Could a Red Wedding twist save this plot?

what is the red wedding?

Y’know, I wasn’t on board with your idea, but then I really wasn’t on board with your idea when you peppered in WoW 2 at the end. It’s an MMO. We don’t need a whole new game, we just need the current game to be not crap.

8 Likes

For purposes of this discussion, the important part is that it’s a shocking, violent event that kills off a huge number of named NPCs unexpectedly and all at once.

3 Likes

Imagine: The Fellowship of the Ring reaches Lothlorien. Pleasantries are exchanged. There’s feasting and laughing and then suddenly Galadriel has the entire Fellowship executed in different and unexpected ways. The scene moves to a fallen Hobbit’s eyes losing the last flickers of its life. You hear some footsteps moving closer. Scene moves to a golden ring still attached to a chain, it’s lettering glowing hotter and brighter as the footsteps close in. Followed by Galadriel’s hand picking up the ring of power. Fade to black. Palpatine laughter.

i don’t think that would be good for wow’s story, all of those important lore characters who have been built up over so many years with so much history just dying out of no where, they can build up the void lords as a threatening enemy without doing that

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s just that some people are so jaded that wasting a bunch of characters on a scene that will lose its impact two minutes after it happened is the only thing that will actually rouse their interest.

1 Like

If “save this plot” = maximize subscription nosedive, then yes.

1 Like

The Red Wedding to me was always a morally dubious ally of the heroes pruning a dead-end plot arch and cast so that they wouldn’t get in the way of, or detract from, a story that was finished with them.

So it would be Moira Thaurissian killing Malfurion, the Night Elf leadership and leaving Tyrande as a revenant avenger that the writers don’t seem to know what to do with except use as a way of pruning other characters. I mean, it’s an idea. It certainly clears the way for our younger, blonder, protagonist to be the clear hero.

I don’t think it saves the plot though, since we can just stuff those two in a closet again and forget they exist.

Assuming that’s about when GRRM kicks the bucket and some Sanderson-type character takes over, sure.

Sad.

But so true.

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Joffrey didn’t die until a while after the Red Wedding during the Purple Wedding…

If anything a Red Wedding would have Maiev(under the assurances of the Night Warrior who is controlling Sylvanas and Tyrande) assassinate Anduin, Jaina, Genn Greymane, Mia Greymane, Moria, Muradin and Falstad leaving Tess Greymane to seek vengeance against the Elven murderers.

Don’t be ridiculous, Anduin is a young, seemingly inexperienced leader with a mysterious power, blond hair, a string of inexplicable successes, and he’s got a black dragon he befriended. He’s the Daenerys of this story.

Now the Red Wedding eliminated a competing protagonist in the form of Robb Stark, and nothing else but his supporting cast. The Red Wedding didn’t eliminate any characters outside of the North-Riverlands Alliance or any major characters beyond Robb Stark and Catelyn Stark. It set the stage for the Seven Kingdoms that Daenerys would discover upon her return, I want to guess 4 books later.

I guess we can kill off Velen too, if you think he’s a reasonable stand in for the bumbling Edmure Tully.

Anduin is Azeroth’s Dany
He just keeps winning by sheer presence alone

Why didn’t I see that before? Damn

Yeah, it’s going to be hard to see GoT quite the same way again.

Sure, let’s kill off EVEN MORE Horde characters. Why not?

2 Likes

So a scenario where every Horde leader is dead and the only 2 that get to service are the spineless coward Saurfang who helped start the war in the first place, and Baine who been nothing but a determent to the Horde since day one. While the Alliance get to play karma houndini like they do every time.

Yeah no thanks to that.

1 Like

If Blizzard was trying to go for something of shock value like this, the correct answer would be it turning out the Honor Rebellion has been a hoax from the start, and Surfang turns his Honor Horde Rebels on the Alliance army after they’ve committed to an All In Assault on Slyvanas.

Mind you I realize the Alliance would similarly riot at a bunch of their characters getting killed off, though at this point the Alliance has more to spare than the Horde.

Does Teldrassil not count?

A bunch of dead peasants doesn’t have the impact of important NPCs. Let alone that was an issue of the twist being there is no twist, Horde did it again.