Collegehumor is gone

First Machinima, then Cracked, and now Collegehumor is dead too. It is a sad time for some of us internet users, web shows we thought are going to last forever end up being like dust in the wind. I fear that Rooster Teeth may end up like that in the future (knock on wood).

I think the reason why this is the case is because the media companies that own the web shows (i.e. otter media for Machinima, IAC for Collegehumor), for some reason decide to cut profit from these web shows and now they are gone.
Lesson here kids, when you make a web show, don’t sell yourself to a media company, they will bankrupt you in the future.

Nothing’s dead as long as it’s not forgotten. I would recommend keeping an eye out on the creators and support them in their new projects.

I’d have to argue against you’re advice. If a company check will allow a web show to keep a roof over their head and their lights on, take that check. Integrity means very little when you’re starving.

2 Likes

Collegehumor at least claims that deceptive marketing from Facebook killed them off by getting them off Youtube. (basically facebook marketing sent them doctored metrics that claimed they would have a larger audience etc on FB and convinced them to switch over which led to them losing views and dying)

Nothing will ever be as sad as the day I came on YouTube and just found a completely-blank Machinima, aside from one video: Minecraft Noob Adventures Episode 13, the video time will inexplicably never forget.

I don’t really watch Machinima, a lot of their content falls under the “Wow! Epic gaming, haha RADICAL!” trope that I’ve always hated, but I really won’t forget being obsessed with that garbage in middle school.

To all the content creators out there, your trash is important to someone out there, even if they don’t like it anymore, and you should make an effort to keep it out there for them.