Could flex mythic + dungeons work?

I was wondering if the idea of flex mythic dungeons could work, from 5 to 10 players. I have a group of like 7-8 friends and none of us wants to commit to raiding so we always end up making 2 groups which kinda sucks because we would love to do dungeons together. What you guys think about the idea of having flex dungeons? This is a very casual conversation, nothing too serious so please don’t get tilted.

I think it would be way too much work to implement and balance correctly.

4 Likes

A dungeon at or approaching 10 people is not a dungeon. It is a raid.

That too. Since sincere effort from devs regarding modern dungeon balancing is near zero, anything more complex just means even worse results.

I think a lot of people could be in this group of having just too many people to do anything but a Raid together (PvE wise).

I am sure a lot of older school players would like a 10 player type mega dungeon, or even make things like Torghast for example a flex type difficulty for 10 people.

Don’t know if Blizzard would implement something like Flex Dungeons though, seems like it could be a potential nightmare, but a 10 player dungeon or something is more likely (even if low).

1 Like

Above 5 players, just increase health and damage done proportional to the number of players, so with 10 players, you get 2x health and damage. That should make it at least as difficult with more players as it is with 5 players, except maybe at really low keys where it might not matter a lot.

More seriously, though:

Raiding doesn’t have to be a commitment. When you’re playing together, just make a Heroic raid group, and pick up 2-3 players. That shouldn’t take any longer than getting the players for your two 5 person groups.

Proper balance doesn’t quite work like that. To flex from 5 to 10 would require a heap of tuning that blizz won’t/can’t do. Think of how many variations of party make up there are.
Normal and heroic raiding is already full of weird and semi exploitable break points due to the 10-30 man scaling.

Normal and Heroic raiding tends to be optimized for multiples of 5. I guess you could call that exploitable, but it’s really more like the other numbers are suboptimal.

I was thinking that flexing M+ by scaling up damage and health would ensure that 5 was optimal because of greater chances of one shots at higher numbers of people. You might be right that that might not be enough to offset other quirks of the mechanics in some cases.

I don’t actually think flexing dungeons is a good idea, though, and I think for the original poster, filling out a raid to 10 would work better.

Yeah, I was more meaning taking 1 less member than the break point for a mechanic.
I ferment Zul in Uldir was significantly easier with 20 over 10.

I do agree that flex dungeons are probably not a great idea.

Guild name fits.

You mean how 2/3/9 adds up to 14?

2/3/9 compositions are run by groups that need a bit of extra healing to make up for less than optimally skilled DPS who take more than the expected amount of avoidable damage, or by pickup groups to make up for the fact that pickup healers tend to be lower ilvl than pickup DPS. If there were a way to screen DPS for skill directly rather than for ilvl and experience, and if the healers were as geared as the DPS, 2/3/10 would be a better composition, and some groups prefer it.

Same for using 2/4/12 instead of 2/4/14.

Logs. And 2/3/9 is more common because in MoP they matched it out that 14 was the lowest point where you get an extra item with the fewest players.

While I have used logs when I really cared about putting together a good group, it takes a bit of effort to fully evaluate people; you’d have to look at DPS, DTPS, maybe HPS, maybe interrupts, maybe look at whether they are switching targets appropriately. That takes a lot of time when you’re trying to invite people to pickup groups.

I would hope that with personal loot, Blizzard now scales average number of items dropped to the exact number of people in the raid.