Computer freezes when I try to login

Update:
Update: I have since reinstalled wow fresh and made sure my nvidia driver was up to date. It is still freezing up. Now the first second of the opening animation starts, the word Blizzard appears on the screen and it freezes. The audio continues to play but the entire pc is otherwise locked up. help!

I was able to play on patch day, everything was fine with the exception of ui issues that are to be expected. I attempted to login again this afternoon and the game froze completely and locked my pc as well. I could not tab out, ctrl-alt-del, get the windows menu to pop up… I had to hold the power down and reboot my machine that way. I tried a second time after updating my mods in twitch and it did the same thing. The game is launching and showing the Retrieving Realm List but thats where it freezes. My pc should be way beyond the requirements of SL, so I don’t think that will have anything to do with it. Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hey there Fluffhead,

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out with those details! This sort of behavior can be caused by a conflicting third-party program, so let’s try closing any potentially conflicting programs/applications by disabling startup items with the steps below. Before trying the steps below, please close unnecessary programs and restart your computer:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
  2. Click More Details in the bottom-left.
  3. Select the Startup tab.
  4. Right-click on each item listed and select Disable. Make sure all are “Disabled”.
  5. Restart the computer.

If the issue is resolved after restarting your system, you can enable each startup application one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem. You will need to restart between each application you enable.

Note: To re-enable startup applications, follow steps 1-4 and select Enable.

If the same behavior occurs after restart, please post a ‘DxDiag’ so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

I found another thread with people having a similar problem and I found a fix, turning off the xbox game dvr in windows settings and disabling the nvidia geforce game overlay did the trick. I could log in and the game was fine once I made those settings changes.