Complete disappointment with Blizzard

So I played classic back in 2019 when it first came out, had a bunch of fun, but I wasn’t looking to play BC so I took a break. I came back yesterday to find out all my Classic characters are now on WOTLK servers… I try customer support and they tell me I cant get my character back? I don’t want to play WOTLK or BC, those are awful expansions, I only want to play Vanilla WoW.

I didn’t choose to send my characters to BC or WOTLK, Blizzard made this choice for me. It’s totally unfair.

Has anyone had success in getting their characters back?

17 Likes

no
they are gone
good news is that lvling on classic era is a lot of fun :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah I was looking forward to it, but I had names reserved on my characters I was waiting to level I wont get back.

I just put a ton of time into my Hunter, like that was the whole point of Classic is that I wouldn’t have to worry about losing the character if I was on an official Classic server. Private Servers are more reliable at this point.

2 Likes

They made some pretty poor choices with Classic.

It got so bad that I went back to Retail… Which is sad. WotLK was my favorite xpac ever.

4 Likes

Like i wasnt looking forward at all to BC and WOTLK and so I was like, Ill take a break.

I came back, paid the sub fee, and then find out my characters are just gone, first they till me they are deleted clone characters then they try to say oops they are actually in WOTLK, sooooo did someone move my character to WOTLK? I don’t want them there, move them back, I’m literally never going to log in and play on that expansion.

4 Likes

None of the current classic staff has ever played classic. Ever. They dont know what they are doing. They dont know the difference between a bug or a game mechanic. I doubt that they will make SoM any good with the team they have right now. They can just release classic 2019 servers because they already have the backup. They just gotta turn on some new servers, allow the progression to happen, then thats it. But still, it is such a shame that theyve made some bonehead choices with classic. They need to turn this around and do better.

8 Likes

blizz is garb company now that makes the worst choices. :frowning:

4 Likes

Since TBC launch we were given to option to choose where the character was going to stay. Either move on to TBC or stay in Classic Era. You’ve been gone for years seems like. There was actually a big window to keep your characters in Classic Era. Pretty sure for most of TBC this option was given and made permanent with Wrath since TBC got yeeted.

That’s my frustration, is that why was the default to move characters? That makes no logical sense, who cares about BC

4 Likes

i think the devs just assumed everyone would want to progress to the expansion and only a few dedicated weirdos would want to stay in vanilla lol.

1 Like

That’s less than forever.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a really great point. We shouldn’t have uncertainty about our character’s future.

A lot of people play classic for the sole reason that they never need to rush, it will always be there, they can take a year to get to 60 if they want etc.

But with what blizzard did by auto-transferring, it completely killed that vibe and if the players are to be confident about their character’s longevity in the future, blizzard should correct the error that set the bad precedent.

6 Likes

this guarantee of permanence was never actually made in classic vanilla, it was only made in classic era, which is a different game technically.

It totally is. I really don’t know why they decided to do things the way they did with snapshotting, forcing a decision, and then for those who didn’t choose anything, pushing everything to TBC/WotLK…

Why not just allow people to select to upgrade WoW Classic characters, if they want to, to TBC Classic → WotLK Classic → etc. wherever, whenever… or never, if that’s what they want?

Anyway, I hope you have some luck with this OP!

2 Likes

100%, “you think you do, but you don’t” is hardcore their philosophy and how they look down at classic players.

Personally, I can see how this would be annoying to someone who just came back.

Here’s the original information on cloning where no end date is even hinted at making the choice appear indefinite:
Burning Crusade Classic Character Clone Service Details - Wowhead News

I also don’t think it matters if there was a choice for a year, if a person wasn’t playing that’s not relevant. I can log on to my original Vanilla Retail characters today and they’re on the same server with the same names in my personal guild from 2004. If I did the same with my characters from say Classic Herod that I hadn’t touched they’d be hidden on Wrath C Sulfuras with a bunch of numbers after the name and honestly my level of desire to play them would be absolutely zero. Now granted Retail chars if the accounts are not logged into for like 5 years have their names expire and the expansions do update but what I said is still accurate.

Chadwick, you can probably get your names if you want since Era had server clusters with lots of names available but yes the toons you were coming back to are probably not where you want them and I get how that could be frustrating. Support can’t help sadly. :frowning:

3 Likes

thank you, there’s such a missed opportunity to help classic players with offering services like that, its beneficial to Blizzard to offer paid services to do exactly that. Good PR and profit for them. I cant understand why they would help people like me out.

1 Like

Yeah, vanilla is all that matters. Every expansion is just a bad version of retail. I don’t get the draw. Esports nonsense started in TBC. That mentality has been a thorn in blizzard’s creativity ever since.

6 Likes

I get it, but Classic was suppose to mean classic, the community who wanted classic wasn’t here to progress through WoW all over again, I had the impression that my characters would be more reliably taken care of then a Private server.

The other more annoying point now for me, is the first customer service rep said my characters were deleted clones and couldn’t be recovered. Then the next Rep in on the same ticket, said they put those “unrecoverable” characters were now placed on a WOTLK server… So someone in the course of my open ticket went against what the first Rep said and put those characters on a WOTLK server… if they can just break their own rules like that I don’t see why they cant put those characters back onto a classic server, this now seems more like a service they refuse to do, rather then a technical impossibility.

4 Likes

why are you subscribed then? To complain on the forums?

1 Like