Combat Auction House Scammer

The poster is not being dishonest tho. Everything is plainly listed. Item, quantity, bid, buyout. In no way is this a scam.

Blizzard also agrees.

1 Like

Sorry, my memory is bad. Can you point me to where I said I fell for this scam? I can’t seem to find it, but I must have if you’re saying this.

And yet you are arguing it’s a scam…

1 Like

What does that have to do with anything?

Everything, please keep up, there’s a test at the end.

Why am I not allowed to be? Am I not allowed to be involved in a debate on a public forum?

Given your stance on this practice, your involvement in this debate and on top of this new revelation that you must have skin in the game to debate it, it sounds like you partake in this practice which makes you biased to the topic whereas I’m not. That actually makes my opinion on this far more valid than yours whereas you defend the practice because you don’t want your meal ticket taken away.

Good to know!

The semantic argument is silly. Pick any word you want: scam, trick, racket, con, swindle. It’s clearly unethical, immoral, dishonest, and bad for the game.

I dont agree with changing the AH at all. No limits with the amount of items, and no level
restrictions. Its a free market and needs to stay that way. The only “fix” that needs
to be put in place is people paying attention to what they are doing.

3 Likes

Horrible logic

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it "

Just because someone defends something does not mean they agree or partake in the practice of it.

This isn’t how this works, at all.

You don’t have any evidence of dishonesty, you only have people posting up clearly marked items for clearly marked Bid and Buyout prices, and those same people canceling auctions. That’s it. That’s all the information you have. Any other intent/motivation/bias you try to read into those simple actions is entirely on you and nothing more.

If no single act is dishonest or disingenuous or fraudulent, the sum total of those acts cannot be dishonest either.

This means the behavior is condoned.

/headdesk

There has to be an underlying cause of action for a hypothetical reasonable person to even come into being. Don’t drag bad legal analysis into this, you have to first show how posting is inherently problematic or against the TOS before you go mandating people prove their actions are reasonable.

It is none of these things. “I don’t like it” isn’t a suitable substitute for violating a moral duty.

1 Like

Never had an issue with the auction house, maybe people are using Addons that are more prone to buying things overpriced but I don’t see how anyone could not blame themselves for their own mistakes.

I don’t use any auction house addons.

2 Likes

He never said “You were not allowed to be,” like you so infer. He asked you why you were.
Deflecting much?

Also the debate has already been settled by a blizz post.

So your not actually debating anything. Your just letting us know what your opinion is.

Depending on your addon/UI choices, especially if you’re into mega-minimalist UIs, the AH can get painful to clearly navigate.

But if you use something like TSM, you can sort however you like and entirely avoid weirdly priced setups. You don’t even notice the annoying page-after-page of single item posts because TSM lumps everything by common Bid or Buyout so you can see what the cheapest options are. Very nice addon.

Or you can just use default UI and not miss anything.

1 Like

I agree that some simple common-sense measure could be put into place by Blizzard to prevent these obvious attempt to trick buyers. But, if these types of buyers weren’t trying to speedrun the AH like they probably do everything else in the game then the likelihood of them being scammed like this would be 0%.

1 Like

I have 0 sympathy for people who accidentally buy something that is over priced, that sucks, but at the same time pay more attention.

Slippery when wet

Get it? PAY more attention hahahahahahahaha

2 Likes

its funny because you pay more either way.

1 Like

Well take it up with swifteagle. I used his own logic to infer his stance.

It is actually.

I’ve laid out the evidence countless times across multiple threads and have highlighted it earlier here. The evidence exists, but evidence isn’t inherently a smoking gun.

You might want to do yourself a favor and Google the definition of what evidence is.

Hint: it involves the word information

True. I’ve never argued that they should action people for it, they are working within the constraints of the system.

What I believe is they could do something as simple as making the AH sort by buyout price rather than bid because that is what the scam revolves around and it’s a design oversight. Changing the way the AH sorts auctions solves the whole problem, other than the fact that they’ll move onto the next scheme they find. This happened in retail after the AH overhaul as well.

I have. On my second or third post I explained that, regardless of what you want to call it, the toxicity created by allowing this posting behavior to exist is simply bad for the game and the playerbase.

It’s not when someone is trying to argue “Oh its a reserve buyout price” and the reserve buyout price is literally a 900% (or more) markup of the initial sale.

A simpler way to describe it is it doesn’t pass the sniff test. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck…it’s probably a duck. The fact that we’re playing a video game where items cannot have any more or less value than other items further validates that logic. You can’t eveb argue your dreamfoil is magical or better than another’s, at least in the real world when you sell your product you can tell people your products are more expensive because they’re made with more valuable materials which drives up the price.

Blizzard has bigger fish to fry and they aren’t even touching the important things… the people doing it, do nothing wrong technically. It’s scummy sure… but just take your time and pay attention, these things won’t happen.

1 Like

Well that settles THAT

You’ve laid out inferences, nothing more. The only evidence you have is the existence of posts on an AH that get canceled. That’s it. Since there are no monetary limits, no ranges, no market balancing ratios, etc, whether you place something on the AH for 1c or 999,999g does not matter. The system is entirely agnostic to whatever market forces or restrictions you want to impose.

Therefore, any inference of good or malicious intent based upon AH postings alone are entirely specious. You need actual evidence outside of the AH itself. You don’t have that. You only have your own “well I wouldn’t do this” personal preference. That’s not evidence.

The information/evidence you have doesn’t point to dishonesty you spoon.

Which wholly eliminates even a subjective argument of dishonesty/scam. If people are working openly and cleanly within the rules as they are laid out, there isn’t a scam, there is only people who ignore the metes and bounds of the rules and have the nerve to act surprised.

That doesn’t make it inherently problematic, that just makes it something you aesthetically dislike. Blizzard says otherwise.

It is. You don’t get to demand someone else prove they’re acting reasonable without first proving they did something wrong. They only posted an auction at a price you dislike. That’s not wrong.

You’re inverting the order because you want people you presume dishonest to own up to their presumed dishonesty but you don’t actually have anything to show how they’re being dishonest. This is bad legal analysis.

Your aesthetic preferences do not a scam make.

2 Likes

Rofl no you didn’t, your deflecting because you know your wrong and didn’t have a counter argument.

No you have not.

Asking for this is completely understandable.

Claiming that a this is anyway a scam is not, because it is not and Blizzard has confirmed as to that fact.