Computer Gets Loud While Running Wow Classic

If running Wow suddenly becomes more stressful on your computer, try disabling vertical sync in your in-game graphics settings.

For the longest time, I could run Classic Wow on max graphics without any trouble. This put very little stress on my computer. Then, one day, my computer started getting very loud as the fans dramatically sped up while playing the game in an attempt to keep the computer cool. I assumed that the computer hardware just needed to be dusted but dusting the computer did not fix the issue. In an effort to protect my computer’s hardware, I dropped the graphic down to 1/10 (low graphics) and that fixed the problem and I continued to play this way for months. Then, Cata Beta came out, and while playing that, I noticed that I could run Cata on max settings without any hassle from my computer, which made it clear that my problem must have been a game specific setting. I played around with a few settings and discovered that disabling vertical sync significantly “de-stressed” my computer. Turned out, my Nvidia GeForce Experience had enabled this setting, so I’m posting this here in case any1 runs into this same issue.

Make sure ray-tracing is turned off! Every now and then on first install or after an update blizz will turn it on, and a computer is sure to heat up!
If not that, try keeping target frame-rate at 60, and max at 60 to make sure things are good.

1 Like