Concerned that prestige or "flex" items are being devalued by Blizzard

Nothing you said in that monstrosity of a comment refutes or invalidates the comment of the poster you were addressing. You’re just mindlessly ranting.

Something tells me you were one of the kids scooted along in classes so the school’s drop out rate declined and thus looked nicer for funding.

I agree but you’re still seeing it from your perspective. Because you want to limit fun for others so you can feel something for being special, it makes it not right in the end. It’s egoistic for the sole reason because you do not own these items. That’s why we can’t have nice things. We lease the server and character access and so far the service has been bad since BfA, but it looks like they are going to improve on this now.

People cannot do this anymore, which is the problem. The old challenges should stay available as evergreen content, without restrictions or catches.

Way to out yourself as a real class act there for all of GD to see… :wink:

While I understand the point you’re trying to make here is how I see it. Who is truly in the right on this? One could on the inverse argue that catering to those types makes the game not fun for what I enjoy doing which is pursuing greater challenges and taking pride in those accomplishments.

So at a point it’s now essentially: “My way of thinking ruins the fun for others, but the things they are demanding ruins the fun for me.” I at the very least am not aggrieving anybody by sticking to the status quo. I’d view an utter upending of how the genre was meant to function from day one as a bit more egregious but it is entirely likely it is utterly impossible to see eye to eye on this one which I think you and I can both accept and just shrug at.

Me, of course. FOMO-items are good but only if they are off-color. Lore-based colorizations should stay always relevant and accessible, no matter what. The developers read my popular topic from summer, which also covered the Tyrael Charger which is currently available for purchase.

The good thing is, the majority won. Older items are coming back and it’s just a question until the developers have to bend the knee and bring everything back. Treating the customers unfairly is never a solution.

People really seem to confuse the mmo sense of your character having rewards that aren’t common with “lOl yOuR eGO chEcK ReAL lIFe” nonsense.

There should always items that are exclusive and give players a goal to reach within the game. And if that time investment isn’t worth it for you then just don’t bother, I don’t care about exclusive items anymore but when I got my Firelands staff and was the only Alliance player on my server with it (for a week) it did feel great.

If you have the time for it, prestige items should remain exclusive.

1 Like

And I can tell you from experience with numerous other games, the day that ends up being the case this game will alienate anybody who has something they’re proud to have and thus die. The forums are a pitifully small representation of the playerbase. Elite Sets from past seasons come back? PvPers will quit outside of the tournament players.

That coming to pass will 100% solidify my decision to delete everything on my account and move to another MMO regardless of my friends from school still playing this mess for God knows what reason when other MMOs exist. In which case I will happily be on FF14 full time because I know my Ultimate clear weapons will never be given away for money by the developers.

Just gonna stop you right there with the wall of text that helm that set still exists you know what doesnt anymore alot of titles, mounts, items like og ashbringer, they cut out to create vanity rare items.
Take the bruto they removed it from a vendor, why? What reason was there to remove a massive gold sink?
To create rarity oh sure they added to bmah but only one can buy it at a time and its always going to be gold cap or pretty close to it.
Just about all the bs you tossed into that wall of text is still in game or better yet in the revamp re release of classic.

Old Ashbringer never existed outside of being a GM (Gamemaster) weapon. The sword NEVER was released to the game, only breadcrumbs for a quest they never finalized which involved a white phylactery.

Oh your about to get some hate for that one it does exist lol.

The forums do not represent much. But MMO-champion and reddit do agree with the “release everything”-people, so it’s just a matter of time. Feel free to check the linked topic out, I really can see that they took some notes from it.

Some of them are required to come back to lore-reasons. Monk-players have no access to their Chi/Mistweaver-healing colorization (pvp elite set) and the others are off-colors. Forsaken-player have no access to the blight sets, because they are also only available as off-colors. Such things should NEVER happen in the first place.

Free free to move over. If you really need validation in prestige, then focus on RL-stuff which cannot be taken away any moment.

1 Like

If some one else has something I have Im going to quit this game!

Neat. I dont care about your flexing. Its kind of weird you do

Surely You have worthwhile things be proud of?

It’s funny you say that, because those exact types of interactions tend to be the ones that make people feel really good. Noticing someone wearing a shirt with a band or video-game you’re also into, complimenting someone on some really nice shoes if you’re a sneaker-head, things like that – all perfectly normal stuff.

MMO’s are a social experience, and being able to show your character off is one of the ways we play together. It’s not weird for players to want to take some pride in their characters.

1 Like

Pride? In what? That you signed a contract where you forego ownership of these items you are so proud of?

You’ve already answered your own question for yourself. Being proud of prestige or flex items that have a supposed time window on availability is like being proud of winning your online fantasy football league in back in 2003: that stuff was in the past.

Hard truth time: you can grind like hell on games like City of Heroes, Asheron’s Call, Final Fantasy XI, Runescape, Wildstar, Phantasy Star Online v1.0, or Everquest, and you’ll have great memories of it with all the people you’ve met, but there’s gonna be a day when the servers shut down, real life just takes priority, or you just lose interest, and those items fade away whether you want them to or not. It’s inevitable, which is why you can’t take this stuff too seriously.

The loot and items are essentially meaningless in the long run of things: the only reason you get new items is so you can take on new challenges. No prestige, just progress.

Do I feel like my character has “value” because I have a bunch of items that can’t be obtained anymore? The stuff is cool, but time marches on, and the game’s artists have been making better-looking stuff with higher resolution and better effects. Sure, my hunter looks cool wearing her Challenge Mode armor and the unobtainable Frenzystrike Longbow, but the armor is nearly a decade old and the bow even older: she looked great in MOP before the graphical update, but the stuff don’t look so good when worm by my new character model. (I don’t want to say that the art team peaked with the Howling Beast set, but…let’s just say it would be nice if the rest of the hunter community had access to this rather than being stuck with the godawful mail sets that have been crapped out for the last eight years.)

Hell, I just shelved my hunter main of fifteen years to start a rogue, a class I never thought I’d touch. Yeah, all of my ‘prestige’ items are on my hunter, but sunk cost fallacy doesn’t apply when it feels like garbage. New expansion, new challenges, new class.

The prize for your time spent in WOW isn’t the items or loot but the experience in the game, as it is happening. That’s why the first real goal in the game is generally to find yourself a guild: this isn’t a solo game.

3 Likes

My biggest flex is that I can stop playing wow whenever I want to.

2 Likes

You value digitial items on the basis that you have a digital piece of data and others dont have a digital piece of data that only exists in a digital video game that you have to pay to even access meaning you dont even actually own it cause Blizzard could cancel your subscription or shut down its servers at any time…

I have not heard of a more meaningless materialistic view of personal validation in all my life.

Taking a break every now and then really does help put things in perspective.