Community Based Retail Server (Retail Server with Classic Approach)

This sounds a lot like “you think you do but you don’t”.

And yet, classic seems to be quite popular.

It just released. And it’s already divided the community. And it isn’t the greatest thing since sliced bread.

More Connected Realms, drop CRZ, let the dev teams actually develop the game and stop dividing people more.

1 Like

Actually, it’s brought a lot of players back to the game.

…seekingalpha…/article/4290417-activision-blizzard-wow-classic-launch-revitalizes-declining-franchise-share-price

“WoW Classic is estimated to account for 50% of ATVI’s Blizzard segment growth this year.”

…screenrant…/wow-classic-release-activision-blizzard-stock/

“in the first day of its release, although it has been experiencing another time-honored problem - the WoW Classic login queues are abysmal on some servers, with some players reporting upwards of 6 hour queue times on the more populous realms.”

…finance.yahoo…/news/large-option-traders-jump-activision-184209592.html

“Activision Blizzard re-released “WoW Classic” Monday on the 15th anniversary of the original game release. Within hours of its release, the game generated more than one million viewers on Twitch, a new record. On Tuesday, “WoW” was the most-watched game on Twitch, with nearly 600,000 viewers. [Those numbers] dwarf other popular games like Fortnite (106,000 viewers) and League (113,000 viewers).”

===

The point is classic has been GOOD for the bottom line of Blizzard. It’s brought people and money BACK to the game.

This is not dividing the community. This is restoring it, regrowing it.

How long will it last???

Good question.

Even if it’s a year that’s a lot of money and subs and people to play with.

No… it’s brought a lot of people to Classic and created the poop show of one vs the other bs we keep seeing on these forums.

It’s divided the community and created more toxicity.

The money the company makes is irrelevant to how the community is reacting and the fact that your “proposal” does nothing but divide people more and take away resources from actually fixing the community and retail as a whole.

3 Likes

I am not sure what “poopshow” of a community you are part of but right now I am mainly playing classic and what I have found there is a very promising vibe. I have had a lot of good experiences in that community.

I think what you are talking about is the division found here on the forums. However, division of opinion has always been on these forums, no mattter what we are talking about.

Don’t mistake vigorous debate for something that’s not actually doing anything to the game community in-game.

But yes, a lot of people are coming back to WoW, that’s not debateable at this point. What you can debate is how long people will stick around doing end game Classic. Only time will tell.

And if you are disappointed BfA is whithering while classic WoW is booming, that should tell you something about my OP.

It’s popular NOW after less than a month… in 6 months or a year nobody knows. Regardless all the the things you want belong in Classic NOT Retail

2 Likes

How long until people complain that the server is dead, they can’t find groups to do m+ or raid?

3 Likes

Pristine Servers were only talked about as an option if Classic wasn’t released. As soon as they decided to release Classic the idea of Pristine Servers was dead.

However you feel about it, the fact remains that Classic did in fact bring a lot of players back to activate subs to WoW to play Classic.

And this is why I feel WoW will take the EverQuest approach to these types of servers.

Create a new one yearly, to monetize the hype. Take advantage of the people that will play on a new classic/tbc/etc server hard for 6 months, then quit. But come back for the next server launch.

Blizzard wasted enough time, energy, resources, and money on classic servers.

I don’t want to see them waste more time, money, energy, and resources on nonsense like this and end up with another poorly received expansion.

You want classic restrictions and classic style gameplay? Go. Play. Classic. Stop trying to muck around with live.

5 Likes

Classic servers that way—>

I’m sure lol.

2 Likes

No, it pretty much split the community. Yes, you had some returning players. But it split the community with some retail players leaving for classic. And it’s doubtful those that returned for classic will suddenly pick up retail.

That’s the danger in continually adding different types of servers, you continually split up your player-base into smaller pieces. And your development budget gets pulled in different directions to the detriment of the retail game.

