the other way when it is wrong to do. If they want to move to their own Discord or something great, but the game is not the place for it.

1 Like

So you’re saying that Blizzard needs to police chat done in whispers or party chat because you standing there, not seeing what’s going on, is bad?

Should they police all chat then? Get people saying no-no words in whispers too? Even though they’re probably cussing back and forth, it’s against the rules!

When was that? I think all the times I passed through Goldshire on Moonguard I only ever saw one inappropriate conversation. And I have a fair number of Alliance toons there.

In the old days of WoW when roleplay addons weren’t used as much it was bad.

If you aren’t using the addon or have a profile geared towards inappropriate content you are mostly safe. It’s very unlikely to get whispered or see a bad convo. RP addons really revolutionized it.

If it is reported, yes. People agree to rules then don’t expect those to be upheld? I find that odd. If I agree to wear shoes then show up without shoes I expect to be asked to leave. If I agree not to swear, and I swear, I expect I might have some consequences.

At this time they don’t have an automated system that goes looking for violations. I can’t say it won’t ever happen though.

People who use those can now report to Blizz for abuse and harassment right? I think they changed it. Anything on the game server falls under Blizz rules.

1 Like

I’m aware, it’s still not heavily enforced unless you are engaging in something really bad.

And for good reason, banning everyone and expecting ERP to just go away is idealistic and far from what would really occur. Which is minors that do actually roleplay having to deal with it because it would be spread throughout the entire community a lot damn more.

You’re tap dancing around my point and you know it.

Why would two people erping or cussing at each other report the other person?

You said Blizzard needs to police people’s private conversations. I asked if that meant all conversations or just the ones going on in Goldshire?

Technically, they are responsible for anything that happens on their servers. Right now it comes down to reporting so two people both engaging in mutual banter in private chat would not report each other.

Will Blizz decide to develop real time monitoring? We don’t know that. Some companies have moved to an AI monitoring software that can monitor key words in chat.

It may come down to lawyers and legal cases. Much like a ton of other stuff in the US.

1 Like

Ok you just typed a lot of words without saying anything.

What we’re talking about is Goldshire and people having private conversations in Goldshire. That is what people want to stop for some unknown, stupid reason because you can’t see people’s private conversation. Nobody erps in /say or /emote because that will get them actioned or someone will take screen shots and make fun of them. This has been true since the dwarf in the Tram story from 17 years ago.

My second point is if we’re going to police private conversations then that needs to cover ALL conversations. Nobody can swear or make off-color jokes to their friends in private.

And yes I know how report works, thanks. I don’t need a lesson on it. One of the first things I said was if someone is dumb enough to erp in a channel you can see, report it. But that isn’t what this debate is about. You guys are asking for Blizzard to stick their nose into private player interaction. I think that is a very bad idea. Even though I don’t partake in Goldshire shenanigans, I do swear like a sailor but only with other people that do the same.

Instead of punishing people for being goofy, I think they should make another inn-type house nearby with no quests. Maybe put it a bit closer to Northshire.

The company has the ability to do all of it. Monitor gold in/out of what account and monitor the chat in/out of the conversations between the trade . collect data and suspend accounts. Just like that.
Yes teenage RP can be allowed, but production of poragrafic game interaction should be dealt with swiftly , in my opinion

Beware the living

Off topic
The boxers are not on follow in the Maw … Blatant running mirror soft/hard swimming.

This part, dear:

I imagine that nowadays, it’s closer to reading chat logs that you don’t need to be in-game for, checking a chart and assigning what the chart says, and then sending a template explaining whatever punishment you’ve given. I imagine that the last bit is probably automated using macros so it might just be reading terrible words, deciding what punishment is appropriate + having your manager check your punishments every now and again to make sure you’re following the chart.

1 Like

It just isn’t possible anymore at this level.

I remember a GM, or something, around at some event in EQ.

I would not want to be the GM for the ERP area in Goldshire. “Hey, you other people be nice to these guys doing their… “wholesome” RP stuff… yeah…”

If they want to pay me full time I’ll do it. I want to work from home!