Classic skinning skillups stopping at 260

I have been trying to max out skinning in each expansion on this character (and leatherworking as much as reasonably possible). The problem is that in classic you stop getting skillups at 260. I skinned stacks of rugged and thick leather in winterspring, silithus, and un’goro crater but never got another skillup.

1 Like

Apparently, 260+ in Classic or SoM requires a fairly small pool of eligible critters.

https://www.wow-professions.com/classic/skinning-leveling-guide-classic-wow#205

260-280, the small pool of higher-level yetis in northern Feralas.

280-300, in western Un’goro.

I think this is also how it was back in Vanilla.

I’m in retail. I never had this issue before. I even killed devilsaurs but got no skillups.

Update: I got heavy leather from Feral Scar Yetis in northern Feralas, a lower level skin.

Western Un’goro Crater mobs gave rugged leather and hide.

I even ran Onyxia’s Lair and skinned the wardens. No skillups.

No online source I could find said there had been changes to retail.

It’s a bug.

I am new to the game. I am also a completionist. It is driving me absolutely bonkers that my Classic Skinning is stuck at 275. I have been everywhere trying to get it to 300. I have done the 4, 40 man raids in Classic… none of the mobs give skill ups in Classic Skinning, in retail WoW. The only work around that I have found right now, from my online searches is to get the skill ups through the MONTLY Skinning quest from the Darkmoon Faire… That would take 25 months to fully level my classic skinning. Which I think is beyond ridonkulous.

If I remember correctly, during vanilla days, by just skinning mobs I never got my skinning past 275. I do recall doing Darkmoon Faire quests, but not every month and i can’t even tell you when that started, maybe it wasn’t even in proper vanilla. It was only after Burning Crusade that I got it to move north of 290. But in those days, professions were monolithic (BC skinning was 375 max), nowadays with it all compartmentalized, not sure how you’d do it, other than DMF.

The same was true for mining, you could only ever get to 290 with actual mining. But , at least, with mining you could get to 300 by smelting dark iron bars (learnt from Gloom’rel in Blackrock Depths), which was needed to smelt enchanted elementium (learnt from Krixix in Blackwing Lair). I don’t recall anything similar for Skinning.

Maybe there was something to do with the now removed Dragons of Nightmare that show up during the anniversary events, but I never did much of that back in vanilla.

This was an actual bug that happened after Burning Crusade was released. You need to learn BC (Outland) Skinning to uncap Vanilla Skinning above 270-ish.

After that, farming Onyxia’s Lair should get it done in half a dozen resets.

1 Like