Could EA mitigate the sharding issue?

Want to mitigate the issues for needing sharding? Let me buy early access to a no-wipe server. Then add a few more down the road at a cheaper price. Then, when late summer hits, open it to the rest of everyone that is content waiting for the most bug free game, and those that didn’t want to buy EA for a game they’d get for free with a little patience. Seems like a solid tiered release plan.

Of course the collectivists will hate this - God forbid someone is happy and gets what they want before the tyrant gets what s/he wants. We must all suffer to make the tyrants happy.

A few bugs won’t hurt my enjoyment. Hell, major changes and patches won’t either. Not playing classic absolutely kills my enjoyment of playing classic though. Will this actually solve the shard problem? Probably not, I’m just using it as an excuse to push my real agenda of wanting ME and people like me to have access to a no-wipe permanent server of WoW classic. And I’ve come up with a way to do so that makes everyone happy besides the loud-mouth bullies who cry if they can’t be tyrants, that may also mitigate the need for sharding - if not completely, then somewhat.

1 Like

The title of your post made me think of EA the publishing company…

You may consider fixing that. EA doesn’t exactly have a positive reputation in the market.

13 Likes

Same! I was like what?

But to OP. No thanks!

6 Likes

Andrew Wilson better stay the hell away from Classic! :rage:

5 Likes

Please don’t encourage them.

Just release the game. 2 months after launch no one will be caring about sharding or over population.

4 Likes

If they have early access I won’t play classic. Buying a headstart is pay to win. I don’t want any such mechanics in the game.

6 Likes

What is with all the 0 post trolls lately. Did someone issue an internet battle cry or something?

2 Likes

Not that I agree with paid early access but this is not P2W.

Then end point is still the same. Just because someone gets their before you doesn’t mean they win. Specially considered Classic doesn’t have a sunset.

Someone starting 2 years from now is not going to be able to claim everyone playing since launch paid to win. Same logic.

1 Like

A box price could have mitigated initial tourism and they could just use a Dynamic Queue system that slowly increases the max amount of people allowed on a server over time. Nothing wrong with Q’s for a box a price.

1 Like

No to early access…even though I would pay for it. First thing they need is an open beta, that will help weed out a lot of the tourists. Secondly they should offer a paid version of classic that gives access to exclusive servers separate from what retail gets for free.

Agreed. Calling it pay to win is, of course, silly. You might as well say paying a monthly sub is pay2win, since those who don’t can’t play the game at all.

I’m not against an early access. It’s available to all. No reason to complain. If the game doesn’t mean enough to you to partake, then don’t.

1 Like

I am not against early access but I am of the opinion that if it’s ready for early access it’s ready launch.

Launch the game.

Paying a sub isn’t pay to win. That’s not my point at all. But if you can pay an extra $30 to start a month early on top of a sub it kinda is. Alot of those people will already be 60 by the time everyone else starts. Gating by anything other than a sub fee and time is pay to win in my book.

And this like saying a paid 60 boost is ok. It’s available to all so why is it bad? Same with store mounts.

There is a pay wall that gives you an advantage then its pay to win. Guess what buying early access does? Makes you pay for an advantage others arent getting. When someone plays longer but the game has been out for 2 years rhere is no pay to win.

NO, it reeks of PTW.

doesn’t just reek of it. it is PTW.

2 Likes

How is it pay2win? You’re paying to play the game. If someone subs a month before you, is that pay2win? You had the opportunity to sub a month earlier, but didn’t. So they pay an extra $15 and they play for 30 days before you do. But the opportunity is available to all. Early access is literally the same thing.

If people don’t like early access then fine, but calling it pay2win is absurd. It’s just a perception, rather than reality.

2 Likes

They are saying it is pay to win because there are a lot of advantages to hitting a higher level first. Being able to corner various markets is huge. Having more time to farm dungeons gives better odds at getting bis gear.

2 Likes

I agree entirely.

However, to be fair to the OP (which I sort of don’t want to be, but anyway), he wasn’t suggesting a head start on the servers the rest of us would be playing on.

He was suggesting self-contained servers for all the people who don’t have the patience to wait a few more months, then the rest of us get fresh servers at the general release. Which would at least have the advantage of knowing you’re not sharing a server with the OP.