Companion app will not open unless connected to Wi-Fi

Began using the companion app following the Shadowlands launch. The app will not connect to the Battle.net app unless I am connected to Wi-Fi. As of this post I have the most current version of the app by both the Android store and the Blizzard site. I have no updates pending for the phone. Have done a phone restart. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Have verified all connectivity permissions are allowing apps to connect when not connected to Wi-Fi. Looking for a resolution to this issue. Thank you for any assistance provided.

7 Likes

I have this same issue and dropped a bug report on it as well, both here and a 1 star review on the Play store. Still no fix.

Hello I also have been having this same issue. I can log into the companion app just fine at home on my wifi, however when I am not on my wifi and using LTE such as at work or where ever I cannot connect. The exact wording of the error I get when I hit the login button and sit at the loading bar (which stays at empty or a fraction of a part is filled and stays at that same fraction of a part filled) is “Unable to connect. Please check that you have the latest version of the companion app.” There was a different error too but it isn’t showing up now. It said something about cannot connect to battle.net. I made sure to restart my phone, uninstall and reinstall the companion app. Still cannot login.

Edit: I am using Sprint (now owned by T-Mobile). I am using a Motorola Power G, with the default Android OS. What do I need to do in order to use the wow companion app while not on wifi?

1 Like

I am also having this issue. If it is now wi-fi only, it makes the app useless, because the only wifi im liable to connect to is the network my PC is on, completely defeating the point of a mobile app.

I was sent here by the Twitter CS to report the bug as well. This is after attempting to do a work around that they do for hearthstone by changing the APN and the CDMA. Neither of which has worked. I am still stuck in loading unless I connect to a wifi at home or I have access too. Please fix this issue Blizz

Same here. Using Google fi. I’ve seen its mainly things t mobile related on Android devices. Cleared app cache. Reinstalled not out of data. I’ve seen its been a issue for a while unsure if it was ever fixed or if shadowlabds update broke it again

I am on a Samsung Galaxy. I have had this issue of not being able to connect unless I am on wifi since midway through BfA. I was using an older galaxy then, and have reinstalled the app numerous times.

I am having the same issue only I’m in Canada and using Rogers for my data. It really doesn’t make sense for this app to only be used at home

Same issue here. Same network. Galaxy S20

Same issue. T-Mobile, Galaxy S10

Android Version 10
Build Number - QP1A.190711.020.G973U1UES4ETJ3
Android Security patch level - November 1, 2020

It’s probably an incompatibility with the wireless providers’ network (preferring IPv6) with Blizzard’s choice to implement their mobile app services with IPv4 only.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-companion-app-wi-fi-only-for-sprintt-mobile-users/751962/2

I assume Blizzard will add IPv6 compatibility at some point, but if you don’t want to wait around the linked post has a cross-post to the Hearthstone forum with a detailed workaround (reconfiguring your mobile device to enable IPv4 compatibility and connect to Blizz mobile services as they are now).

1 Like

Why aren’t we able to connect on a public wifi. Currently I’m only able to connect at home.

I tried explaining that.

Blizzard appears to be only allowing the older Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) for connections for their mobile apps. The mobile providers seem to be (by default) allowing only IPv6 (newer network protocol) on their mobile data connections. So, incompatible, resulting in failure to connect.

The Blizzard article has instructions to change the settings on your phone to access IPv4 as well as IPv6, allowing compatibility with Blizzard network services.

I tried the work around suggested above and this time once I opened the wow companion app it told me.i didn’t have an Internet connection.

I chatted with T-Mobile and they gave me this fix. You can call them to verify.

In your device settings, locate “Access Point Names” (APN)
Open the selected APN and copy these settings down or screenshot it for later.
Go to the APN, and create a new APN.
Enter in what you wrote down/screenshot in step 2 into the new APN. Make sure the name is different. Do not save this yet.
Find the APN Protocol on the new APN and change it to IPv4/IPv6. Do the same thing for APN Roaming Protocol.
Save the APN, and make sure its using this APN. Once that’s done, restart the phone.

Also having this issue on Tmobile. What’s the point of a mobile app if you can’t use it on a mobile network

1 Like

I have Samsung note 10+ on T-Mobile. I also have the same issue and I can’t change my APN settings, or I missing a step from above listed post. Wish this app worked, sitting in traffic and not being able to use this really blows lol

Same here. On mi iphone. App is meaningless if cannot be accessed on the movez

1 Like