I think a good reason BfA launched the way it did was because resources had to be diverted to get classic off the ground.

2 Likes

My guess is whatever classic cost in terms of time, energy, resources, money, it’s more than paid for itself and will continue to do so. It’s been a wise investment from a money perspective.

There are many news articles that show this.

Just good wow classic stock price.

I think this is a legitimate point. Classic may be dead in 6 months. Only time will tell on this. I hope not. But I do think there will be a point where classic will feel stagnant, despite the superior community / cohesive world experience. Hence, my idea of retail servers with classic enhancements.

And again, this is only for select servers, not retail in general. For those that want the auto-queue highly instanced game design with a somewhat meaningless server community, I say keep retail WoW as is for those people.

But what was the cost? Basically an entire expansion filled with lackluster story, bad class design, cheap and recycled features, among other problems.

Plus your idea would not be received well because the majority of people playing life want the qol features you want to gut in these servers.

You idea wouldn’t bring back players. Your idea would suck money out of the next xpac for something a majority of players wouldn’t care about.

2 Likes

There is simply ZERO need to waste time and resources creating the kind of servers you’re talking about. Anyone who wants that experience can play Classic.

3 Likes

Right.

Waste time, energy and resources and make millions of dollars over what their current time, energy and resources were netting with modern WoW…

I hope they do muck around with live because it needs it, badly.

They should try something like this on a special rules server and there’s no reason they shouldn’t because they could see if there was any real interest. They were surprised at how popular Classic would be maybe they would be surprised at how many people would play on a special rules server like this. Having a community is so important to an MMORPG. Kill the cross-realm stuff, get rid of layering, let the local community develop.

I tried Classic and what put the stake in the heart for me was when they opened Earthfury and my guild transferred to it from Herod. That was a mistake to move because Earthfury is a dead server and it reminded me of Retail WoW where I solo all day.

Herod was exciting and I woke up at 3 a.m. to play and I was constantly getting jumped while playing while also helping others in the zones when they were attacked-- Earthfury is dead and I left my 31 Hunter stranded there because it was no different than playing on Retail…both feel like single-player games.

Your use of the blanket acronym/phrase “QoL” seems misused or overstated. First off, “QoL” refers to “Quality of Life” and as such would indicate whatever retail features you would want to not lose actually add “Quality” to the game or your life. I think it’s highly disputable that many “QoL” features actually add quality. However, they do add “convenience” perhaps you should just say that in order to be more accurate.

That said, nowhere in my OP did I recommend gutting convenience features from these special retail servers. My recommendations were all aimed at removing things that are actually a detriment to the game, i.e. worse quality of life/game, from a socially cohesive server standpoint of the game. And again, for those who seem to either have poor reading comprehension or just didn’t take time to really look at what I have been saying, this is on select servers only, NOT all retail servers.

The point would be to combine the best of retail/modern WoW (i.e. common sense convenience features, better raids, better dungeons, better animations, graphics, storytelling, etc.) with the best of classic/vanilla WoW (i.e. a better overall social experience, socially cohesive realms/servers, social context that makes things feel like they actually matter, shared gaming space, etc.).

Boom! This guy gets it. The devs at Blizzard should really start looking at what makes classic/vanilla so great. It’s the community/social environment/immersion more than anything else. It’s not just tedium for tedium’s sake. It’s the idea that everything we do in game has some bigger context.

It’s pretty obvious BfA and retail WoW was on the way down. It’s oft cited how depressed Ion and the dev team have been about BfA’s reception. It’s also obvious how much excitement classic has garnered. They need to learn from that.

If they serve up another generic expansion which is just a reskin of every other expansion, then retail WoW will never recover. There are just too many other games to compete now. It’s no longer the king.

But, if they combined a best of all possible worlds, which is what Blizz is known for, they might do well.

No thanks…Classic is that way >>>>> If i wanted to go back 15 years, i would play classic, please keep it there. Thanks

1 Like