Classic has better graphics

I dont know how it’s possible, but yes 16 year old Classic on max setting looks objectively better than retail, how does that happen?

3 Likes

Beer goggles?

15 Likes

wasn’t night time a real thing back in vanilla wow? i forget, but night in the current game sucks.

so in a way you’re right lol

we also still don’t have reigns that your character holds on mounts either, so that also sucks…

they need to step it up for sure

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it looks better but the way it’s designed makes the world more beautiful than retail

5 Likes

Yes it was, Darkshire was cool with the torch lit roads. Classic doesn’t have dark night either.

7 Likes

Haha. Posts an unqualified opinion. And then describes it as “objectively”.
How DOES that happen, indeed.

4 Likes

Well I play retail, and look so damned good I make the game look objectively worse than Classic.

Lucky huh?

2 Likes

This is satire right? You can count the pixels in classic.

5 Likes

That word doesn’t mean what you think it means.

9 Likes

What looks better can’t be objective

As an example, I don’t like how dark it is in classic and I jack my settings up to make it brighter.

It’s not objectively better. But I could see how some might prefer some of Classic’s aesthetics.

Keep in mind that the “Classic” referred to hear is not Vanilla WoW from 16 years ago. I assume OP refers to today’s WoW: Classic, which uses the modern graphics engine with all the bells and whistles.

Classic has some things which are clearly behind Retail, such as polygon count, texture resolution, and face animations.

On the other hand, Classic’s continents have more zones in them than the new ones added in Shadowlands. And some of those old zones look quite beautiful… in many ways prettier than some of Shadowland’s new zones.

Max settings won’t fix the low res textures, though.

2 Likes

I think I get what you mean OP.

Sometimes fewer details are better.

If I say “there was a rabbit in the cage which sat upon my kitchen table” that paints a pretty complete picture without having to explain the color of the rabit, the presence or absence of the tablecloth, how many chairs are at the table, the rabbit’s gender, or the lighting conditions.

The trees of ashenvale might not be as pretty as the ones in ardenweald, but they are definately trees, and in practice that’s about all they have to be.

2 Likes

I think retail is a little too saturated and perfect

Like those photos you see on instagram that look nice, but they’re just too perfect

Also, nostalgia

Classic and vanilla are a bit grungier and rough, but it does then justice imo

11 Likes

Can you explain how something from 2004 looks better then something from 2021? Cause right now, what you’re telling us is a very subjective opinion that you’re trying to push as facts without any evidence or explaining why it’s factual.

Well polygons and texture sizes, i mean were no longer stuck in the age where 4:3 is the norm, 640x480 is a luxury item and 16:9 widescreen monitors is NASA tech. /Exaggeration

1 Like

Classic feels like a real world unlike retail.

3 Likes

You’re blind.

1 Like

I watched a video from vanilla like 2 years on some guild website (I think KT or illidan), where someone was able to record the entire AQ war without lag.

Genuine high dollar and next door access to blizz servers.