[Collection} Genesis Motes

A couple years late on this but speaking personally I just got around to doing this farm for the Zereth Mortis mounts/pets. The acquisition for the mounts was always something odd to me. There was a huge benefit in choosing what mounts you wanted to craft but if you wanted to collect all or even just a few ones it would take hours upon hours of grinding outdoor mobs.

The most used grinding method was one that was being used for nearly two years in the form of grinding a specific mob that respawned constantly. It has been nerfed recently in the 10.2 patch and people are not happy about it as these comments on wowhead show: https://www.wowhead.com/item=188957/genesis-mote#comments

I do not fault for this method being fixed because it is obviously not intended but it made me think on the root of the problem. Genesis motes were always boring to acquire. What I suggest is a change in the amount given by other sources that are not mob grinding to at least doing more in the zone than simply grinding mobs. Increasing the amount from treasures, rares and Olea caches. I would suggest largely increasing the amounts from the Sepulcher raid bosses can make it so more players go back to that raid and engage with content.

25 Likes

They seem to be doing a lot of changes to Shadowlands content, as denoted by even my Anima post.

Which I don’t understand why. If the change wasn’t merited during the timeframe when Shadowlands was the current content, why is it being done now? The only thing I can come up with is that they want you to spend more and more and more and more time trying to do what already took a lifetime in Shadowlands to accomplish.

17 Likes

I feel like old content should always be made easier/more accessible vs. actively going back and nerfing/changing it to make it much more tedious. Not sure what the thought process is behind doing things like this.

18 Likes

Back in Shadowlands, I spent like 45m trying to get one of the bits for a mount. I got none. I quit trying for them after that.

4 Likes

As someone who came into Shadowlands during the Korthia patch after almost a 2 year hiatus, I agree with this sentiment.

I was one of those few who used that one specific mob to farm genesis motes for a time and then realized after 10.2 that it had been nerfed very hard. I had to eventually pull out a druid for endless swiping at the original farm location that everyone went to while in groups.

Things should not be made harder to accomplish when an expansion has sunset. That’s the bottom line.

7 Likes

During and post shadowlands I gave up on making most of the mounts/pets because genesis motes were quite boring to grind and for a patch based on creating things the items required to do so were so limited that it got boring quickly.

4 Likes

As someone who did all the daily activities/world quests/rare farms/mount farms every day while Zereth Mortis was current, I had only accrued only ~4500 motes of the ~9500 required to synthesize JUST the mounts. Just goes to show that no amount of intended play loops over the course of an entire patch could fulfill the amount required, you HAD to grind portal mobs for hours on end to collect your motes if you wanted to interact with more than 25% of the Protoform synthesis offerings. Now I personally have no interest in the pet collecting, but I do feel for anyone who wanted to synthesize every mount AND pet, costing ~19000 motes.

It felt weird that these didn’t just drop from every single npc, chest, rare, event, WQ, etc in the zone, and instead were ~1-3 per kill of only SOME npcs.

7 Likes