Classic Frost Mage: Is Scorch Useful?

Lvl. 24 mage in classic working my way up the Frost tree, just got access to Scorch.

Does this spell have any uses for a (probable) heavy frost build? I have Fireblast(instant always useful) and Fireball(hardest hitting spell so far, used on nova or poly) on my crowded cast bar and would like to avoid adding more fire spells to it that aren’t needed. As a novice it would seem that anytime a Scorch might be called for as Frost Mage that talented Frostbolt would be the better pick.

I’ve looked at a Frost Mage guide that says you can skip some spells(dampen magic, flamestrike etc.) leveling Frost but it says nothing about Scorch.

Is Scorch useful for Frost(PVP/PVE)?

Unless you are getting the tier 4 fire mage talent, Improved Scorch, then its pretty much garbage. Avoid using it as frost spec. Arcane missiles will do similar damage over time, granted costs more mana, but will crit more often

Scorch is great for pvp man, i use it often in pve too to finish off how hp enemies when i don’t have instants up.

If you’re Frost I wouldn’t bother with Scorch for leveling purposes. Even for a Fire mage Scorch is really more a PvP spell imo and could maybe even be skipped for leveling purposes.

In order for it to be effective in PvP you really need a deep Fire build in order to maximize its effectiveness. Even for PvE purposes you at least need Improved Scorch in order for it to be useful.

Frostbolt is almost always the better choice for a Frost mage in PvE.

My recollections from Vanilla:

• Scorch can be used when a mob is about to die and there isn’t time to complete a longer casting fireball or frostbolt.
  • In PVP you can use Scorch to ambush an opponent. Sit inside a bush and spam Scorch at them. Scorch doesn’t have a projectile graphic so your foe may not notice that they’re actually under attack. Works better if an ally is ahead of you in melee range further keeping your foe occupied.
1 Like

I abused bush hiding as much as I could. Hiding was really one of the best PvP tactics I found as a mage.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the info, especially the bit about Scorch not having a projectile graphic - I could see that having some PVP applications and will probably experiment with it(bush humping!) when BGs come or when I start to run WPVP more heavily.

As far as leveling and learning as Frost, I’ll probably leave it off my bars for now(for cleaner hotbar and to save coin).