Combating RMT & Bots (From a former Currency Seller)

Apparently someone didn’t read my first quoted post where you claim it is a fact that most multiboxers are cheaters.

From the standpoint of Conducting RMT through third parties and how they function and what changes affect them most? Yes I would absolutely say I probably have more experience and knowledge on the subject. Not only have I used their game for it, I have used multiple games to conduct RMT. So with my experience I have played several markets and I have a wider base of knowledge when it comes to the inner workings of RMT Third parties and how to effectively cut their profits to the point of forcing them to another market. I have had it done to me several times so I know what changes were effective and which ones weren’t.

What part of any of that is me stating it as a fact? I stated it was an anecdotal statistic. Which means the statistic is based off my own experience. Not once have I claimed it as fact in this entire thread.

Quit crying. They remove exploits all the time in classic wow even if the minority is abusing the exploit.

So what if OP used to sell services for money, it doesn’t render his opinion invalid because he used to be on the other side.

3 Likes

Threatbolt needs a lifetime ban from wow for this admission of criminal activity.

Also forward to authorities for prosecution and prison time.

Reported for RMT

Who here is arguing that an exploit should be left in? Blatant breaking of the EULA by selling gold and characters isn’t an exploit.

Lol. You edited out that part. Good thing it was saved in a quote…

I wouldn’t disagree with the lifetime ban. However the act of RMT is not a criminal activity. It is a breach of contract via me agreeing to the EULA and that could possibly be pursued, however it wouldn’t hold up in court for any type of settlement.

That being said, I no longer conduct RMT, nor have I in WoW Classic. I simply just enjoyed playing the game and as I am leaving the community. I figured I’d throw my two cents in to try to improve it as I left.

2 Likes

Being that I know blizzard stores chat logs, a simple additional check to the algorithm to include a search in the chat logs if a player has ever communicated with the individual they received the gold from previously. Make that check date back an hour or so from the trade. You would also need a check that includes fair market pricing. Meaning, another check involving comparing the auction house price of an item and the gold received for the item in the trade +/- 20% or so. This of course would be used for gold trades of 500g and up for example.

People communicate outside of the game. They trade gold between Classic and Retail. There are people that have 2 or more accounts and are transferring gold between those two accounts. I highly doubt they’d ever have an in game chat with their own accounts. Also, what about family members gifting gold to their sibling, child, parent? Are you going to have in game chats with someone you are sitting right next to? Banning accounts simply because they’ve received gold from another account that they may have never communicated with in game could have undesired consequences.

However, Blizzard does need a way to track those doing RMT, I just think their approach needs to be more solid than your suggestion.

I stand corrected. Even if I already corrected that statement 3 other times in this thread and all you were looking for is the exact wording for my to say I was wrong? Instead of my multiple posts of me stating it was an anecdotal statistic which clarifies the statement. But good on you! I was wrong! for the third time since you can’t read between the lines.

My anecdotal statistics are the very opposite of yours.

As I said, I’ve known a lot of multiboxers over the years and have never come across one who wa doing it to sell accounts for profit.

How about providing insights into how you beat the system and how they could have better stopped you? That might be valuable. Or even better offer up every account you have ever worked with. Clear out the riff raff.

Well the Whispers or conversations is a simple idea. Blizzard can expand on it from there to include, sharing a guild tag or having previously been partied with the person in different Dungeon/raid ID’s because those are stored too. Family members sitting next to each other should share an IP address however so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. But basically there are several ways to implement a system that verifies there were previous ties to the two parties before the trade, so they aren’t red-flagged.

The goal is to knock out the majority of them because unfortunately there will always be casualties when it comes to Automated Enforcement Systems. Those will be the cases blizzard will have to address on a case by case basis via appeals.

How I beat the system would be a conversation taking place via email with blizzard. I’m not going to wide spread THAT knowledge to an open community to run wild with.

As far as outing colleagues, that would do very little as we would all cycle through multiple accounts. Accounts being banned is a cost of business that we calculate into our profit margins. Again, I have not done RMT for over 2 years. I wouldn’t even be able to tell you their account names if I wanted to. I can say without a doubt if they are still conducting RMT they will be doing it on WoW. It is the most profitable RMT game on the market currently because of 3 simple reasons.

1. No control over the price of their currency letting sellers dictate their own profit margins.

2. No control over the Multi-boxing scene allowing power-levelers to do it as they please and very efficiently.

3. Red-flagging algorithm that hasn’t changed much over the years allowing it to be easily manipulated by most individuals in the RMT business. Red-flagging methods need to be updated regularly because RMT individuals quickly catch on and figure out how to get around them and it becomes common knowledge in the business. (No I won’t disclose those methods publicly to have them be used and exploited. That would be like pouring gasoline on a fire.)

I will say though, of all the games I have done business on, World of Warcraft’s red-flagging system is by far the most effective. Not saying that it doesn’t need improvement, but in my experience it is by far the best one on the market.

By that standard all laws are ineffective since they have not stopped all crime

3 Likes

It’s blatant at this point that you are trolling out of boredom. You keep contradicting yourself and talking in circles

all while raging at OP because he USED TO sell gold in the past.

2 Likes

So, here’s the ultimate question: would introducing the token make the game better or worse? One of the big appeals about these types of “virtual world” games is that we all start in the same place and what you have IRL has no bearing on what you have in this virtual space. Bringing tokens into Classic would change that. Right now, there are many players who won’t buy gold because they’re afraid of getting banned. Introducing the token takes that away and lets everyone essentially buy power. It doesn’t have quite the same effect in retail because gold isn’t as valuable.

Do you think enough players are currently buying gold in Classic that introducing the token won’t negatively impact the ones that are not currently buying gold?

2 Likes

Not trolling. Point out where I’m contradicting myself?

I simply have an issue with people presenting things as fact when they are presumptions at best.

Wouldn’t a perma ban on anyone caught BUYING gold solve it? If the demand is there sellers will be there. I have to imagine most people wouldn’t risk it if their first offense had all of their in-game accomplishments erased.

I assume it wouldn’t solve it, since Blizzard hasn’t attempted it, but do you know why it wouldn’t?

And you know this how? Because they told you? And you know none of them lied because?

Blizzards argument is that with a permanent ban to the accoumt, the player would just create another account. And then risk buying gold again to catch up.

By suspending the accoumt, and removing the gold, it makes the player keep investing in that account and hopefully won’t risk loosimg it again.

I do think enough players are buying gold to outweigh the opposite. If there wasn’t, RMT wouldn’t be booming in WoW. Botters wouldn’t be going wild.

As a simple base line. If tokens were 300g. That would require players to buy multiple tokens a week just for their raid consumables if that was their method. The players who are already spending outrageous amounts with Third party vendors will still spend those outrageous amounts, HOWEVER they will now be getting 40% less gold than they normally would.

Also the gold behind WoW Tokens is fueled by the players buying them, unlike Third Party vendors the gold is fueled by someone who isn’t using it anyway simply to just make a profit off saturating the market with gold that would have otherwise sat in someones bag. The typical player grinds out gold with a goal in mind, something on the market they want. The gold seller grinds out gold to stockpile and sell then distributes it all over the place to players who purchase it. This causes the market to get a sudden influx of gold and slowly destroys the economy. Without gold sellers the economy would have the bare bone grinders who grind gold for a specific purpose instead of endless nonstop gold grinding to flood the economy.

Another thing with WoW Tokens, they buy them at a higher rate than the gold is returned to the seller. Meaning the game would have another currency dump clearing out some of the damage that has already been done by bots and gold sellers already.

bruh /10char