[Classic] UI Scale problems (pixel weirdness)

Hey everyone,

I use ElvUI and WeakAuras mainly. These two addons are my bread and butter. My resolution is 2560x1440.

Depending on which UI Scale I’m using, I’ll have pixel weirdness such as 1px borders being 2px wide or frames not aligning unless going into decimals when typing coordinates. I have to fix that, as I’m about to design a whole new UI for myself and don’t want to deal with 0.7 offsets here and there on 20+ frames and 40+ auras just to make them pixel perfect.

The pixel weirdness is gone when UI Scale is either 1, or 0.533333 (768/1440). However, these are imperfect for the following reasons:

• 0.533… does not work because everything is way too small. I can scale most frames back up and increase font size, but not every frame. Character frame, NPC dialog frame, item roll frame, etc are way too small and I can’t play like this. I wanted to use MoveAnything to rescale all these, but the addon does not support Classic and therefore some frames are missing from it. Also, what an undertaking, hunting every frame in the game and scaling it back up. Oh god.

• 1 does not work because 1px borders for weakauras all become 2px. Also everything’s rather big and while I can work with that, I have to decrease font sizes and ElvUI will not allow less than 8 font size which for some fonts is still too big.

What can I possibly do? I want a UI that is neither too small nor too big, where 1px borders are truly 1px and where there is no pixel weirdness and I don’t have to offset every frame by some decimal to make it behave.

I’m prepared to work for this, too. If I have to rescale 100 frames one by one, so be it. I just need to know, has anyone found any sane solution for this problem? Are there any tools that can help me out?

• Is there a Classic alternative to MoveAnything so I can actually rescale all frames? Is there a way to add frames to MoveAnything that it doesn’t support by default?

• Is there a way to make weakauras borders 1px when using a UI Scale of 1?

• Could there possibly be, by any chance, any value between 0.533 and 1 for 1440p that, even if it’s not pixel-perfect, at least reduces the amount of pixel weirdness to an acceptable level, like maybe I’ll have to finetune coordinates with decimal values on a couple frames but not all of them?

Please someone save me from this nightmare!

Edit:

I have figured a way to use MoveAnything to… move anything. /mafe (move anything frame editor) followed by a frame’s name will show the editor (with the scale slider) for that specific frame whether it’s in MA’s list or not.

There’s also binding a key to “Show frame editor” which is a quicker way to edit any frame that you can mouse over.

So, I have rescaled almost anything I could find that’s not touched by ElvUI or other addons that allow for resizing and modifying font sizes (like Details). There weren’t lots of them, maybe 30, and it was pretty fast thanks to the keybind. I missed some but can resize them on the fly.

I only have two problems now:

• A specific frame, DropDownList1, the one that shows when you right click frames (to invite someone for instance), generally does not behave well when touched by MA. If I rescale it, the frame’s positioning is way off compared to the cursor position. Hence I have to keep it small as hell. Some addon frames behave similarly (WeakAuras main window) so I have to keep them small.

• Some frames appear when mousing over something and aren’t affected by Tooltip settings in ElvUI, and I can’t find a way to get their name, since they’re away from my cursor and trying to mouse over them makes them disappear. Framestack can’t help me there. This affects the group tooltips in the LFG tool.

1 Like