Could a Dragon isle Expansion

Idk where I read it from but it popped on my google news feed maybe its fake… though it did sound interesting.
Jailer tries to thanos the world he fails but just like Sargeras he gets one last hit on Azeroth before getting stopped.
Azeroth world soul is a dragon and we go to dragon isles to deal with that that and heal the world for expansion 10.

Expansion 11 new world revamp and Azeroth is healed.
Sounds believable to me Microsoft will probably be throwing a lot of money at WoW and making the subscription part of the Xbox game pass.
They did the same thing with Age of Empires 4.

At this point any influence Microsoft will have over the creative process probably won’t be felt until late next expansion or the expansion afterwards.

And lets be real, after the crap show that was BFA and shadowlands, along with the numerous character assassinations of beloved characters (Sylvanas, Kel’thuzad to name a few), either the next expansion will have to be really good. Aka another Legion or WoW might simply die for good.

1 Like

Honestly, I’d expect that right now, there’s some Microsoft developer or lawyer or manager or something camped out in a meeting room at BlizzHQ, looking over the notes for the next projects in the pipeline and passing along notes for what needs to be changed, what needs to be addressed, so on and so forth with those upcoming projects.

I agree the impact of the buy-out won’t be really felt until 10.3.whiggit at the earliest, but I’d bet there’s still going to be alterations to 10.0.

1 Like

Probably, but not much. Unless they want to delay the expansion even more. I just want a stop to story changes happening patch to patch. If you write a backstory for a character, don’t change it the following patch.

2 Likes

Leaks like that are always fake. Also, I’m pretty sure Microsoft will have no control over the company until the deal is finalized in 2023.

Won’t stop the conspiracy nuts.

1 Like

That why I said whatever change we will see is going to be in two expansions… so 4-5 years from now.

Until now Blizzard has been treating their games like cash cows they squeeze until the very last drop.

Overwatch, Diablo and even WoW. Content is sparse and the only things that make money are loot boxes and in-game services.

Microsoft wants to make Game Pass the netflix of gaming. So its in their best interest to make WoW an interesting fun game to attract more people to game pass rather than continue the sqeezing.
Otherwise they just threw 67 billion to a multiple games that are on life support to clog up their servers.

2 Likes

Call of Duty is pretty huge, but surprisingly, Microsoft claims that they are interested in the metaverse. Presumably that means they picked up Actiblizz for their experience developing the most successful virtual world in history.

Perhaps but I think this also means microsoft is playing the long game rather than than the short term profits that Bobby and the rest of Acti Blizzard were chasing.

Hopefully this means resources and time are finally devoted to the game rather than the latest scheme to make a quick buck.

The resources dedicated to an MMO are not worth it (when one considers the profits generated by other genre). Not until someone comes up with a framework that cuts out a lot of the technical manpower. Microsoft is not in WoW for the profits. They are not even that much in WoW. WoW is the poison that broke activision enough to be taken by Microsoft.

Microsofts mission is to get more people to sign up for gamepass.
They want to become the netflix of gaming and honestly they almost are.

They might even eliminate the need to pay for a monthly fee if you have gamepass.
If Blizzard isn’t chasing every little microtransaction to make money then they can work on a game that might attract more customers to Game Pass.

Candy Crush will probably earn them more money than WoW will. But people wont be joining Game Pass for candy crush.

That is a tiny portion of Microsofts mission, and gamepass is just a part of a larger, decade old business strategy that was to do away with consoles, switching to a streaming gaming platform. The marketing buzzword right now in tech is metaverse (which is an evolution of streaming gaming in part), which at its core is a virtual world. Blizzard solved virtual world problems (that existed since MUD and were outlined by MUD’s creator, Dr. Richard Bartle) that no one could previously, and that makes them valuable to anyone interested in creating or capitalising on a metaverse.

That would be nice probably

Blizzard isnt chasing microtransactions. At least less than any other successful MMORPG-like game out there.

I’m not sure they can, because the companies have to act completely independently of each other until the SEC okays the purchase and the deal finalizes.

1 Like

1 Like

Next expansion should be about us battling the scourge. Just when we think we have them on the run Subject Nine returns with an armarda of flying saucers vowing to improve the average IQ on Azeroth.

I’m expecting us to be helping dragons instead of killing them. The leaked possible title for the expansion is “Rise of the Aspects.”

If WoW was going to do a comparison of something near the Dragonborn, then it’d be something along the lines of a Dragonsworn class taught by the various Dragons of each Dragonflight to eachother & maybe non-dragons.

For instance - If they have all the Dragonflights as playable Dragonkin, not just one - then they could have a Dragonsworn class come along at the same time with a well built justice for the story:

Having both race and class gives it relatively good justification – Now we have the Dragon Race of all the prime flights (Black, Blue, Bronze, Red & Green) and a Dragonsworn class. As you know, currently Dragonsworn are more of a sect than a class (Like in the game you even see ‘Dragonsworn’ that are other classes such as priests, mages etc) but with good world building, I’m sure it could be forgiven for change —

You could justify it via those among their kind (Dragonkin) that instead of choosing the path of another class - sought to refine their draconic skills, and find a semblance of its power whilst maintaining their humanoid forms to amplify said-powers. That’d be a good way from a lore perspective on bringing it to life. :fire: :dragon_face:

In the grand scheme of it - One could depict it as the Dragonsworn class utilising skills from all Dragonflights under a unified banner as a gift, or gesture to solidify their place in the world even without the magnitude of power they once held - So despite what Dragon sect your Dragonkin character is from (Black, Red, Blue etc) you can harness the secret powers of them all.

Now for the Dragonborn correlation - You could have the other flights sharing the ways of their flight to you - then going on a quest to slay a ‘Bad Dragon’ / Traitor of their flight & absorb that essence of their power to make it possible (Like the Dragonborn essentially) tapping into those powers, and help them grow overtime. All this may seem excessive to some, but it would definitely help build the class fantasy.