Conquest gain per win too slow for alts

This is just a general gripe of mine, and goes beyond conquest… The entire PvP gearing system for alts / late starts is just nuts on the time sink required. Honor gear 1-7 is a huuge time sink (and miserable for the first 90%), and the conq catchup cap has now grown to be a massive grind as well. As a player that loves alts, i just find the current system to be annoying. Its great on my main where everything came in smaller chunks, but it blows on alts.

Current conq cap is 6600 conq = 189 wins or roughly 380 games. This can amount to over 1 day /played depending on game length, just to get 200 ilvl gear and maybe upgrade it depending on where you fall rating-wise. and that is not including the major time spent to get your toon to a point where it can exist in arena and find groups. Awesome if you have friends willing to play 380 games with your alt, but even that is a big ask out of your arena bros

My point - with conq gear coming in at 200 ilvl, only 3 better than honor gear / covenant gear and so on… who cares if we can farm the catchup faster? The cap is still the cap, and even if you complete the entire thing, if you achieve no rating, then you’re coming in at 200ish ilvl which is essentially the minimum to compete on the ladder.

I don’t see the harm in accelerating the conq per 3s win to something like 100 during the catchup phase… and/or increase gains from BGs / skirms etc. the real weekly cap is the vault honor anyway, and i just can’t see a good reason for conq gain be this slow.

17 Likes

Bobby needs those log in metrics to stay up

4 Likes

Idk man, i normally just spend all of my time gearing alts, getting to learn them and then switching before i ever actually get good at a class… I just can’t muster it this expac and get demoralized on working on them.

1 Like

rbgs give 150 for first win and 100 for every other win

Yeah i know. thats still awful. Still 55+ RBG wins to eat through the entire cap. My whole point here is that there is no harm in increasing the cap speed, adding more conq to unrated BGs, etc. it gives 200 ilvl gear… for all i care, random BGs can give 100 conq each.

2 Likes

It’s a totally brutal combo atm between how many wins it takes to grind up points and how disadvantaged you are when you’re behind on gear on a new alt. Feelsbadman

7 Likes

At this point I don’t even know if it’s Bobby, or Ion trying to justify his wages. I somehow doubt Bobby’s writing any memos going ‘ay, get rid of conquest!’

honestly, pvp gearing sucks. they botched it, understandably since the main game was rushed but still

1 Like

Wait for 9.1 and hope that they stay true to giving us WoD gearing.

Until then, I am levelling up a warlock for TBC…

They said that they are switching to WoD gearing in 9.1? Where did that information come from?

From a couple of different interviews that Blizzard did during Blizzcon

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/91-pvp-gearing-changes/877857

2 Likes

I mean that’s nice for PvP gear to continue to be BiS for PvP, but will it help in the acquisition of gear especially for alts?

I don’t think today’s Blizzard will make anything non-grindy. It’s almost like Blizz gets a cut in the paid carries, and therefore has been incentivized. I feel everything they are implementing is just encouraging players to pay for carries. x_x

What might happen is that Arena will have less M+ geared people smashing noobs with their high ilevel PvE gear, but it still takes painfully long to gear up an alt with the PvP gear.

1 Like

If they stick to how WoD worked, absolutely.

Imagine all honor gear was just a single tier (in PVP) and boosted to 218 in PVP. And all conquest, again just a single tier for PVP, was boosted to 233 in PVP.

I am not sure if they will still have the base ilvl be upgradable for use outside of PVP.

They certainly do get a cut, because of all the token purchases.

I really do think the current PVP gearing was an attempt to keep PVE and PVP gear equivalent. That is why all the grind, time gating and rating requirements were added to it. The whole system seemed rushed and they likely did not foresee how badly it would incentivize carries and create such a huge gear disparity.

Pretty sure that it’s loud and clear now, which is why they are making changes for 9.1.

1 Like

Yeah i dont think its some nefarious thing designed to generate WoW token sales. The huge complaint in 8.3 was the amount of PVE required to be competitive in PVE (basically all but like 2-3 pieces per class came from PVE). They tried to fix this while maintaining their gear cross over concept, and more or less succeeded at this, but it came with a new set of issues.

It also gave us lots to do on our mains for the first few weeks which was cool, and we all had essentially similar gear, but its just way too much now for alts and its in an environment where people are way ahead on gear.

I think some basic changes such as 50 conq per random bg win, a bit more for epics, 15ish per skirm win, and 50-100% more from rated, up to current week cap, would significantly reducing the complaining on the forums. Does not address the rating break points, but it absolutely improves accessibility to the conq gear to go for that 1400 and beyond.

1 Like

At this point in the season, they should increase the amount gained from the weekly quests and the daily bg/epic/skirmish to something like 500 so you can start running this daily/weekly on multiple alts to keep them progressing.
There’s almost no point in honor gear anymore, and there’s nothing else to do but level alts.

1 Like