Classic was great, BC was better

They were merged in July 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

This transaction took place during TBC, before Wrath was even finished, this is why you see a massive departure from the Vanilla style game play in Classic and BC into the wrath baby style that spawned the game we have now.

2 Likes

Big companies like that donā€™t turn on a dime. Iā€™m sure that Wrath was mostly or entirely completed well before Activision had any real influence.

1 Like

Canā€™t stand these new forums but I came here to tell you that BC was a terrible expansion and is highly overrated because it was when a lot of people first started.

ā€¢ Leveling/questing was atrocious
ā€¢ The zones were ugly and boring
ā€¢ Karazhan was the only good raid (and itā€™s in Azeroth hah)
ā€¢ FLYING MOUNTS killed the immersion of the game
ā€¢ Dungeons were awful and linear
ā€¢ Classes were more ā€˜balancedā€™ but they were a shell of their more unique vanilla versions
ā€¢ BLOOD ELVES AND DRAENEI - WTF MAN
ā€¢ Shaman for Alliance and Paladins for Horde
ā€¢ Took the villain bat to Illidan AND Kaelā€™thas, two of the most interesting WC3 characters
ā€¢ The story overall was just terrible and broke the high fantasy model that worked perfectly

Thereā€™s so much more but you get the point. Terrible expansion. Canā€™t hold a candle to vanilla WoW.

12 Likes

Wrath was also the expansion that introduced the god awful phasing.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Iā€™ll take it a step further, of which will likely be unpopular and make a many a player cringe.

WOTLK was better than BC, it was the Cataclysm which namesake ironically brought about the destruction of WoW for me. I did enjoy Vanilla and BC a lot though, and am looking forward to playing classic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wrath baby here, so I canā€™t speak to your experience. I do have a question, though ā€“ did the ability to fly in Outlands kill immersion in Azeroth? If one wanted to in BC, could you lock your experience at 60 and play only in Azeroth and basically do Vanilla? Was the experience substantially different for those people?

I guess the big thing would be the lionā€™s share of the community would be doing level 70 endgame stuff, and that would make a lot of the Azeroth zones empty. That would be the big difference in my mind.

Weā€™ve had post-Cata Azeroth for a little more than 8 years now, and we had pre-Cata Azeroth for a little less than 6 years. Iā€™m a Wrath baby so I only had pre-Cata Azeroth for about 3 years. Between that and my memory being bad, going back to the pre-Cata Azeroth will be almost like brand new content for me. :wink:

Actually thatā€™s the opposite of irony, but I mean what you knowā€¦ :wink:

Your opinion. I believe BC brought what we have today.

Slowly took away attunements, gave out welfare epics, nerf raids/dungeons, made gear worthless from vanilla, introduced flying, and much more. The good things were in development for patch 1.13. So it kind of had vanilla feel but then slowly started down the omg retardation phase.

4 Likes

Leveling still took a while like it did in Classic, so there were still a lot of people in Azeroth. They didnā€™t speed up leveling until near the end of BC if I remember.

The ā€œeveryone is at endgameā€ didnā€™t really occur until Wrath.

2 Likes

Around mid to end point of TBC you seen a shift.

1 Like

Yup Op is wrong :smiley:

1 Like

This, although it was mainly due to poor decisions made at BC release, late BC is when the wheels started coming off. Trying to balance specs around arenas because they screwed the pooch and locked the better pvp gear behind arena rankings was a huge step in the wrong direction. The decreased raid sizes also contributed heavily to cries for balance (after breaking more than a few guilds because 40->10/25 didnā€™t break down evenly in any way shape or form).

4 Likes

BC was the best to me, as well. It just felt overall ā€œmoreā€ balanced, and world PvP was more fun, esp isle of QD

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure we can compare Classic to TBC - because Classic hasnā€™t been released yet.

In your opinion. You forgot to add that.

I personally wasnā€™t a fan of BC hardly at all and quit midway through it because of how much I disliked it. I absolutely loved Vanilla and was even addicted to the game sadly. I suppose I can be grateful that BC launched and broke that addiction.

BC removed the honor system, 40 man raids and started the gradual homogenization and dumbing down of the game. It started slowly and as you can see from live, escalated big time.

My main was a warlock for some time in Vanilla. I absolutely loved the class and play style. I remember when I quit and why. Players whined and complained that the affliction rotation was ā€œtoo hardā€. It wasnā€™t hard by the way, it was a ton of fun. So Blizzard started homogenizing the spec and dumbing it down to appease those who couldnā€™t be bothered to learn to play it properly. They started combining talents in the trees, etc.

Thatā€™s when I quit. I saw the path they were taking the game and didnā€™t like it at all. As much as I love leveling, to this day, I always dread hitting that point where you go into BC. At least now with level scaling, you can skip it completely and go to Wrath content at level 58.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes of course, but for me, I prefer Vanilla leaps and bounds ahead of BC.

3 Likes

Classic all the wayā€¦the reason being, flying mounts, arenas, cross server, AV nerf, lack of world PvP, lfgs, gearscore, etcā€¦killed the game for me.

One of the best things in classic was the server bubble, you had a reputation within the serverā€¦you knew who the best pvpers and youd see them in BGs.

6 Likes

Both TBC and Wotlk were far better than Vanilla.

Each class still had flavor, crafting still meant something, dungeon design was at its peak (vanillaā€™s dungeon design was horrible), talent trees still existed, more class diversity (vanillaā€™s class system was utter garbage), and the game always had something to do.

3 Likes

I mean if you have a different opinion thats cool, but who are we joking here tbc is king

2 Likes

It depends how you look at itā€¦from a game standpoint yes tbc/wotlk was a much better game.
For many of us who prefer classic, its mostly due to the social aspect of it, there was a server bubble, no cross server, no flying mounts, etcā€¦so everyone you made friends with and fought (in bgs) were people that you often saw out in the world. You had a server reputation and that got lost somwhere in BC due to battlegroups and cross server being implemented and that never came back. But i always thought it was cool to just randomly see the hwl of the server running around in orgrimmar, or running into the grand marshals PvP team in WSG, or seeing the ranked players respond to localdefense when crossroads was getting attacked, or seeing the guy who just got ashkandi dueling outside org.

1 Like

Again, in your opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

BC may be King for you, but it was far from the king for me personally. It is by far one of my least favorite expansions in the game. I just didnā€™t like it. I despised Hellfire Peninsula and still do. I did enjoy Nagrand and raiding Kara was quite fun. Aside from Nagrand and Kara, there wasnā€™t anything else I can think of in the expansion I liked. Well, I do like blood elves I suppose. But as far as game play, itā€™s Vanilla for me all the way. I prefer Legion way more than BC. I actually liked Legion a decent amount.

But yeah, we all have our own opinions, likes and dislikes. Iā€™m glad you liked BC but I sure didnā€™t. The reduction of 40 man raids down to 10 and 25 hurt many, many guilds and a lot didnā€™t survive that. Mine did, but barely. We were once a very tight-knit guild, but when BC launched some raiders were getting left out which caused quite a few people to leave the guild while we were going through the transition. We ended up of course having two raid teams, but the damage was done to many guilds.

So no, BC is not King for me and I really, really didnā€™t like it for so many reasons.