Confused about skills

So im doing a holy priest, and i have no idea what skills i should be getting. The build guides only cover talents.

Also should i keep rank 1 and 2 spells on hotbar once i get rank 3 stuff?

2 Likes

When I played a priest in vanilla I kept 3 ranks of healing spells on my bar generally. This helps with a spectrum of incoming damage rates that you may encounter, as well as managing your mana.

Kinda like a low, mid, and high heal.

Don’t overthink it while you’re leveling.

You really won’t need to keep more than 2 ranks of a heal on your bar.

Basically a big expensive heal and a cheap weaker heal sort of deal.

1 Like

For this, it’s generally a good idea to have lower ranked skills available to use, but you can always use macros to accomplish this. For example
/cast [mod:shift] Smite(Rank 1); [mod: ctrl] Smite(Rank 2); Smite

I’ll have to double check the syntax of ranks, it’s been a long time since I’ve made these macros. That should cast rank 1 when you’re holding shift, rank 2 when holding control and cast your highest level Smite when you use the normal hotkey.

As for which spells to use, once you finally get a wand, you’ll be using that a lot. Shadow Word: Pain, too.

At the lower levels without a wand, don’t be afraid to melee mobs if you have to. Remember that DoTs don’t tag the mob until their first tick, so it can be helpful to run up and melee them quickly to grab the tag and not waste mana on a mob you won’t get.

Get Spirit Tap as soon as possible and as long as you’re not spamming Smite/Mind Blast constantly, you’ll find that you can generally go from one mob to the next fairly easily.

1 Like

classic. wowhead .com/guides/priest-leveling-classic-wow#spells-to-buy-while-leveling-as-a-priest

You should be buying all your spells.

Generally speaking, learn Rank 1 of everything when it’s first available.

Then, if you find that you’re never using it, you can skip its upgrades. But if you like the skill, keep on upgrading.

I’ll highjack the thread and ask for a help with a macro:

Is there a way to make a macro which for example casts heal rank 2, but if there is not enough mana, casts heal rank 1? Same for higher ranks.

1 Like

No. Macros can’t have fall-through decision making like that.

(If they could, you could create what is essentially a bot, smart-healing as needed).

Not as far as I know, that’s too close to automating gameplay for Blizzard to really allow anymore. The only thing I can think to suggest is perhaps having something like a Weakaura that will look at how much mana you have and tell you the highest rank you have mana for.

Edit: Based on Flowermilk’s link, even that may not be possible. I’ll look into it.

What can you not do with a macro?

Although possibilities seem endless… there are some actions that can not be done with macros.
These include:
Checking for position
Checking the amount of class resources or health you have left
Cooldown of abilities (possible with scripts, but not with an ordinary macro)
Recognize procs
Checking distance to target (range)

Thank for the macro and suggestions.

Ty for the link. That said, I don’t think it’s necessary for the macro to read the amount of mana I have. I was thinking more in line of, if rank 2 fails to cast, cast rank 1.

1 Like

that macro is fine. the macro isnt doing anything. the player decides which version of the spell to use.
or if you like it better, he could just make a shift 1 lesser heal and a control 1 lesser heal. same thing – just taking up 2 boxes instead of 1.

Yeah that’s what I linked to you, you would need a macro modifier which checks how much resources you have in order to do that, and you can’t do that with the macro system.

You could use the other macro linked above and manually check your mana to decide which spell to use instead.

Like it would need to be like: if oom = cast Rank 1 Spell, which isn’t possible.

So you’d need to use that macro above, see that you don’t have enough mana to cast Rank 2 Spell, and press shift to cast the Rank 1 version instead like shown in Crazdor’s macro.

I hope that makes sense.

I just looked and WeakAuras can tell how much mana you have and all that, so my original suggestion would still work. But even a macro to cast a spell if one fails to cast would not work.

1 Like