Conspiracies on why Blizzard limited the amount of servers at launch

8 months…jeez thats generous

basically this

accurate as much as underrated. this is truth incarnate

WoW will never die. People left WoW retail because they didnt like how they changed the game in Cataclysm.

4 Likes

This mouthbreather is on every forum topic spouting this garbage. Doesn’t realize Blizz has plenty of options to avoid what is estimated to be 10-16 hour queue times by adding additional layers to let people in only to later allow free migrations to new realms like they did back in the Vanilla days if people don’t abandon the game later. Instead he thinks it is wise to tie up 250k players (NA numbers only here) in insane queues thinking it is somehow healthy for the community. Again, the community foresaw this happening and was IGNORED. This is the same response we have gotten from Blizzard for years with ever topic related to Vanilla. It’s the reason “you think you do” is a MEME. People took time off or planned around their family life to partake in this because Blizzard insisted they had the situation under control and we trusted them. Lesson learned I guess, but stop defending them. If people can’t beat this into their thick skulls by essentially screeching at them they will continue to never actually listen to their community. It’s par for the course.

6 Likes

I agree when you say that there are other solutions than to make people wait. As you mentioned, they could just have many more layers.

I can’t help but to think that they are doing it to capitalize on the demand. They are publicly traded anyways and their stock took a big hit recently. Going to be interesting to see where the stock goes at opening bell.

lmao you don’t even know what layering is and I’m the mouthbreather.

Well yes, if people ignore Blizzard’s own statements on queues and the recorded history of online game launches being busy and unstable to plan their schedules around getting in Day 1, then those people do have pretty thick skulls and probably should get that checked out.

LAYERING :clap: WAS :clap: NEVER :clap: ABOUT :clap: QUEUES

This is Blizzard that we’re talking about, money ain’t an issue and is a trash excuse to use it for a billion dollar company.

Let’s say only 300,000 people came back for classic, $15 a sub would be 4.5 million in a month. Now lets say 800,000 try to comeback for classic, that’s 12 million in one month.

To take what everyone says, especially large corporations, as absolute truth is to be naïve in my humble opinion. What these corporations care most about at the end of the day is their stock value and making money, not so much how thinly spread the servers are. If they know they have a bunch of addicts that will play no matter what, then they can exploit the player’s dedication, blow a bit of smoke and mirrors in hopes of fooling the herd, then increase hype (drama on media sources) and create more revenue (realm transfers) which ultimately increase stock value and make more money, don’t you think?

3 Likes

I do wonder if it’s spin. “The launch was so successful! There were hours-long queues and we had to double the number of servers available!” looks far more exciting than “It was a smooth launch and everyone got in to play with no trouble at all.”

1 Like

There are currently approx 260k players in QUE. Not to mention the players that are already in and playing - I count 23 severs - so that is 11200 people waiting to play. They knew people were waiting to come back to WoW classic.
I am not sure what a WoW server consists of or its cost - but I would think a company the size of Blizzard could have added more servers for the launch.

Bingo. I doubt the big wigs at Blizzard even play WoW. I may be wrong as I have no idea who they are, but what I do know is that they were hired to make money. And as you mentioned, that headline that demonstrates the mass demand is very influencing and speakers louder and will attract more trades on the market than a smooth launch headline which would go unnoticed for the most part.

It’s already been established that their goal is to fill up the new servers with as many people as possible to prevent the mass exodus when those servers inevitably lose popularity when the initial hype of classic dies out.

In fact, it would be very easy for a smooth launch to get spun by negative press (or the competition) as “Blizzard severely over-estimated the demand for Classic and launched with only partially filled servers.”

Queues suck for players, but they do make the player response to Classic look a lot more impressive.

1 Like

Exactly. So, if we are correct, it is actually a well thoughtout, strategic move by whoever (or whatever department) called the shots at Blizzard headquarters. It is at our expense, but it ultimately benefits the company and its public image.

Going to be interesting reading the headlines tomorrow and seeing where the stock goes.

1 Like

Servers are capped at 5k players, just an fyi.

It will be faster than 8 months.

You’ll start seeing crashes in a month.

They literally told us though.

Blizzard expects a large drop off of people “trying” the game. They don’t want to overextend the amount of servers, which would lead to low populations.

1 Like

Blizzard expects a large drop off of people “trying” the game. They don’t want to overextend the amount of servers, which would lead to low populations.

Why not spin off more shards? Hell if there weren’t differences in the type of servers (i.e. PVP vs PVE vs RP) there’s not a reason from a technical point of view to even have more than one server for each type. It’s not like there’s an actual physical server sitting there like there was in 2004.

1 Like

I tend not to take what large, public companies have to say at face value as there’s a lot of politics at play. I like to analyze, look at the bigger picture from 50,000ft up and speculate reasons behind their actions.

Hence why this is a conspiracy thread. It is more about alternate ideas than simply believing in what Blizz is telling us.

I challenge you to think of an alternate reason.