Classic WoW is set to totally overshadow modern WoW

oh geez you linked a preach video, now was really not the right time to do that m8 people are already up in arms over streamers.

Imagine Allan Brack actually acknowledging that he was dead wrong.

5 Likes

You think that their target audience is 200,000 or so people who watch twitch? Absolutely not… it’s just the easiest and cheapest advertisement strategy known to man. Their target audience is anyone who misses vanilla wow and anyone who started playing after vanilla that wants to try the game they’ve been hearing about missing for years.

10 Likes

Uhh no. Its not toxic to walk away from Retail. The game wasnt the same as what we started on. We want to play what WoW was, what it was intended to be.

Thats not toxic.

5 Likes

Wasnt there only 200k signatures on the petition to bring it back. So we are really talking a 50/50 of the alleged dedidacted population.

Many people didnt even know about it. I didnt. I didnt even know Private Servers are a thing. I got into the Stress Test though, and leveled up and reported a few bugs.

4 Likes

I have been playing vanilla wow for years, I played vanilla when it came out. I’ve been asking for years to see it reintroduced. I have championed the cause since it’s inception

I didn’t sign that petition… I didn’t even know about it. None of the 30 people I play vanilla with regularly signed it.

13 Likes

In some ways, yes, but in other ways, very much a no. The biggest issue is that you aren’t learning from the past or the mistakes made. TBC/Wrath/etc. is what the future did bring. Even Vanilla was built off of lessons learned from its predecessors.

If you do not learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it, and people are not going to follow if you cannot lead. Simply re-releasing WoW isn’t enough if it’s going to maintain itself.

This is striking the retro-gaming community, it isn’t the future, as much as you’d like it to.

Modern games subsist on recurrent expenditures, subs, etc. The newest content, the newest gear, the newest expansions, etc. etc. Traditional gaming mentality.

In regards to Classic, Blizzard doesn’t have to spend a lot of money to re-release old content, freshen it up a little, and resell it to you at the old Subscription cost. They aren’t spending any real money on Classic - no new content, models, etc.

You are profit. And whether it’s 7 million subs or 7 subs, you’re buying into that. And then, after that? It’s just cannibalizing the same content over and over again.

If you’re only paying the sub to play Classic? You’re literally just feeding into the same machine that produces Modern WoW, but you’re not getting anything additional from that. See all the threads from Classic players who don’t believe they should pay for that same reason.

Either way, Blizzard wins. Lots of people are coming back, and Blizzard isn’t spending extra money to get you back, and they’ve got you hooked for years.

BFA will shut down after Classic re launches.

2 Likes

Lol i would love for Blizzard to release their subscription graphs 3 months after its release.

They will be scrambling real quick.

Dont be surprised when all these streamers are jumping on the 8.2.5 of the 8.3 bandwagon…

I think not. Activision Blizzard looks to be doubling down on the “subscription as service” business model - your HBO, your WWE Network, your EA games subscription service.

Acti-Blizz is not going to care which version of WoW you want to play, as long as you’re paying to play it. This is why Blizzard is now open to having TBC and Wrath servers and so on.

If it keeps you paying, they’ll do it.

3 Likes

Yeah i am not debating the dedicated followers that will certainly boost their players however the retention of the streamer followers will certainly have a massive impact. More than 200k view these twitch doods. They have a 200k subscribers they have way more followers.

Once they cash in on these punk followers they will all throw em to the curb.

Thousands of people have been playing Vanilla Wow for 15 years. You are already incorrect.

6 Likes

They’ve been playing on private servers and are already looking for excuses to get out of paying for access to Classic by bemoaning that it’s tied to the Retail sub.

what if vanilla wow is entertaining to watch?

1 Like

Only for a short time. I logged in, looked around and thought to myself, oh no, not this again. For those of you who weren’t in vanilla you have no idea what kind of hellish grindscape you are in for.

1 Like

Speaking as someone who was stuck in Vanilla content until Cataclysm launched… I have a better idea than some.

I welcome it wholeheartedly. Screw Cata and its changes to the old world.

3 Likes

okay, so you’ve talked to all of the private server players? Because one is actually shutting down because of classic. You are way off.

1 Like

It’s pretty much fundimentally impossible to remove all the features from retail that have made it what it is without losing the existing playerbase. The process of fixing retail would kill it. The likelyhood of getting funding for a largescale MMO after titan flopped is low.

Classic+ is the best hope for the MMO genre.

3 Likes

And I guarantee that another will rise in its place.