"Copy All UI data" option

There used to be a suggestion forum … hopefully this will get where it needs to go.

I would really like to see an option to copy a character’s UI profile, addons, and macros to another character. I like to make lots of low level characters and each time I have to redo all settings, even though all the settings are available on my main characters, ready to be copied.

Every time I start a new toon, I need to tell the system that I want all action bars displayed, that I want to auto loot, that I want the music off and the sound loud, I need to tell it what addons I want, even though I have done the same thing a hundred times on each warrior I have made.

Long ago, you could go into the wow/wtf folder and manually copy it, but now that everything is delocalized, it is very inconvenient to do this.

Please add this as an option, blizz. It could go right in the interface options, or in the character screen under addons. It would just be an option to “Copy All UI data” and then a list of characters to choose as the source for copy.

Thank you for your consideration

1 Like

You can still do this.

1 Like

Try this to test it: create a new character, copy all files from an existing wtf/server folder/character, paste into the new character’s folder, then start the game

I tested this and nothing happened. Any settings or macros copied to the folder are not updated or uploaded to the new character.

Many addons don’t use the the “per character” SavedVariables and will store character information in their “global” SavedVariables [Wow]\_retail_\WTF\Account\[your account]\SavedVariables\[addon name].lua

Many (especially Ace based] addons will have a [“Profile”] and a [“ProfileKeys”] section where the ProfileKey contains the character-server and the Profile used by that character.

Most of these addons have a “profile” section in their GUI to allow your character to select in-game which profile to use.

Apart from the recent addition of the _retail_ folder in the path to the game settings and addons etc., it has always been this way.

My point was that the previous commenter was incorrect about being able to transfer settings in this way

You might want to look at Reflux
https://wowinterface.com/downloads/info12811-Reflux.html

Thank you, but if I am reading that correctly, it is for addon settings only? and would not affect regular UI and macro settings, right?

Per-character CVar toggles are not stored in transferable files (auto loot, bar visiblity etc). Volume and sound are stored globally (as area all System settings)

You could easily make a macro to toggle the appropriate CVars and just run that once on new toons.

It was a suggestion for blizz … can’t you just let someone make a suggestion? Are you getting paid by the comment?

This is a players helping players forum. If you just wanted to make a suggestion to Blizz there’s an in-game form for that:
Game Menu > Help > Submit Suggestion

I wondered where that went … there used to be a forum

Dunno, not seeing one on the old forums though:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/

It’s been in game for the past couple xpacs at least.

For anyone that is interested, I found a solution here

.https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/12618401813#post-11

It is a bit cumbersome for doing multiple files, but I confirmed that it does work. Probably it could be automated by a coder, but that is not me.

EDIT: Because of the way the forums mishandles links, I had to add the dot, sorry

EDIT 2: i have found this is not 100% reliable … sometimes it doesn’t work, but it is not clear to me why.

hey could you help me make a macro? I think it’s going to be a rather long one and I posted it on forums but nobody answered.

Because you specifically stated you only wanted help from Blizz staff.

yeah I just copied and pasted my support ticket to blizzard but I didn’t realize they don’t really help with stuff like that.