Classic has better graphics

I think 8 bit zelda is objectively better than 16 bit zelda, but if they’d remade the game in 16 bit I’d have played that too. Anything worth anything looks good in its time.

I love classic, but this is nonsense.

1 Like

Did ya have something “smokeable” leftover from 2005 that brought you to this conclusion?

How’s having less graphics objectively better?

If all one cares about are pixel and polygon counts, then retail should win. But I agree that classic looks better. It’s not trying to be hyper realistic. It’s got a certain aesthetic style to it, that I (and many others apparently) find more pleasing.

3 Likes

Yeah I’d agree with this, stylistically Classic is nicer but modern WoW is far better from a technical perspective.

4 Likes

There is a difference between graphics and art-style.

Retail has better graphics and it’s not debatable.

What OP prefers is the art-style. Classic is more simple. Less detailed, less crowded. The shapes and color palettes are more simple.

7 Likes

Also no sharding to screw up the weather as you get transferred between shards (easily one of my biggest peeves with modern WoW).

quick story because I thought about this the other day…

I remember one day back in 2008, for the first time ever i got a cool new graphics card. i think it was like a gtx 9800 or something like that. the first thing I did was try WoW on it, but I will never, ever, ever forget what I saw… how beautiful everything was, just standing there at goldshire at night with a bunch of night elves near me. the moonlight reflecting off the beautiful stone floor outside of the inn, and just how absolutely amazing it looked. unfortunately, we had to bring back the graphics card the next day so i never got to keep it, but it was truly something magical.

the game now, Yeah it looks next gen, Yeah it’s got all the latest graphics and whatnot on my 4k monitor and gtx 1070. Yeah it’s got normal maps and all the rest of it… but there’s something about the graphics now- thatin all of its glory- couldn’t even compare to that day I remember…

1 Like

Yea classic looks way better, especially the character models. Retail just looks weird and too much cartoony

3 Likes

Whats it like being this stupid?

Classic had more different terrain, I think. It wasn’t as sharp and detailed but it also wasn’t as repetitive. I bought a new graphics card for ray tracing and it took me a while to get used to it, it just looked off for a while.

Ah yes, the low res blurry textures on the ground and character models are amazing in classic

Nostalgia?

Yeah, this is definitely a step back. I can’t think any other reason OP would think it better graphically though.

Definitely wish we had true night, but then again I wish OCE actually had a proper day/night cycle also.

1 Like

Actually, that’s still a rare thing to see in this game.

The normal maps are reserved for water and spell effects (Which are called bump according to the files. No _N or Normal affixes), but everything else doesn’t have normal maps.

I also think the utilitarian nature of modern WoW zones is to its detriment.

Classic (really, all through to MoP), zones have areas that serve no purpose to the larger story. These areas are usually just for farming or for travel time. This contributes to zones looking and feeling better - they visually have better scale and feel less claustrophobic and more like a world.

Modern WoW takes us through to every corner of the zone that is made to serve a purpose be it a WQ, quest. It feels too staged, like being in Disney World.

5 Likes

To be fair, i understand where their coming from, they want the players to see every corner of the map and such and not just have 1/3 or 1/2 of the zone only be relevant.

I can see that as well though I dont buy the rationale as Explorer achievements still do exist. (Though my personal view is that exploration should be its own reward)

That is true beauty, right there.

10/10 graphics.

I agree with this. I was down in Un’goro Crater in Classic and I couldn’t believe it when the heavy rain started and visibility was cut way down. I’d forgotten that happened.