Consistent Lua Errors

Been getting Lua errors for a couple months now, and it’s only gotten worse since SL. I even reinstalled on a different machine and same problem. I’ve disabled most AddOns and only use popular ones such as DBM, WeakAuras, etc. Even after disabling all AddOns I still get them. Right now the game is unplayable for me because I am getting a Lua error whenever I click a mob, or cast a spell, or get interrupted. I am using the default UI, no ElvUI or anything.

Here’s an example of one. Many of them point to a Blizzard nameplates folder in my AddOn folder which does not exist (or at least, I can’t find it):

Message: …e\AddOns\Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:470: Action[FrameMeasurement] failed because[Can’t measure restricted regions]: attempted from: :GetLeft().
Time: Wed Dec 9 12:07:49 2020
Count: 2
Stack: …e\AddOns\Blizzard_NamePlates\Blizzard_NamePlates.lua:470: Action[FrameMeasurement] failed because[Can’t measure restricted regions]: attempted from: :GetLeft().

Locals:

Howdy Schaden,

This often indicates that there is a conflict with another file. Even if addons are disabled, they can still cause issues so a UI reset would be the next best step. You can always reinstall the addons again once this is resolved.

Alternatively, you can hide the LUA errors entirely by running the commands mentioned here.

1 Like

Hey, thanks a lot for the quick response and the suggestions. I didn’t know Lia errors could be hidden!

I remembered I installed a nameplates AddOn named KUI a while back. It must have messed with something because even after deleting it (didn’t do what I needed) it was throwing Lua errors and affecting my UI. I had to reinstall KUI to change a setting then uninstall to fix it, and if I’m remembering correctly that’s roughly when the train of Lua errors began.

Yeah even if it was uninstalled and that specific addon folder deleted, it’s not unusual for some addons to make changes in other files. You may need to delete the WTF, Interface and Cache folders entirely to reset WoW back to default and then setup those addons again. If you have addons that have a lot of work to configure, like WeakAuras, you can back them up by copying those folders and putting them in another location. That’s good practice anyway since it can be a pain if there’s corruption or lost addon files.

That makes sense, when I reinstalled a new computer I copied over my interface and WTF folders but wasn’t very selective in what I brought over, so likely just took the corrupted/problematic files with me. Thanks again!

EDIT:

Hi Zenlaka,

I am still getting LUA errors on a fairly consistent basis. I did a UI reset and that seemed to fix the ones related to clicking mobs and getting interrupted, but still received a few related to an AddOn (TSM) and other templating. I did a complete reinstall of the game (even swapped the install to my 2nd hard drive) and tried to disable LUA errors but that didn’t work, either (when I ran the script in the link you posted another LUA error popped up, and am still receiving them).

Here is one example that I’ve received several times now when clicking “Show me my Renown” in my covenant hall.

Message: Interface\SharedXML\SharedTooltipTemplates.lua:101: Usage: GameTooltip:SetText(“text” [, color, wrap])
Time: Fri Dec 11 12:56:34 2020
Count: 1
Stack: Interface\SharedXML\SharedTooltipTemplates.lua:101: Usage: GameTooltip:SetText(“text” [, color, wrap])
[string “@Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua”]:410: in function <…\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:408>

Locals: self = {
0 =
OnEnter = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:408
GetLevel = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:322
OnMouseUp = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:402
SetIcon = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:393
IconBorder = {
}
Level = {
}
Icon = {
}
Textures = {
}
init = true
Refresh = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:353
HexMask = {
}
rewardInfo =

{
}
SetInfo = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:317
TryInit = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:326
info =
{
}
ApplyAlpha = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:398
Check = {
}
index = 6
HighlightTexture = {
}
RefreshTooltip = defined @Interface\AddOns\Blizzard_CovenantRenown\Blizzard_CovenantRenown.lua:413
}

Any advice?