Concord at Krayt's Den [SWTOR Thread]

Title is a not-so-subtle play on “Wyrmrest Accord”.

So I won’t lie. I’m a fairly large fan of Star Wars. I love MMOs. So… Star Wars the Old Republic is a no-brainer, eh? Frankly, it’s a lovely thing. A good faction war. Quite a lot of customization, though it can get a little pricey if you reach into the cash shop. Surprisingly, however, the cash shop doesn’t make it pay to win. Just cosmetics.

The story’s good. The gameplay’s getting better. Really, my main complaint is that the RP scene is a little lacking.

There’s a new expansion coming out very soon, Holiday 2021, so I’m pretty excited. Especially since its adding loadouts and a Combat Styles system that means you can roll a Jedi Guardian (a good guy) and run around with a double bladed saber and shoot boys with lightning bolts. You can play a bounty hunter with a giant gattling gun. A secret agent running around with two boltblasters. A scoundrel with a sniper rifle. A sorcerer with two lightsabers.

Playing how you want is looking hype in 7.0. 7.0 in general is looking pretty nifty.

If I’ve piqued your interest, come and take a seat. I’ll pour you a drink. Let’s share some tales of a galaxy at war.

6 Likes

God, there were so many things that I adored about SWTOR, but the one major thing that always irked me more than anything else was how the way the game world was designed seemed like RP poison. Some planets like Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa that should’ve been community magnets, but instead felt like you just couldn’t even use them as scenery because they consisted almost exclusively of linear, narrow hallways packed to the gills with enemies.

It was so close to scratching that sci-fi itch for me… but in the worst possible way where it reminded me of all the fun I used to have in the open spaces of Galaxies.

That being said, I still miss my snobby Pureblood Sith princess. :sob:

6 Likes

Yeah the City Worlds from early SWTOR suffer from that a lot. That being said, a lot of the later zones and expansion stuff doesn’t suffer too much from it? Not all, of course, but it’s gotten less uber-dense with monsters. And, luckily enough, parties mow down packs quick enough that it probably won’t be too troublesome in the long run.

The linear hallways are definitely mostly gone. Mek-Sha was the most recent “city world” they put in and it was fairly open despite it being meant to be a cramped and crowded smuggler’s asteroid.

What’s gotten me to come back to it is definitely the prospect of continuing the story of my sith twins and their information baron adoptive mother. Who said you can’t have wholesome stuff in the Sith?

1 Like

Oh, really? I had to quit right around the time where they first started releasing those early digital expansions, like between Rise of the Hutt Cartel and the Revan one. I never got around to seeing any of the new worlds once the Fallen Empire stuff dropped, so it’s encouraging to hear that they were willing to design things with a bit more freedom and space!

Just hearing that is almost enough on its own to make me want to jump back in at some point, along with how much fun the “combat styles” revamp sounds (she said, silently lamenting her inability to give her Trooper a sniper rifle back when the game was still new…)

yeah you’ll be able to do that come 7.0 (and more)

SWTOR Combat styles. Troopers with sniper rifles.

Dark Jedi knights with lightning.

Light sith lords with force powers.

Basically Final Fantasy XIV job system in space.

Not really. A Gunbreaker uses Gunblades, nothing else. A Gunbreaker can’t just decide to use two gunblades, or a DRK sword. Nor can the Gunbreaker suddenly decide to play the alignment game and pick up dark aspected spells.

I think it would be cool if the FFXIV job system was introduced to it, though. Being able to play all things on one character would be grade A shenanigans.

And neither can they with the new system. A Sith Assassin will always use a dualsaber. A Jedi Sentinel will always use two lightsabers. You can’t switch them. Just like FFXIV’s job system has you switch between classes with distinctive weapons, so will this system.

Play on Starforge server use to be on Jung Ma/Ebon Hawk before they merged into mega servers. Not happy they took out server types.

yeah i remember when there were server types

the ancient times… :pensive:

1 Like

Yup a shame.

Oh man, if I knew where to find rp in this game, I’d probably spend most of my time there. But most attempts I made at finding it didn’t end well.

2 Likes

it seems to be mostly guild based, guilds on star forge have to specify theyre not rp guilds a lot of the time

but ive run into public rp in both republic and imperial fleet, seen it in action on dromund kaas and coruscant. its out there, its just not super populated since swtor isnt super populated

i have considered throwing together a guild, though, for people to join and futz around in. maybe one on both factions? called concord or krayt’s den since im like… 30% proud of the thread name.

I play both factions on Starforge.

I hope that there is a switch for force effects or something that’s not wholely based on the game’s alignment system. I’ve been playing a LS Sith Assassins since the game came out and I don’t want to wake up with my lightning suddenly switching to “debris” and concussive blasts.

Me too! Got my Sith Sorcerer, Jedi Knight, and Sith Marauder all to 75. Everyone else is either 50 or 70-ish.

1 Like

I love SWTOR but tbh I’ve only really ever felt able to play it as a single player game.

Roleplaying in SWTOR is a cool concept, but in my opinion SWTOR suffers from two things:

1. Your character is THE hero of the universe.
  2. The lore is fluid based on player decisions.

To elaborate, the first one is pretty self-explanatory. Like Legion’s Order Halls, or hell, Shadowlands’ Maw Walker, the fact that your character is THE hero of the story is really nice on one level… but makes it feel like a single player game. You don’t really feel like “one of the heroes”, alongside your friends. But this leads to point #2 - the lore. SWTOR’s lore is, in my opinion, growing ever more inconsistent and difficult to RP in without constructing a certain canonical structure within a guild or group of friends. I’m going to try to say this without spoilers… but the entire arc with the Alliance and its fight against Zakuul, for instance, has to be essentially ignored by the RP playerbase as the actual chronology of those events varies widely based on player choices. Who leads the Alliance? Along the way, who was spared? Who was killed? But even if you leave this and focus purely on the factions, it still gets messy. Is the Sith leader an Emperor or an Empress? Depends on player choices.

I guess what I’m saying is that, while I LOVE SWTOR, it feels like a really RP-unfriendly game, in that the “history” of the gameworld is entirely subjective to player choices, which makes it difficult to engage with directly.

From what I’ve heard, that is what will happen when they do the new class system. Force users abilities will be determined by LS/DS. Then again, I can easily see a “if you have a subscription or pay then don’t worry” scenario happening.

From what I understand, I think it’s something you can choose. LS and DS ability cosmetics will be locked out by alignment, I’m pretty sure.

In the past, I RPd extensively in SWTOR. I started on Sanctum of the Exalted wayyyy back at launch, and then also RPd on Ebon Hawk and Starforge.

The RP guilds here tend to keep to themselves and not RP so much in open RP like they did back in the day. If you’re interested in finding them, there’s an Enjin site and a Discord that you can hit up. There are a few RPers around on the Fleet, but most of the RP I participated in was in Strongholds, on ships or on guild missions.

The RP here is a little more…detailed…than you find on WoW. For instance, you’ll probably end up very immersed in everything from the Jedi or Sith code and what they mean, to what each color light saber blade signifies, to which light saber form your character would be using and what it looks like in roleplay, to what kind of ship you’re on.

It’s worth having a sub for the clothing options if you get into the RP here seriously. You can also spend a lot on stronghold and ship decor. I think I own every stronghold but the train. None of these are required in order to RP.

3 Likes