Corruption is Cool

The quest will be to max out a time-gated currency and then spend it cleansing the item Raidbots tells you to.

2 Likes

Youve experienced this with the new corruption mechanic?

Yea, depending on what you get they can be good, but good stats don’t matter if you die to mechanics or never have a chance to use them. If they had done a more traditional corruption type system that was “+ x stat, - y stat” that would have been a decent way to do it. Instead they made corruption effects that you have to move out of, run away from, or that flat out hinder survivability.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a gives and take. You have to balance the positives and negatives, as well if you’re able play well enough to overcome some of the corruption mechanics.

I’m sure there will be players out there who can play through some of the earlier corruption mechanics.

I say all this without having played any of them yet, so take it with a grain of salt. It’s conjecture and speculation on my part.

I don’t know. It looks like a balancing act, a risk/reward setup. Plus, to get into the seriously dangerous levels of corruption, you have to be stacking multiple pieces of the highest corruption tier items, with no corruption resistance. At that point, you’re basically writing your own punishment papers.

I’m a Demonology Warlock, so lower levels of corruption, the ones that give you the slow when hit, aren’t going to affect me much in combat, because I mostly just stay still and cast, unless there’s fire. So the slow won’t really matter to me. The damage cloud might be problematic, depending on how big it is and how often it procs, but if I, say, get pieces that work out to adding 20% to my Leech, that’s going to be a MAJOR boost, especially if I offset the corruption with corruption resistance, to keep it at manageable levels.

I have a gut feeling that essense and the legendary cloak will have something to do with lowering corruption side effet numbers.

How is more RNG garbage good? if I wanted to play Diablo I’d go play Diablo.

3 Likes

Exactly. Which would allow you to get some serious power boosts, if you play it right.

I’m not gonna use any corrupted gear, I don’t rely on anything old-god related. I kill old gods and their minions not use their powers and give them potential back doors.

I think it will be fun for a patch.

The entire system is designed to ween us off of TF/WF.

By by march of next year our cloaks will negate almost all corruption, just leaving us with base ilvls that have crazy stat modifiers and then the reality of gearing will basically just be, the higher the difficulty, the better the gear.

Lots of people don’t read the forums or reddit, so if they just removed it overnight people who do low-difficult content just to farm TF procs for character strength won’t suddenly be unable to get the numbers they want.

My biggest problem with Corruption is that it is now taking something we all really enjoyed (getting gear upgrades) and added a negative connotation to it. Now instead of seeing a new piece of gear and getting excited, I’m annoyed. I have to figure out if this will push me over my corruption level. I have to coordinate it with my entire raid team. It literally just made raid progression as obnoxious as possible. And the second worst part? The bonus effects AND the corruption are still RNG based.

They literally could have removed titanforging (maybe keep +5 ilevel warforging) and been done, but for whatever reason they have added a mess of a system that will only make raiding less enjoyable.

Well, good luck to Blizzard in trying to balance anything around this. A couple pieces of the tier 3 crit damage modifier and the gear starts to sim into the raid for the next expansion.

PS: Unlike Benthic, this works in every part of the game. Goodbye PvP, I’ll miss you.

The world should be dangerious.
The gear is what I get to protect myself from the world.
My gear should not randomly kill me. Then I have no protection, Thus I do not feel safe and I loose happiness points.
Then Blizzard looses my money.

That’s going to depend heavily on what exactly corruption does. If it does anything like that crap caster trinket from Crucible of Storms that forced me to move every time it procced, I will cleanse or bank corrupted gear until I get high enough resistance to use it.

I don’t know why we don’t come out and just say the truth. Raiding is for losers. It’s not difficult. It’s puzzles. You’re doing the Las Vegas version of Tortollan Dailies. They make videos to show you how to beat the puzzle, they have guides, you grind gear to beat the puzzle.

You’re an adult. PVP like a man and stop having everything spoon fed to you. Corrupted Gear is an attempt to make predictable content seem more unpredictable.

It will never match the battlegrounds.

1 Like

I mean, people are more than welcome to cleanse every single piece of gear they get if they don’t want to work around corruption. You could pretend the mechanic doesn’t exist and not use the power of old gods and dig into the risk/reward mechanic. Just pretend every upgrade is a straight stat and item level boost like it was before, and presto, look, corruption is gone for you.
I honestly am looking forward to fiddling with corruption and seeing how many mechanics I can play around safely with in exchange for the power spike.

I wish I had archives of the old world of warcraft forums where they tried changing stats around like consolidating spell power for example. (Removal of hit and mitigation stats made gearing much less entertaining IMO and I miss being able to spend one talent point and save everyone 3% hit on their gear.)

They’re trying something new for a single patch, but no one is forced into it, you can do the content and cleanse all of your gear of corruption and just have it as it drops with no issue. Or, you can go, wow 8% crit is nice but I’ll have to watch my feet more often.

1 Like

There is a list of a few of the effects, not sure if you mind spoilers, though

I will prepare a imgur link containing the effects, written down in mspaint

http s://imgur.com/a/HFRHI70

Of course the effects and their severity can change but y’know, those are already pretty bad (Source is from Wowhead, take that as you may)

1 Like

The slow on hit debuff is from having any corruption at all. The damage cloud starts happening at 20, which is any tier 3 affix. Corruption resist comes from a time-gated grind on the cloak and an infinite AP sink that starts at neck level 70.

The problem is that if this becomes an optimal strategy because for the vast majority of cases, Corruption’s detrimental effects aren’t nearly outweighed by the benefit.

If people almost completely opt out of the system because 99% of the possible Corruptions aren’t actually worth the downside, that system is a failure.

And you think you’ll actually have control over these corruptions? Absolutely not. There is essentially 31 different corruptions you can get, and maybe 2-3 will be good for each spec. If you expand that to the variations which include different corruption levels, then that balloons to 155 different potential corruptions, and most of them will suck.

Getting a item to drop is RNG.
Getting the right item is RNG.
Getting the right item to Corrupt is RNG.
Getting the right Corruption affix is RNG.
Getting the right Corruption tier is RNG.
Getting the best Corruption level within that tier is RNG.

If you don’t pass through all but the last barrier of RNG, chances are that corruption is completely useless and you have to cleanse it.

You won’t have the freedom to “fiddle around with corruption”. Chances are that when it goes live, you’ll have 1-2 corruptions that are massively overpowered (like Crit damage) and the rest are worthless gimmicks at best, and actively detrimental at worst.

1 Like

Sure, it takes work to build to that point. But it is something that has potential. And it is something that won’t be too hard to get rid of later. Unlike the Artifacts going away before 8.0.

It may work out, it might not. But you have to admit that they’re actually trying new things with gear again, which is a major shift from the whole titanforging debacle.