Confused on how profession leveling works

TLDR at bottom

So wanting to get a profession leveled up for BFA and for SL, I’m probably going to have tailor/enchant and blacksmith/mining on my 120 alts

So it says I have the recipes learned for Cataclysm etc for blacksmithing but for smelting it’s only copper that’ll Give me credit for smelting.

Do I need to grind out until my mining/black smith reaches 140 to start into newer content mining? Or just farm New content mining?
Hope this makes sense

TLDR:
Wanting to start blacksmithing/tailoring and have no idea where to start

You would need to go to a Cataclysm zone to learn gathering professions from the Cataclysm trainers.

Each expansion is self contained for its professions Cata, however is an oddball and for some reason, the crafting professions are learnable from Classic trainers but the gathering professions follow the usual pattern of only being taught by Cata trainers in Cata zones.

If BFA and SL are your primary concerns, just go to BFA content and get trained there by BfA trainers. No need to level your professions through old expansion content to make BfA items.

1 Like

Outside of Engineering (which has lots of useful items from various expansions) there’s not much reason to level up past expansion’s professions outside of transmog. I would level your vanilla professions to 75 so you get access to the Darkmoon Faire profession quests. (The +5 skill points apply to your highest learned expansion, so if you’ve learned BfA mining (even if it’s at level 1) you’ll get the +5 skillpoints added to your BfA mining skills.)

1 Like