Classic Pet Specs

In classic, we can only have 3 pets - 2 stabled and one active with us.

What pets and specs would you be going with for general everyday pve, PvP and raiding?

Update
Sharing a classic Pet talent calculator

https://www.bobo-talents.com/pets

I am definitely planning on picking up a windserpent as soon as I can. Magic damage plus a fish/bread diet is fairly convenient as long as you can deal with the hissing.

Probably a wolf and cat of some variety as the backups?

Cat and Boar for me. Gotta leave a spot open for temp pets. Plus I’m going NE.

Getting my prairie wolf alpha.

Fastest attack speed of non-cats
Tankier than cats
Fits the orc hunter fantasy better.
Furious howl for sporadic group DPS buffs

Gonna build him to tank casters in PvP.

1 Like

If you’re going to be PvPing, at all, you will want Broken Tooth. Fastest attack speed in the game in Vanilla, which, provided push back on casting times for spell chuckers.

For PvE, a cat or wolf will be the primary choices for this focus.

As mentioned above by Naham, you will need to keep one stable slot open for all of your temporary tames in order to learn the various pet abilities / ability levels.

1 Like

Sporebat or bust.

2 Likes

Cat all day. Prowl is game breaking as a NE.

Oh yeah, Sporebat is best!

For the record, The Rake has a 1.2 Attack Speed and is tamable at level 10. Plus it’s a maned lion.

I would get Lupos if he still had the shadow damage but otherwise, i would get a Wind Seprent, a Cat such as Echeyakee or a Worg.

1 Like

Traditionally even up today, I always get a Ghost Saber. The are the first see through pet that is easily obtainable and hide quite nicely in low lighting…

https://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/

https://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/look.php?id=tigerskinsnow-transparent

That said, I am open to try new tame ideas when the time comes.

1 Like

I was thinking
Broken tooth for PvP/day to day with claw, bite, prowl and dash

Wolf for raiding with stamina and fire/shadow resist, set as passive follow and cast howls with aimed shot

Anyone have experience managing pets in raids during vanilla? Would be great to get insights

Yeahhh! Kind of a shame that the classic patch we are starting on is a few past when this was changed, otherwise, Lupos would, literally, be the best pet to have.

1 Like

Carry lots of food to keep them happy and don’t forget Arrows or Bullets. The more the pets die, the more they begin to hate you and eventually will leave you…even while you are raiding.

Kind of like marriage…piss off the other half and they will leave you at the worst possibly time just to send ya a message.

2 Likes

To add to this, it’s better to dismiss your pet than it is to let them die.

1 Like

Sometime in the heat of the moment, things will die. I will simply toss a fresh fishy at the cat and hope all is well…

That said, everyone needs to also remember that special pet that they tamed and leveled to 60, if you lose that pet, the next one will not auto level, you will have to level it up from the level it was tamed…

This was worse than leveling, gear grinding and rep grinding!!!

That said, I still have my original Ghost Saber on this toon…

My original Hunter’s stable…she too has the Ghost Saber.

3 Likes

Based on one of my former cats(irl), I had a cat that I accidentally deleted, so i tamed the exact same model and names it so it can count as an original.

Cool, did you send your pet in to melee raid bosses or kept it on follow because of their vulnerability to aoe?

Boar named humpy

Beware of caster pets.

www wow-petopia com classic casterpets.php