Constant crashes

So, ever since the prepatch I’ve been having constant disconnections. It wasn’t happening before prepatch, however I experienced the same thing on PTR, I just assumed it was normal because lots of people were saying they were also experiencing something as well.
Here’s what I know and what I’ve done - I know that it’s not caused by the graphics in game, not addons, not compatibility issues (running on Win10) and I know it has nothing to do with my hardware (well at least not the GPU or CPU), it’s also not my internet. I have disabled all addons, done all compatibility checks, checked my Task Manager while playing to check for spikes in usage and none appeared, I have enabled and disabled several options as well as lowered the graphics to the lowest possible setting.
This only happens when I’m playing WoW, it happens every time I enter a Pet Battle - that’s the only one I can confirm causes the crashes, every other time is normal. I can play for about a minute and it’ll crash, or I can play for several hours with no crashes only for it to immediately freeze the game and disconnect me. Sometimes it doesn’t even disconnect me for about 5 minutes but it freezes the game and I noticed something interesting, while I’m being disconnected I can actually chat with people but I am unable to use any sort of spell or do anything at all. Not sure if that helps but it was something I found interesting. I could just really use some help trying to figure this out because it only happens when playing this, nothing else does this. I have 2 monitors and I’ll be watching a video and the game will crash or it’ll just crash the moment I log on and there’s nothing else running on my PC except for WoW.

Hi Hades

You mention a consistent crash when entering Pet Battle. Seems that is something Blizzard is looking into. Hard to say if that would be related to your other disconnect issues. Check this thread:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/getting-dc-at-the-start-of-wild-pet-battles/684563/9

Now you said you disabled addons - they don’t disable well and can cause issues even when disabled. As a test you might try a full UI reset:

As I mentioned this is a test. If it doesn’t help simply remove the OLD from your original folders then delete the new folders the game installed. This will return your original settings

I already tried that trick, does nothing for me. Like I said, this was happening on the PTR but not on Live, once prepatch hit Live then I started experiencing this. So, I know it isn’t the addons themselves but something that changed with prepatch which is affecting my PC somehow. I used completely different addons in PTR as well. I tried enabling IPv6 and disabling it, tried switching from Directx12 to 11. I can’t seem to find the exact cause of it.

As for the Pet Battles, I know about the fact they’re looking into it because I actually saw you reply to another thread regarding that issue, however I included it because I wasn’t sure if it was related to my own incident or not because it was the only surefire way I had of causing a DC.

I also noticed while out in Frostfire Ridge earlier (which is what caused me to make this after) I was getting disconnected in certain parts when I was flying. I’d pass over a certain spot and my game would DC me, I’d log back on and my character would be falling down. I checked and it wasn’t caused by a graphic error or anything, in fact, I’ve not gotten any errors when the game crashes. I mean, it could be the SSD that my game is on but it’s weird that this is only causing issues on WoW but nothing else for me. I would wipe it clean but I really don’t feel like transferring the new data over to my external HDD again and hoping that works because it takes several hours to transfer everything.

I think we should start a proper troubleshoot. First thing is a DXDiag report:

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion at the end of this example link: https://pastebin.com/Qk28Ed1P <=== this code)

Alternately you can place the link in a Preformatted Text box. Paste the link in the chatbox - then highlight it. Click the preformatted text button along the top of the chatbox - looks like this </>

Will look like this example afterwards:

https://pastebin.com/xxxxxxxx

Next would be a WinMTR test:

The instructions are on this Blizzard Support page:

Once you have the tool open enter the IP number for the server group you play on in the WinMTR box then hit start.

137.221.105.2 (West Coast)
24.105.62.129 (Central - Chicago)

(only the number - include periods)

Leave it run until you hit a disconnect - don’t force a disconnect with pet battles. I want one of these random disconnects. Then use the button that copies Text to your clipboard. Paste that on your thread here.

*You may need to alter or remove any URL addresses to paste on forum. You could also place the test results in a code block:

Open chat box - paste test then right click - “select all”. Should highlight everything. Then press the preformatted text button along top of chat box. Looks like this </>.

You could pastebin that as well.

Howdy im going to join in here - i am getting the same “138” error, along with “silent crashes” inbetween (CTD without an error code.
I have tried the following with no help or any difference in crash frequency:
-interface reset
-disable/uninstall all addons
-DX11, DX12
-drivers all updated (Nvid, chipset, network)
-selective startup
-disabled all overlays
-bnet and wow run as admin
-memtest run with no errors

this has only been happening since yesterday too.
im going to follow this thread and hope a fix comes up soon :disappointed_relieved:

Hi Aeaniashole

The crashes here aren’t game crashes to error. More like internet crashes. Can you start your own thread. I would like to take a look at the 138 error you are getting when you crash.

On your new thread detail things again then provide the crash report. Navigate to the main Wow folder. Look for a folder called Errors. The crash reports should be inside. Open the most recent with notepad. Copy/Paste the entire wall of text on your thread here.

(If you can put that wall of text in code blocks would be great. To do that paste the report in a chat box. Then right click > “select all” - should highlight everything. Once highlighted click on the little </> symbol on the bar above the chat box.)

If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and paste it up on Pastebin.com then provide link. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion at the end of this example: https://pastebin.com/Qk28Ed1P)

I’m trying to cause it to crash. Even Pet Battles aren’t causing a crash anymore. I did the UI reset because I wanted to show it wasn’t addons because last time I did this, it was still crashing, now that I did it again, no crashes yet and I managed to finish getting BFA flying finally without crashing. I feel like the game is doing this to punish me and trying to make me feel like a complete jerk here.
I have WinMTR running just in case I do crash though. I’m going to feel like a real jerk here if it ends up being addons causing this when the last time I did a UI reset it did nothing.
Here’s my DXDiag report on pastebin - GvhCYceg

I’ve seen reports on other threads that different issues have been fixed with a hotfix that dropped earlier this evening. Wonder if it could have been that Hades

Just in case, I’m going to re-enable addons and everything. I’m going to see if maybe it’s something there.

anything work? Did a full just install of wow on new SSD and still pet battles crash/log me out.

1 Like