Computer grinding noise

It’s been happening on startup for the past couple months. I found out yesterday if I just leave it on it’ll stop eventually but it wouldn’t at first I don’t think. I used to have to restart once or a few times and it’d just stop.
I checked task manager and everything was low but the memory was at 50% and it looked like antimalware was at the top but only using like 240 mb so I figure it’s not that. Sometimes it starts without any of that noise. Does anyone know why that happens?

I have it overclocked to 5 ghz but I had it like that before this started I believe.

What cooling solution are you using?

Are you using an AIO?
Could be the pump getting rid of some air bubbles and you mistaking it for grinding noises.

1 Like

I bought it pre built but it’s liquid cooled.

Have you validated the integrity of your hard disk(s)?

I have had damaged media that made this noise and it wouldn’t always do it.

2 Likes

I just did it and it started back with no noise so that might’ve been it! Thanks so much!

Could be a number of things.

You could have a fan dying, you could have something that has dropped into a fan, could even be the fan on your graphics card.

I would open it up and see if you can’t locate the source.

This will require having the panel open while it’s running so you can troubleshoot. Don’t worry, computer techs do it all the time, it won’t hurt it to have the side open for a bit while you look around.

Just be careful which things you poke so you don’t break something or short something out.

I bought this computer in April 2020, hopefully nothing’s wrong. It did say repairing when I did that and it started back up without the noise so maybe fixed?

Maybe, if it were me I’d still check out the fans. I know the last couple of computers I built I has some stray wires that just weren’t long enough and they would drip close to a spinning fan.

Also had some fans I bought brand new just die within 6 months and need to be replaced. Really just depends on how they were made.

You might have caught it, but I would keep your ears open and be ready to do some digging if it starts up again.

2 Likes

Ok a dying fan would make more sense but I think it’s weird that it only does it sometimes.

Chances are as you indicated, if it was a dying fan, it would happen a lot of the time/consistently.

Just be careful, don’t want to make it worse by poking around without reason. I assume that the repair thingy might have relocated bad sectors or whatever. I would definitely make some backups to cloud on important things (Like your wow WTF folder.) just in case.

Just keep testing it out and see if whatever you did stopped the issue. (and hope that’s it, lol.)

3 Likes

I’ve had aging or troubled HDDs that do that on startup because a scan is being performed automatically by the OS or installed software, but that occurs after the OS itself loads. If it’s happening immediately on power up it may be something else.

I’ve had GPU and case fans that started failing by making an intermittent grinding or groaning noise before the sound eventually became constant. Restarting the machine or even tilting it could sometimes at least momentarily stop the noise.

If you have an SDD it’s probably not the source of your grinding sound. If you have an HDD, these videos might help you better identify whether it’s the source of the sound you’re hearing.

2 Likes

It was loud on startup again but stopped after leaving it for a few minutes. I built my first in 2013 but I just bought this one prebuilt since I had the money and kinda regretting it.

Does this grinding noise happen the moment you power on? Like does it make it to windows quietly or just right off the bat? Cold boot (just powered on from being off for awhile) or everytime it powers on?

I’d just start unplugging one thing at a time to see which item is causing it.

wait… check if it is the power supply fan that’s making the noise… if you can

I had the grinding noise problem a few years ago. It was my 10 year old spinner giving up the ghost.