Cool idea for HC titles

This is a cool idea that I probably can’t benefit from I would damn sure try. Maybe many people in the HC community wouldn’t agree with this but…

Titles that can be applied to classic and retail characters.

Like hitting 60 in HC could be a title you can apply to both your HC, Classic, and retail characters.

Maybe only the specific character you hit 60 with in HC but any character in retail and classic…idk.

I just thought it’d be a neat thing to strive for that would alleviate some of that alienation between HC and other players.

3 Likes

Retail players cried about plunderstorm every second of the gameplay. How do you think they will feel about this? Remember it’s all about them

My feelings on this have always been to keep achievements only in the mode where they were accomplished.

Title name for person who manages to get each class to 60 on hardcore

“The Enduring”

I honestly don’t recall them complaining every second of the day. That seems a bit chaotic but providing feedback is a great thing. I’m glad they spoke up! Maybe they can provide their input themselves.

Your input seems to be about retail players and your frustration with the company catering to them.

The topic is about hardcore titles. If that’s yiur input, it’ll be hard to find what you want!

I mean you gotta think that there’s some intentional alienation there. HC has rules that intentionally alienate. Like, you can’t spam dungeons for example, so anyone who prefers dungeon spamming for leveling is just not going to enjoy that.

Bam! Alienated.

:woman_shrugging:

They aren’t the target audience. Fortunately for them, there are other choices if that’s what they want to do.

Well yeah

I’m not sure I understand what you’re stating, but I suppose yes it is just echoing what I stated, in agreement.

While it’s true that you may feel alienated, I don’t believe it’s intentional on the company’s behalf. They created a version with certain rules/features that you don’t enjoy. Retail has rules/features that I don’t enjoy so I don’t play it. I don’t feel alienated at all, it’s merely something I’m not interested in. I don’t enjoy FPS games and don’t play them, am I being alienated?
You are experiencing the feeling of being alienated, but no one is intentionally alienating you. It’s merely created for a different audience.

1 Like

Yes.

I’m not experiencing such feelings. That is not what I meant at all.

—-

Any decision to cater to something A over something B is intentional alienation of something B is what I meant. I used like terms as the OP to respond to his statement.

My point was that it doesn’t make sense to “alleviate alienation” if the alienation was intentional.

I suppose your point might be more something like “a vegan restaurant isn’t intentionally alienating people who eat meat,” while mine is more akin to “of course a vegan restaurant is intentionally alienating people who want to eat meat.”

In any case, we do have different versions of the game, and I personally think it is for the better if they do not all try to cater to the exact same people, but rather celebrate their differences and cater to those that want those things (which will of course alienate those who do not).

Nope, I am not alienated. Whether I feel so is irelevant. A game is created with specific rules or features. Because you don’t like or accept them, and in turn feel you can’t play it is not being alienated. You are not entitled to have every game designed with your preferences in mind. Thinking so and becoming disgruntled about it and saying/feeling you’re being purposefully alienated is martyr syndrome.

Exactly. You also realise that you can play as Hardcore in any of them. Players have done so for years.

Well, we clearly have a different viewpoint or understanding of what alienated means, or are using it in a different way.

So why bring it up?

Ah yes, we are not using the word in the same way. I don’t know what you mean by alienated, but I simply mean it in the same way that someone who is allergic to or merely doesn’t like peanut butter is alienated from a peanut butter sandwich lunch.

I’m not sure if you’re projecting or what you’re doing, but do note that I’ve never made such statements, and am not claiming such a thing.

Yes, I just think that we don’t have the same understandings of words, and that you seem to be attaching some form of “feelings,” “preferences,” or sense of “entitlement” to the word alienate, which I am using more or less synonymously with “exclude.”

I don’t believe that you are “intentionally alienated” when it’s something you’d rather not play due to predetermined features or rules. Do you expect them to change up the game rules for your preferences? The rules are there so we can have

If anything, you are alienating yourself. You can not be “intentionally alienated” if you are refusing to play because of predetermined rules you don’t like. You made the choice here.
The change was not made to “intentionally” exclude you, it’s just a version you will not play due to the rules.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

No. I think intentional alienation is fine. Good, even.

Sure thing!

You are using the word incorrectly.

1 Like

It’s possible, but from my perspective, Koki is trying to attach some meaning to it that isn’t there, nor is it implied with what I’ve stated.

As an alien in a foreign land, I am alienated from conversations in the native language that I do not speak.

I suppose where the contention is is in my usage of intentional. Which one could maybe make an argument that I’m implying that they set out to alienate others; to some extent, I am, which I alluded to with the use of considerations towards design decisions, which would weigh trade-offs.

In any case, it doesn’t really matter. We have agreed to disagree. I’ll remain ignorant of your views on what words mean and you can feel free to remain ignorant on mine.

That’s the issue I’m having with your statement. I don’t believe they were trying to make anyone feel left out. They were simply making a mode with different rules.

Yes.

1 Like

Citing Oxford Dictionary on the meaning and usages of alienated:

make (someone) feel isolated or estranged.

• “an urban environment which would alienate its inhabitants”

make (someone) become unsympathetic or hostile.

• “the association does not wish to alienate its members”

As can be seen from these usages and examples, we need someone doing the alienation to others.

So Snipy, if you say:

it implies that those native speakers are deliberately keeping you out of their conversation - evil intent - which is not how I read your sentence.

… and I think we’ve gotten too far from the original subject. No this is not a cool idea. Most people playing the other versions would just feel forced to play a version they do not much care for, thus making the cleft wider. And nost people playing HC would only like a title there, not for other versions.
In my opinion this idea is as bad as the Achievements forcing me to do BGs (Like what a long, strange trip …) where I had to brbe one of my sons to do it for me.

1 Like

It does no such thing based on the definition you provided:

Again, Koki and I have moved past this, so it’s silly to keep bringing it up, and then to go on to mention:

They did something around completing the death knight starting quests in Wrath Classic and a reward in Retail. If they were to do something with a somewhat similar time and effort commitment, it might be more like hitting level 10 in HC.

I could see them rewarding a non-combat pet ghost in other versions of the game that had the name-level of a level 10+ HC character that someone played that had died. That might be interesting. Though, it might also be best if it didn’t count towards pet collection achievements, etc.