[Community Council] iLvl squish/Raid Relevance

Since the Community Council is a locked thread without replies I suppose this is the only place to share my thoughts on the proposal for a change.

The argument for squishing T9 onwards ilvl to maintain the relevancy of Ulduar is an absolute joke. Ulduar regardless of TOGC HC ilvl being 245 or 258 is of equal relevance in the next tier for the following reasons:
1- 226/239 Loot are both worse than 245 loot meaning you still replace the same pieces you would anyways in T9.
2- Ulduar already keeps itself on the raid schedule for the average guild during T9 because of Valanyr and trinkets. Whether TOGC is 245 or 258 the trinkets and Legendary Mace are still desired and BiS.
3- The Blizzard change to make TOGC trinkets ‘Unique’ between Normal/Heroic already solved a scenario where Ulduar trinkets have less relevancy for a player in T9.

As a follow-up I’d like to dive into Point 2 a bit further. What guild drops Ulduar Valanyr fragment farming the moment TOGC drops? Am I blatantly unaware that majority of the playerbase in WoW hates their healers in their guild and doesn’t value the strength of more Legendary Maces in their raid team? In Classic Vanilla there was a similar Legendary called ‘Thunderfury’ that came in an earlier phase in the game, genuinely consider how many guilds did you hear of that said “Yeah guys BWL/AQ40 is out. We are done worrying about Bindings for our Tanks, its old content at this point”. In my memory, not a single guild I know of dropped MC/Binding runs from their Raid Schedule in Classic until well into P6(which would be the equivalent of dropping Valanyr runs during ICC NOT TOGC) outside of guilds that had enormous luck and got 4+ Thunderfury’s extremely early on.

As a final point, if the backup argument for the ilvl squish is to make future tiers harder Blizzard has already shown with their 30% hp/dmg Naxx 25 blanket buff they are willing and capable of tuning raids up in difficulty without destabilizing the authentic Classic WOTLK experience players remember in terms of gear 15 years ago. A tailored or blanketed raid buff on ICC for dmg/hp values is a much easier solution than to re-stat budget hundreds of items across TOGC/Onyxia/ICC/RS and their 10/25 and N/HC difficulties.

9 Likes

They made an open thread about it:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wotlk-news-a-live-chat-with-devs/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.