Confused about possible censorship

I keep seeing videos on Blizzard requiring community managers to censor discussions in particular about spell batching. How is this such a bad thing to discuss in the community in these forums and why would Blizzard censor those who are requesting this system? I’ve yet to see a discussion go badly or see someone suddenly become ugly in their posts about this topic. I find it weird that it keeps disappearing from these forums. Can someone explain why?

7 Likes

Disagreeing is trolling now. RIP.

16 Likes

I’m confused – that thread is still up, so clearly it’s not the subject matter. Is it people insulting one another or using inappropriate language? Because that’s always been against the rules.

10 Likes

I’ve not seen that. What’s happened is whenever someone disagrees with Blizz instead of handling it properly apparently according to the videos I’ve watched showing the evidence, the people disagreeing with Blizz on such topics, are suddenly and what appears to be wrongly banned from the forums.

I’ve seen that post popup several times now as well. Did they leave this last one up? That’s odd. If that’s the case it’s almost as if all those bannings happened for no reason at all.

Also, I’ve not seen any ugly language in these posts. Not sure why that’s being reported on these posts.

5 Likes

Why do you assume that they are true?

5 Likes

No, this simply isn’t true. One look at the forums will tell you that. I’ll grant you that some of the things being hit strike me as overreach, but stopping people from having conversations regarding their disagreement with the direction the game(s) is/are going is not inhibited in any fashion.

I assume that would most likely be because moderation is removing it from those posts or just removing the posts themselves.

5 Likes

It’s not a white Knight vs complainer thing.

I’ve been hearing from a lot of people about how broken moderation is ATM, from both sides. It’s that moderation itself has problems.

11 Likes

Someone asked why would I believe such stories…

Because of the evidence presented. Once things are deleted from the forums such as accounts and posts, it’s assumed by the mod deleting the items that they disappear from the internet but that’s not how the internet works. You’ll see what I mean if you search for censorship + world of warcraft on youtube, the person reporting it has all the evidence they need and it’s not a report on their own account but someone else’s.

I won’t add the link here because if I do this thread will become locked and or deleted itself.

1 Like

I think you may be sorely underestimating the intelligence of moderation staff. No one who uses the internet as part of their profession is foolish enough to think that.

4 Likes

This thread is likely to be locked or deleted anyway because it is discussing disciplinary action.

I will be frank here and say not only have I watched the video but I think it is trash journalism much like the National Enquirer was. But when I was studying journalism objectivity was emphasized and there is certainly no longer a requirement for such in today’s world.

Given the fact that most players in the spell batching thread that remains posted are not at all concerned with it not being part of classic, I find this all to be propaganda.

As for this thread, you come across more as someone who wants to spread the “news” than someone that is confused. If I am wrong on that point, please just plainly state what is confusing you.

6 Likes

It shouldn’t be locked and if it is the game is in a really unhealthy place if we can’t talk about vital game systems

You said it well. The OP is feigning confusion so he can spread the news without getting banned himself.

2 Likes

I’m not so certain that removal of a character removes their posts. I’ve had a hot head moment or two with Blizzard… One where I had them remove all of my personal information from their system in regards to my original account. They complied after the 14 day waiting period. I was obstinate and waited… and eventually came back to the game… (I do regret how obstinate I was, but felt it was the only way my message would reach specific ears at the time)…

Anyway, on the previous version of the forums I can still find posts I made on those characters… So I’m not so certain of some of your claims. Video proof or not… Editing is a marvelous tool.

Heck right now they can take pictures of someone and create videos of them saying things that they really haven’t. Now granted that equipment is probably a little more hi-tech than a wow user is going to have available to them, but the point is… don’t believe everything you see or read.

Good move on his half

Isn’t it slightly concerning people are starting to go to these lengths

I have found the problem.

4 Likes

I don’t know, I have seen some very negative anti-Blizzard posts (just look in the gamer’s choice thread) that didn’t seem to have moderation. I am having to believe it has something other then criticizing Blizzard and maybe spamming duplicate topics (i.e the stock stuff) or just the general hostility to other players I have seen is some. I have seen a lot of topics I have posted in get deleted or locked and not once was I shocked.

2 Likes

Protip: Don’t listen to Alexsensual (who made one of the ridiculous videos about it.) He generally has no idea what he is talking about and goes with whatever the current hot topic click-bait is just to up the views.

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying - the mods aren’t going after people making criticisms, they are actioning BOTH ‘sides’ based on people gaming the system.

The problem is that moderation itself has problems and has no mechanism for correcting those problems.

2 Likes

I am very disturbed people go to these lengths. Even if, which I do not believe, but even if, this is happening I don’t understand why it is being treated like some nefarious world takeover movement.

My post calling the alliance who whine about the PvP imbalance(and do nothing to help it) carebears was censored for trolling. Rip.