Conditional Mouseover Macro for Targeting

I’m wondering if it’s possible to make a macro that essentially combines left click and tab targeting into a conditional mouseover macro.

Essentially what I’d like to do, if possible, is this. If my mouse is on an enemy and I hit the key bind it would target the mob, but if my mouse is not over an enemy and I hit the key bind it would target an enemy for me through the use of tab target.

If that’s possible, would the same be able to be used for an ability? Such as, If I have a normal target or mouseover target the ability would cast on the respective target, but if I had no target, it would tab target something and cast the ability.

I was also curious if targeting macros are able to be made to choose higher or lower health targets for either funnel or execute.

EDIT:
I may have found an answer for anyone else needing a macro that’s similar. This macro was created by someone else, but it seems to work. The macro will prioritize mouseover, then target, then nearest enemy. The only thing it’s missing is a focus target condition.

#showtooltip
/cleartarget [help][noharm,exists][dead][mod]
/targetenemy [help][noexists][noharm][dead][mod]
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead][harm,nodead]Spellname

/tar [@mouseover,harm,nodead]
/startattack

This won’t change your target if you’re targeting an ally, unlike the version you posted which will.

Not possible.

1 Like

/startattack

Thank you for the response and help. I’m pretty new to some of these macros. Would that line simply replace this line?

/targetenemy [help][noexists][noharm][dead][mod]

Also, if I wanted a macro for a damage only ability that prioritizes targets in the order of mouseover, focus, target, start attack (just to gain a target if none) would I essentially use what I have but add a focus condition?

These days, most abilities have built-in auto targeting. /startattack will target the nearest enemy and turn on your auto attack. It will not clear your target if you’re currently targeting a friendly.

In general I only use it on melee characters and only after the cast.
eg

#showtooltip
/use [mod:shiftalt,known:115750] Blinding Light; [mod:shift,known:378974] Bastion of Light; [mod:shift,known:343721,@cursor] Final Reckoning; [mod:shift,known:343527] Execution Sentence; [mod:alt] Hammer of Wrath; Judgment
/startattack

For actual spell casters I don’t find it useful.

That said, given your ask, when combining it with an ability I’d use the following:

#showtooltip
/cleartarget [noharm] [dead]
/startattack
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] [] ABILITY

That said, the main point/benefit of mouseover macros is to be able to cast on a secondary target without changing your current target. The technique you’re striving towards with these macros eliminates that benefit entirely and I don’t recommend it.

With that in mind, the most I’d personally use is:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] [] ABILITY
/startattack
1 Like

Okay, thanks again for all the replies. I’m probably explaining myself poorly making it seem like I simply need a mouseover, but that’s not the issue I’m really trying to resolve.

I normally main a Holy Paladin and use mouseovers almost exclusively on allies and enemies for targeted spells like holy shock or holy prism, etc. I also use exclusively mouseovers for my heals, utility, etc.

I turn on action targeting to ensure I always have a crusader strike or judgment target without worrying too much about which enemy it strikes.

The issue I ran into is that I’ve been dabbling in Fire mage and action targeting is messing with my ability to focus solely on a priority target for ignite cleave, but without it I have issues with immediately obtaining a new target in situations where my main target dies.

It sounds silly but I never tab target and have issues reaching the key with the way my hand rests. I generally mouse over and click to acquire a new target but sometimes it takes a gcd or two to get the correct target in large packs and each time I cast I get the “I don’t have a target” message creating downtime.

I essentially want action targeting that won’t randomly change my target from the priority target as I move around, but will still acquire an enemy target when I cast a spell if I don’t have one.

That’s why I was looking for something that eliminated any potential downtime by essentially prioritizing mouseover-> focus → target → any other enemy

The macro I added in my edit seems to have all that functionality minus including a focus target, but I’m not sure if it’s the best macro to accomplish my goal or not.

I heal the same way, minus the action targeting. So I’ve always got an enemy targeted and use mouseovers to heal.

Aside from the one bug in it (which might just be a copy/paste issue), the macro you posted is fine. If you want to add focus to it it’d be the following:

#showtooltip
/cleartarget [noharm] [dead]
/targetenemy [noharm] [dead] 
/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] [@focus,harm,nodead] [] SPELL

Alternatively, this might be of interest to you but it’d be a pretty big shift in gameplay.

1 Like

Oh that’s very interesting! I’ll have to try that. Thank you for all of the help I appreciate it!

1 Like