Classic Master Looter Behavior

The blues here can’t give an ideas for many reasons, one of which they’d need to look through the logs to see the details. They can’t really help with overly open-ended.

2 Likes

folks i literally just want to know what happens to loot when the master looter disconnects for an extended period of time from a reliable source.

i don’t need anyone to look at logs.

1 Like

Avarin’s just looking for commentary on the looting mechanics.

I think it’s possible if RL was transferred to another individual, as then the looting rights would be passed to that new leader. However, I’m working off of memories of original Vanilla so YMMV.

[Edited to add correct answer provided below.]

1 Like

I understand you don’t want confirmation or a review or an arbitration.

Vis a vis what actually happened, one would need logs examined. Otherwise you’re going to get conjecture from the community, and that’s it.

So that leaves us at:

A, B and C can say anything they want. A can say they DC’d when they really yanked their network cable. C can say they don’t have the item, when they actually do. B could have the item and just be trolling.

You can never know for absolute sure unless someone examines logs, and that sort of service just isn’t available for classic (loot arbitration.)

Can A loot an item and say he never got it, or whatever? Sure! “Oh, I DC’d and never looted it.” Okay.

Can he loot it and give it to D? Sure.

Etc.

2 Likes

I thought I covered that.

Whoever was the master looter when the item dropped is the only person who can access it to distribute it. Even if the master looter changes, the drop is still locked to whoever was assigned as ML at the time of the drop.

That’s what I found when rummaging through some sites regarding master loot.

2 Likes

This should be correct. The Master Looter position cannot be reassigned if the Master Looter has disconnected. So the loot usually cannot be distributed in those situations.

In those cases our staff have policies in place that allow them to help distribute loot, assuming they are able to verify the looting method and what dropped.

Basically, Avarin, the scenario you describe is a bit suspect, as I don’t believe player C should have been able to acquire the item without GM assistance. In those cases we usually need to speak with the Master Looter, not the other members in the group. I’d want to check the logs to see what may really have happened, what the loot method was set to and who got what item.

If I find out anything specific about the system that conflicts with what I’ve said I’ll be sure to update this thread.

7 Likes

Much appreciated for the answer and effort Vrakthris, thank you for confirming.

Since I am none of the affected parties, I will pass this on the the ML and hopefully they will follow through in good faith.

1 Like

If nothing else, I’d have the Master Looter submit a ticket under Loot Problem. Provide details: Which raid > the boss that was killed > loot that dropped and who is should go to.

They should be able to check it out and distribute it if it wasn’t distributed or otherwise see what happened.

3 Likes

Either way though, Blizz will not get involved in any loot disputes in Classic. They’re completely hands off on those.

So, utterly, completely wrong.

1 Like

I’d love to hear your take on it. Here’s what Blizz has said and provided in their Support Articles (which I’ve linked for your convenience):

Master Looter Didn’t Distribute Loot
"Customer support will not redistribute loot in the event of a dispute between players. "

Section on Scams and Loot Disputes
“World of Warcraft loot systems empower players to manage loot directly. For this reason, Blizzard support will not redistribute loot in the event of a dispute between players.”

6 Likes

Care to explain how she is wrong?

3 Likes

Vrakthris
If nothing else, I’d have the Master Looter submit a ticket under Loot Problem . Provide details: Which raid > the boss that was killed > loot that dropped and who is should go to. They [Customer Support] should be able to check it out and distribute it if it wasn’t distributed or otherwise see what happened.

There are also plenty of archived posts from the past several months regarding loot rules being clearly communicated before a raid, neglected during raid, and GMs stepping in, I will look for them now and update this reply, but I think Vrak’s response is pretty straight forward that they can and will assist with loot distribution issues.

I note that there is a major difference between distributing loot, and redistributing loot.

Mainly, the difference is that one isn’t a loot dispute.

5 Likes

No, this is 100% right. There are 100% hands off with loot disputes. If “C” was assigned the loot by “A”, then that’s a loot dispute.

Other information indicates that it could be a disconnect. Blizzard has a specific policy in place for that. It is NOT the same as a dispute, and it is important to make that distinction for anyone who does a search on this subject in the future.

5 Likes

I referred to loot disputes. As in, the master looter didn’t give me the item that I rolled on and won.

In this case, Vrak is saying that a GM could look to see if something glitched and hand out the loot as appropriate.

4 Likes

You are referring to loot scams. IF there are clearly communicated rules in-game (there usually are not), and IF the Master Looter breaks those rules, a GM will punish the scam and remove the loot. They will NOT redistribute the loot to a player who feels they have a claim to it.

No, his response is clear that there is a policy to assist with this particular issue: the issue of the Master Looter disconnecting BEFORE distributing loot.

Not every issue is the same, and just because it has “Master Looter” in the name does not mean it’s the same.

7 Likes

I stand corrected!

You are referring to loot scams. IF there are clearly communicated rules in-game (there usually are not), and IF the Master Looter breaks those rules, a GM will punish the scam and remove the loot. They will NOT redistribute the loot to a player who feels they have a claim to it.

This is the clarification I arrived to upon reviewing some archived posts. Glad I could learn from y’all on this subject! :smiley:

10 Likes

No worries. And it’s appreciated to admit that. Not many people can do that (including myself at times)! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

To be clear, Chopsui, that isn’t a looting dispute. I am specifically referring to an issue where loot couldn’t be distributed because the Master Looter disconnected.

Edit: And I’m slow to post… nothing to see here.

9 Likes

My apologies for misconstruing your post haha, I am thankful I did though so I could be corrected and better informed. Thanks for what you do to keep us informed Vrak!

9 Likes