"Classic" excitement explained from an older gamer's perspective

Im not sure you understood my post…have a good day

Yikersssssss. Lolololol.

I don’t think I ever freak out at my partners, don’t think you can step into Crusader territory unless that happens.

Danathor is going a little hard rn.

Try to tone down the feels boys it’s just discussion and opinion.

A bunch of us from the forums are migrating to one server @ launch and when we get there anyone else who wants to come and get a ginvite is welcome.

Cheers!

Horde or ally?

both!
same server :skull_and_crossbones:
server TBD.
stay tuned!

That’d be interesting.

We got a fairly large crew rolling alliance. I think the headcount is around 100 strong right now.

1 Like

Older player here. I played Vanilla and BC under a different account.

Look, what you’re saying about what was good about Vanilla is true. It was fun. There was that sense of community and accountability.

But the world isn’t like that anymore. Most people have no idea what community and accountability even mean anymore. Most people have little interest in the kind of patience and forbearance it often took in classic to do just about anything.

Some people who never experienced it think they want this. They don’t, and they will lose patience with it very quickly.

You and I, on the other hand, are wanting something that used to be great but which largely no longer exists and will not exist again.

That is the very definition of nostalgia.

when “you and i” = hundreds of thousands of like minded people you get exactly the community you want

u just gotta trust me on this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I said in a previous post in this thread, I used to think in a similar fashion as a lot of these folks in here do, saying “it won’t be the same” and “rose tinted glasses” (you can search my posts on forums and see).

However, after playing Beta, I will tell you the game actually feels so much better than BfA. Granted, this is from a leveling perspective but every single level, quest, item etc feels meaningful.

As a warrior, I picked up my class quest and got my umbral sword and even though I’m speccing into arms I can still use a sword and board and do ok. In classic, the core of your class is the same, the specs enhance certain aspects of said core when specced into, this gave classes a ton of depth in comparison to live where each spec feels like a miniature class with very little depth even with pvp talents.

I’ve already grouped and been more social at level 12 on beta than I have at 120 on any of my toons outside of my already known friends and guild, in retail there’s zero sense of community Blizzard has completely destroyed server identity/guilds in general due to design like CRZ, and LFG. Your reputation is also important as you can’t server transfer and what not if you’re blacklisted by people, you’re pretty screwed so being kind to others and the golden rule of “Treat others as you want to be treated” is pretty relevant on Classic. This is gone on retail due to people thinking “well, i’ll never see _______ again they’re not on my server so why should I care if I do them dirty?”

Sure, there are some class design flaws, but the classes actually FEEL different, they don’t all play the same or feel the same like live WoW. For example, warrior counters rogue, mage counters warrior, warlock counters mage, rogue counters warlock in classic, that literally doesn’t exist in retail, it’s just RMPALA >>>>> everything else and that’s due to bad class design.

1 Like

Hopefully classic is the cure/ best thing that can happen to retail. It will get a large chunk of the player base back into their little sandbox. They can enjoy “meaningful” upgrades, i.e. running MC every week until the end of time again, diverse talent trees, i.e. half the specs not existing, and everything else classic will bring from 2004.

There is too much information now. Despite that too many people can’t handle a 5 button rotation. They can’t balance around the top, who are pushing as hard as they are, and still make things viable for people that struggle to kill normal bosses. Yet somehow they think dmg meters, a version of IO, or logs won’t exist and that people will be eager to carry them again from UBRS to AQ.

The majority of streamers that are so “excited” to play classic have trashed it in the past. But they see it for what it is, a cash opportunity. Suddenly classic is the best thing ever. Eventually they will run out of content and nostalgia. Unless you really think people are going to watch 80 man STV Arena raids forever…

Add that into the private communities and the elitism that will exist as it did then and we will see how long regular players enjoying getting two shot by streamers and their premades/ loot funnel guilds before they realize that spending 12 hours a day playing to compete is not worth it.

Community? We could have that now. But half the same players claiming to want it back, are the same players that LFG everything. Its a by product of the internet. Vanilla existed before the internet as we know it now, before outrage culture and the anonymity that the internet provides. The only community you will find is people going out of their way to force it into happening.

Hopefully it can lead to meaningful improvements in retail. It won’t. As they’ve said, if its successful they will just release BC, Wrath, or MoP servers. That way they no longer have to spend anything on development and they can laugh while people actually pay for an xpac thats 10-15 years old. It worked for Disney and their “new” 2018-2019 move lineup…

1 Like

Its this, desk top computer gaming was the popular thing to do in 2005-2010 , now its not.
vanilla / bc / wrath were pretty much “the” game for 5 or 7 years.

Why Alliance? Aren’t there more PvPers on the Horde?

That’s exactly why we are rolling alliance. Horde clearly have the better PvP racials in classic and is going to be over crowded and we don’t want to sit around in queue all day. We will be running full premades anyway so its not like randoms will be holding us back.

Oh.

Well, I hope Blizzard improves their shard manager. Otherwise, your raids will mostly be farming solo players like in BFA.

Exactly, and reading news like the one in the link below just add more “reason” for them to suddenly start to love some games more than others:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90352376/want-to-make-50000-an-hour-become-a-video-game-live-streamer

As an OG wow addict, I second this

lol you may want to read up on that.

I was under the impression we were doing away w/ shards for Classic and going back to no zoning, no xrealm, no shards, etc. Whoever is online is at that physical location in the world as long as they share the same server.

For server stability and gameplay reasons, they’ll be using a modified version of sharding called “layering.”