Compilation blizzard lies - Alliance edition

i wanted to make this thread to leave in evidence how blizzard has lied to his players, in this case, alliance players.
now, i know that blizzard has done the same to horde players and
i am sure that they have their own problems but i also felt disappointed by… many things in this xpac and i wanted to take a moment to review all the times that blizzard has lied to us.

First of all, big thanks to my friend pellex who has been doing a similar thread (and cannibal) who inspired this one.

without further ado:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9usbtb/rwow_blizzcon_interview/

And finally, the one that actually pisses me off that inspired me to make this thread,is not an interview, is from the novel.elegy.

foollowed by:
in Regards to tyrande and the night elves: (interview)

Thats all what i can thing right now, if i missed anything please feel free to suggest another one.
Also, honorable mention to warbringers jaina, while i do liked her arc so far, i think we can all agree that her warbringer is just BS because she is not in a killing spree like it was sold in that video.
Also, another mention to the BfA Cinematic when i saw for first time i genuinely feel pride for anduin and the alliance because it was when
apparently he finally put his big boi pants and was ressing people like a badass and attacking lordaeron because it was the right thing to do.

Sadly… then everything surround it was revealed.

With that being said, my biggest disappointment so far in this expansion is,primarly the revenge of the night elves, the lack of an actual story in the alliance and not player choice at all while the horde gets CGI cinematics.
is too much to ask… a story… about… the alliance? (key difference between story for anduin/jaina than the alliance as a whole)

Thank you all for reading.

EDIT:now with improved links!

82 Likes

god! they love to lie to us, anduin’s attack on lordaeron was all about justice

47 Likes

I wasn’t aware we had a story

10 Likes

To be fair, some of these stories might still come up before the end of the expansion? We really don’t know anything about patch 8.3 yet.

4 Likes

Months later I still have no clue what they meant by this.

Honestly I don’t think Blizzard intentionally lied. I think they just failed to execute whatever the hell this story was meant to be. In their heads they thought it was going to come out different. Remember that ultimately there are lots of people working on the same story that have to pull it together into a single product. Not excusing the plot, but what someone said in an interview not matching the final product is not necessarily a result of lies and deceptive intentions on their part.

11 Likes

That’s a translated (badly) interview. Not sure that it holds much weight in terms of context and meaning. It’s just words.

Honestly most of these snippets are “priming”, they know what the next big “wow” cinematic or moment will be and they want to put you in the state of mind for maximum subversion of expectations by at worst straight up lying and at best being deceptive in how they answer the questions.

I think she had her moment where we told some of her story and she got her revenge for the Night Elves.

58 Likes

I think blizz thinks tgeir loyalty and willingness to blindky follow a keader is tgeur good side and just how easily they commit acts of brutality.

A failure of a decentralized business structure, perhaps? Where the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing?

They mentioned the different teams being “silod”, which is a very tactful way of describing lopsided communication between the teams and whoevers coordinating things.

3 Likes

the quote was talking about the upcoming cinematics, the “abnormal” side was her warbringer, i guess.

as for the “good side of the horde” i bet that they are referring to the 4 cgi cinematics about saurfang.

i truly hope that you are right.

3 Likes

What a let down that was.

Yeah, we have come miles since the days of TBC, but the storytelling is supremely disjointed, nonsensical with plot elements dropped left, right, and centre. It blows my mind that other MMOs, even ones that are considered as failed MMOs, tell a more cohesive story than Blizzard circa 2019.

Great thread btw.

27 Likes

Pure and simple.

They don’t care.

Even if they do they’re ignoring it in favour as to whoever decreed that the current stream of story and content was irreversible and had to be seen through to its ridiculous end.

Regrettably at the end of the day story isn’t a crucial pillar to the games experience nowadays more bonus content that takes a backseat to the current player experience…that is also reasonably poorly executed and drawn out these days.

8 Likes

So much of this could have been avoided if they had a screening audience. So much more of this could have been avoided if we had a writing team that was passionate about the franchise.

But here we are.

21 Likes

baine and saurfang working for alliance. So, their yours now, keep them.

4 Likes

Good side is when horde working for alliance, cause alliance are good guys.

5 Likes

Gonna leave my usual PSA when I see stuff like this.

Per that Metzen interview people outside the writing department appear to make the bigger story decisions which are then given to the story department to dramatize.

Which is a staggeringly stupid way to write a story but it also explains the staggeringly stupid story we have.

26 Likes

The story has not been good. Character motivtion has been chaotic or non existant.

But, much of this isnt lies. Its been their goals, of which they have fallen short. There have been a couple circumstances where it would be a lie but for the most part its them thinking that the story will be precieved one way but their bad writing doesnt deliver. They are simply missing the mark.

This was indeed a lie. The alliance have been nothing but justified in their retribution. As we have all seen, It was also a lie that the horde would have justification in the attack. The story has pointed to the exact oposite and the horde was wrong.

But i dont see how this qualifies as a lie. How will they recover? Where will the go? Whats their new capitol going to be? How is their relationship with the alliance going to be affected by this? They may not be good but these are foundations for future stories.

I agree that the “revenge” that the nightelves got is lackluster and that much of the community feels the same. Unfortuently there is no concrete gauge for revenge. This is opinion based.

I am glad players are getting on their case about these discrepancies. We need to be carful and concise when it come to our critiques and criticisms if we want to see changes.

Tldr; blizzard hasnt lied that much. They have done a crap job are connecting with the playerbase and the story elements havent been recieved as intended.

9 Likes

well i count that as a lie because “tyrande got her revenge for the night elves” is clearly a lie.

i truly hope that we have something for 8.2.5 and 8.3… but until then… is just a lie.

15 Likes

My bet is 8.3 will be all about fighting sylvanas we will solve nzoth in the naga raid ir 8.2.5

Christie Golden wrote ‘Before the Storm’. I’m not going to give them the slip for optional side literature. She flubbed the story on the extra credit homework and Danuser, as well as Afrasiabi, aren’t helping, given how wild and weird their stances and ideas are.

That said, for the way they function, you are correct, that is earth shatteringly absurd. You’d think they, at least, would still hire a screening audience.

9 Likes