Could a Red Wedding twist save this plot?

The Starks didn’t deserve it.

Robb did. Honor your word.

I agree with this.

Having Jaina be randomly crazy and killing people wouldn’t work.

The idea that Sylvanas saw some kind of secret corruption in the factions is laughable.

Like you say a red wedding needs to be built up to to work properly. It does NOT work as a knee jerk reaction of ‘oh wait this story is bad let’s do something drastic to change course.’

Now, it’s possible that a plot twist could improve the later part of BFA in some way. But not ‘Sylvanas is actually the good guy.’ It’s too late for that. It would come out of nowhere and be hella forced.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s really struggled since then.

So you’re saying I should be satisfied with the Alliance story?

2 Likes

They are probably going to Kerrigan her, make her the bastion against the consuming void, necessary evil yada yada…or a loot pinhata.

Well you don’t like to be the Mary Sue and we don’t like to be the puppy killer villains, nobody is satisfied.

3 Likes

I was responding to your implied claim that slaughtering a huge swath of the Horde leaders would pay back those specific instances you mentioned (assume Theramore, Teldrassil, and Southshore). My response is essentially that losing cities like that have not, from a pure story perspective, not been as damaging as losing a character. Lore characters affect change on the setting and act as agents in the story. Cities do not, in most cases. All I’m saying is that tearing each other’s faction stories apart is not the right answer. That’s like if I demanded that the Alliance should get the same garbage story as the Horde. I wouldn’t wish that upon anybody.

EDIT: I misspoke. Losing Teldrassil, I would say, was equally damaging to both factions in the worst of ways. You can check out the other thread I’ve been posting in for my detailed opinions on that. TW: I get extremely salty.

Don’t try and twist my words to pretend like I said that you should be happy with the Alliance story as a whole. That’s dishonest of you. I mained Alliance before BfA, and I was dissatisfied with the Alliance story even then.

13 Likes

I care more about the setting than the characters. Alliance players lose our setting every time the faction war develops. There are as many of us who are mad at south shore and Theramore as there are others pissed at taurjo and the purge.

Blizzard pisses Alliance fans off into wanting to fight, only to lecture us about not hating the group responsible. The Horde players beg and scold us for wanting consequences because it’s a story they have no say in. Other Horde players rub it in our faces because they want the war and want to win.

What am I allowed to want here?

6 Likes

I mean, whatever you wanna want, dude. You’re talking like Horde players have any more a say than you do.

I hope the Alliance gets a good story in BfA. I think Tyrande is slated for some good stuff with Azshara for one. I don’t know what to tell you otherwise as far as having a satisfying ending to this expac. The current writing isn’t looking positive in that regard.

5 Likes

That’s the vibe I get from others.

2 Likes

No players wanted that. Even the most staunch Sylvanas fans thought it was a poor idea to thrust her into the position.

It was a stupid writers decision to spark war because heaven forbid the Alliance act as the bad guys for once.

13 Likes

I´d say they actually need a less complex book on their borderline plagiarizing efforts (cause they have always walked the thin line regarding this on their lore)… they dont´read it as much as try to copy the narrative on said book (and in consequence fail spectacularly while at it)…

Lemme rephrase, I didn’t express myself well

Vol’Jin also died in an attempt to please Sylvanas’ fanbase of edgelords, which backfired

But yes, a couple friends of mine are very…loyalist, as to say, to Sylvanas and they loathed the idea that she’s in the center of political and military power, to them (and to me too tbh) she belongs as a headmaster of spywork and general black ops

1 Like

Thrall, Sylvanas, Lor’themar, Rokhan, Baine, Talanji, Thalyssra, Mayla, Geya’ra, Gallywix, Nathanos, Rexxar, Garona, Saurfang, Liadrin, Lilian Voss, Ji Firepaw, Sira, Delaryn?

Shhh don’t let Blizzard see this >:(

Or at least trim the list down to Sira and Delaryn.

That trainwreck needs to be stopped.

It was a massive twist, but not for that reason. The Freys broke Guest Right over something as petty as a marriage. This has huge implications in Westeros society that the show fails to convey, and a Western audience is too far-removed from older traditions to fully grasp how bad this is.

In the books, there is a reference to a Cook on the wall who poisons a visiting King. He was executed for the crime of violating the sacred trust of Guest’s Right, not regicide. Thanks to the Freys, no king, noble, or even a peasant can expect to eat and sleep under a rival without betrayal. This is also alludes to Lady Stoneheart being divine retribution to the Frey’s from the gods for violating a core tenant of their dogma, like the Erinyes of greek myth.

7 Likes

Oh!

I actually forgot about guest right.

I remembered that it was a big bad thing to do, but I forgot that tradition was so important.

I haven’t read the books since A Dance with Dragons was released. I want to reread them, but I’ll just get depressed Winds of Winter won’t be released until sometime in 2030. :sob:

4 Likes

To be fair, so did the directors of the show. It is still a huge deal in older parts of the real world. Religions then and now preach how breaking this one covenant is a one of the worst things you could do, a surefire way for the God/gods/whatever to damn your entire household.

4 Likes

That’s not the Alliance way, it seems:

Saurfang: I did not expect the Alliance to be here.
    Shaw: Not the first time we've had to move against a corrupt warchief.
    Saurfang: Or a sovereign king. Slain in his own home.
    Shaw: A home that still stands. Can you say the same for Teldrassil?

As you point out:

Randomly popped up in my youtube news feed. But an accurate representation of Blizzard trying to handle the complexity of a GoT story:

10 Likes