Classic Server Transfers Temporary Lock

I wanted to make sure I am reading the news correctly. Blizzard said

A few of my friends and guildies thought this was a bit vague and disagreed on what it meant. I am just curious how you guys read this? Are they saying that the normal paid transfers will reopen before prepatch releases? My guild is transferring servers and this could effect them, depending on what Blizzard means.

If prepatch lands sometime in May, it is very unlikely that transfers will open back up prior to the snapshot. Those types of services can’t be available while the snapshot is being taken. Also, it doesn’t make any sense to have time between the snapshot and the prepatch dropping since you would wind up rolling back any progress that happens after the snapshot.

My guess is that the services will remain off until prepatch drops and that the snapshot is done the night before prepatch goes live unless prepatch is very far away.

Simple answer, server transfer will be offline starting April 30th and will remain offline until further notified.

So if you want to do a server transfer you have 4 days to do it, then you will most likely have to wait till after the pre-patch goes live.

My guild has already posted announcements to the same effect.

Move now or in the next 4 days or you will have to wait till after the pre-patch goes live.

I would recommend your guild do the same or postpone your move till after pre-patch.

Here is the catch though. If your guild is moving servers and you wait till after the pre-patch, you guild members might have to buy multiple server transfers (One for the TBC classic character and one for the Classic Era server if your guild is moving servers for both).

Bare that in mind when making a guild move decision. You may want to have a quick guild leadership meeting to hash this out now. Hesitation might be costly for members if you want to relocate both TBC Classic and Classic Era servers.

I’d say it confirms the Prepatch will be sometime in May, which means most likely a June BC release.

1 Like

Possibly yes, or we get the option to chose TBC Classic and/or Classic Era early but the pre-patch is later. I would not necessarily associate the pre-patch with the server bifurcation although most signals are pointing to the pre-patch and bifurcation being at the same time.

All of this is still based on unofficial news and datamines.

They’re saying that server transfers will be shut down April 30th, for multiple weeks. They are not revealing exactly when that will happen relative to anything related to the prepatch.

If your guild is transfering, I suggest you get on it, because it’s likely to become a lot more complicated if you haven’t completed it in four days.

1 Like

This, so much this. Get on it now, like yesterday now!

1 Like

You should xfer now if you’re going to. The following meets the criteria of what blizzard has posted:

4/30, xfers go down.
5/10 blizzard announces xfers will come back up 5/14
5/12 blizzard announces prepatch and snapshot will occur 5/18
5/14 xfers come back up.
5/18 servers go down for prepatch maintenence. Snapshot is taken.
5/18 prepatch launches.

That would give you the same amount of time to xfer as you have now, but would force you to do it over the weekend.

If you’re going. Do it now.

Edit: “After this closure” suggests that the snapshot will occur after the xfers come back up (Or it’d be “during the closure”) BUT it may only be up for a day or two. It could come back up the day before the snapshot.

The only thing I’d note here is that there can’t be any in-flight transfers during snapshot so they will have to have the transfer functionality disabled and have completed all transfers. I doubt they will turn transfers back on unless prepatch is a long ways off. No reason to turn it back on for a few days and then disable it again.

2 Likes

I may be not be understanding how it all works, but I am hoping for nothing short of the transfer services to become available at or just after prepatch. We have guildies that are MIA until actual prepatch or launch, and so getting them to transfer now could prove difficult. However, if services were back up at prepatch or just after, that would work.

Here the say “this closure” to mean “the period of time in which transfers are closed”. They say snapshotting will occur after that period of time.

I read this as transfers going offline from April 30th until whenever the prepatch hits. The reason for this is pretty much the snapshot that will happen when the realms finally go down for the prepatch patch. Likely there is info stored serve side (likely for hacking reasons or potentially dishonorable loot masters running from their realm… actually don’t know if GM still take loot away from ninja looting loot masters…) that is eventually deleted after a transfer is done, and they want to allow for that time to elapse.

1 Like

It’s my perception that xfers closed for multiple weeks implies more than 2 weeks as you suggest. Personally, I believe that xfers won’t return until after TBC classic is released and the portal opens.

If they launch prepatch with the snapshot they took… and the snapshot is old… will it not rollback gear, gold, or anything that changed with a character since the snapshot was taken?

Get off your server before April 30 or risk being stuck there until way late into the pre-patch era, potentially as late as TBC release. If you absolutely have no intention of leveling on your current server, move now.

1 Like

Okay. Blizzard is not reading these posts and is not going to feel any obligation to give you what you want. Good luck, you may need it.

I’ve been taking “multiple weeks” to mean 2-4. Blizzard will want xfers open ASAP. That’s ALOT of money they are losing by keeping that service closed. No way it’s longer than 4 weeks. And my suggestion of 2 was partially hope / wishful thinking for a may 18th prepatch goal still.

The words “After this closure” implies that the service will come up before the snapshot. Or it’d be “DURING” the closure, not after. That said, blizzard does not have the best track record with phrasing things in a clear / proper manner. So they very well could have meant “after the closure starts” or some such nonsense.

They may not have intended it in this case but the employees that interface with the public may have gotten used to being this way in order to keep some sense of plausible deniability. lol

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.