Constant minimizing and "unable to start 3D acceleration"

Ever since I switched from my nvidia 1660 super to a 3060ti, my game has constantly began to minimize itself and then my mouse cursor would disappear. If I let it go on long enough the game will crash and then I will get an error saying the game was unable to start 3D acceleration.

This is the only game that has issues. I am able to play Overwatch and assassins creed valhalla just fine. All my gpu drivers are updated along with windows. I have disabled overlay from discord and overwolf. I’ve uninstalled my gpu, WoW and I have deleted directx12 but still the game does not run smoothly. I do not know what to do next. I’m at the point of uninstalling and enjoying the other games that run smoothly.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

I am having almost the same problems. I turn on Wow, everything looks good. I hit launch and go to the Char select screen, I see flicker but I know that is from the Nvidia drivers. I log into my toon and I am frozen. I can’t move or anything. I wait and it takes me back to the launch screen for a few , then back to my toon. Sometimes I am not frozen and something I am still frozen. I go and forth to these two screens until it finally crashes. I can’t even log out. then the little sign comes up with Unable to start 3 D acceleration. I have done all that you have done plus sense I have a new computer I even went so far as going back to factor settings… I reinstalled wow and everything else. I have been playing all along till this week just fine. Now I can’t play at all.

2 Likes

Bumping for blizz to see

2 Likes

Almost exact same thing happens to me. I can log in but once i choose my character and it loads, the screen flickers, freezes and crashes. I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER and the diver is updated. I went back and did a system restore and it played fine for a day, then my computer updated itself and im back to square one. I read somewhere that the discord overlay is doing this?

I turned off the overlay and it still gave me issues. I can play overwatch and doom eternal on max settings, but can’t play WoW lol

Hey there,

Try switching to a different DirectX version (it will use DirectX 12 by default) or try launching the game in Windowed mode to see if that helps prevent it.

To launch with DirectX 11 and Windowed mode at the same time:

1. Start the Blizzard app
  2. Select the game icon on the left
  3. Click on the Options menu (below the game logo) and select Game Settings
  4. Check the box “Additional command line arguments”
  5. In the new text box, type the following commands:
    -windowed -d3d11
  6. Click Done at the bottom to save the changes, then hit Play to launch the game again.

If you’re still having issues go ahead and post your DXDIAG

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

I’m running into similar issues. The frequency varies, but it has crashed my game several times and even my pc once. I’ve had Error 132 Fatal Exception! pop up. I have a brand new pc from skytech with a 3070. The game is playable for me, but it could happen once all night or 5 times in a minute. Temperatures seem okay and I’ve tried windowed and direct X. I’m happy to know I’m not alone though, hopefully we can get this figured out!

I am having the same error. It just started popping up yesterday and I have been running successfully for several weeks prior to this on this system.
I have disabled all overlays.
I have disabled all addons.
My drivers are the latest ones available.
I am operating in windowed(fullscreen) mode.
I have tried running as administrator and in Windows8 and Windows7 compatibility mode.
I have tried the command line arguments ‘-windowed -d3d11’.
Here is my DxDiag file:
https://pastebin.com/Duhauqx5

Your live kernel errors are all related to the nvidia drivers.
The advice here would be to uninstall the drivers using DDU and then a clean install from a fresh download.

1. Windows Error Reporting:
  2. +++ WER0 +++:
  3. Fault bucket LKD_0x142_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere_3D, type 0
  4. Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
  5. Response: Not available
  6. Cab Id: edd21319-237d-4f37-85d6-32cdd640fe59
  • Problem signature:
  1. P1: 142
  2. P2: ffff858b6c3ae010
  3. P3: fffff80118ae372c
  4. P4: 0
  5. P5: 3d5c
  6. P6: 10_0_19042
  7. P7: 0_0
  8. P8: 768_1
  9. P9:
  10. P10:

I have done that and I am still having the same problem.

Live Kernel events are about overall system stability. As long as those are showing up, the problem is deeper than wow.