[Classic Era] Exploitation of Free Transfers

Blizzard should do something about this.

1 Like

Further proof even era is on a timer.

It’s like this on Deviate Delight as well. It used to just be me when I would want to get away from the hustle and bustle of my 60s on Mankrik/Whitemane. Now I see a mage farming ZF almost constantly and lots of rogues farming herbs and a hunter in Dire Maul.

2 Likes

This type. You have some odd self of importance lingering on a dead realm and now have come up with a problem that isnt even really a problem to bring attention to yourself.

Weirdo.

2 Likes

Sounds like clever use of game mechanics. Quit the crying

I appreciate that the Community Council broached the topic of exploits in Classic with game devs during their recent session (WoW Community Council Live Chat - August 18). It would have been better if the scope of that discussion went beyond bots/boosts and mentioned the exploitable free transfers as well.

Nodes were already rare enough in classic/vanilla that I welcome the increase in resources.

If the players on non-connected realms were meant to freely access each other’s resources then their Auction Houses would be shared. This is exploiting the transfer service that was originally set up for when cloning was still available. That service was retired, this one should retire with it.

1 Like

Maybe auction houses should be shared. Sounds good to me. What’s the argument against it? From my extensive experience raiding in classic WoW, player driven economies are not a reason to not have shared AHs. Player driven economy sounds nice but it’s not a great thing in practice. Players can still influence the economy with shared AH anyway. Why keep them separate again?

That’s not the purpose of this thread, though I do elude to it as one possible remedy in my OP.

1 Like

You’re just gonna bring extra griefers now to be fair

1 Like

I’ve been playing Classic since 2019, and people have been sending characters on sabbaticals to other realms to collect uncontested materials from the beginning. In the four years that Classic Era servers have existed, that’s one of the tamer things I’ve seen happen to its economy. Flowers are just going to be a little cheaper and more plentiful than they should be. It is what it is.

And Blizzard, who can’t even be bothered to police and prevent the game-breaking megaserver phenomenon that plagues all versions of Classic, is the last party with any interest in improving the situation.

1 Like

By allowing this abuse of transfers to continue, it only further propagates megaservers.

Who’s economy? The realm that is getting exploited goods? Or the realm that’s being exploited?

This is a myopic take. Did you even read the thread? You are ignoring the way this seriously damages any chance for legitimate play to occur on the smaller realms. You are not looking at it from their perspective, only as a resident of the xfer destinations that benefit from this type of cheating.

Yes, but back then it was disincentivized by requiring the purchase of two character transfers and waiting 60 days in between moves. Now, it’s unlimited and can be done multiple times a day.

What free transfers?

It’s all one economy between the servers. Transfers are just a minor barrier. Importer/exporter types will make sure that the differentials stay low. These people have, indeed, been paying for transfers and waiting out transfer cooldowns since 2019. My guild alone had two characters that came back with bags full of Black Lotus just in time for Naxx (one even came back with an AQ bug mount!!). Not sure how Era is today, but a majority of people who played on the dead servers those days were gatherers with mains on other servers.

It shouldn’t be this way. Servers should all be separated and populated and balanced. Dead servers should be merged. There should be no servers that are so dead that it’s advantageous to farm there, and there should be no servers that are so crowded that you’d go looking for a dead server to farm on. There should be a dedicated Blizzard guy who regularly sets population thresholds past which servers or individual factions are full, such that no more characters can be made on that server/faction. They did this from 2004-2010, but couldn’t be bothered in Classic. Out of all the PvP servers they spun up, only 1 still has PvP in Wrath. This undeniably sucks, Blizzard did bad. But now we’re in 2023, and Blizzard proved in TBC that they’d sooner let an entire Classic expansion flounder than lift a finger on server issues the way they know they historically have.

So, to get back to your grievance… what specific gameplay impact are you complaining about here? What grinds your gears the hardest? Are you upset that herb prices are too low on the megaservers? Or that herbs are too artificially expensive and contested on your low pop server? It sounds like you’re looking for a way to definitively disconnect these servers so that this doesn’t continue. What solution are you pitching?

connect the Auction Houses of both the East and West Classic Era pvp realms.

Golly. You’re saying that the simplest way to keep the servers from interacting with each other is to more directly combine their economies? What a modest proposal.

That proposed change will allow my Incendius gathering alt to support my Whitemane raiding characters, since it’s all connected; Any time I need gold, I can just sell a high priced gray item to my alt holding the cash. 5% AH fee is a small price to pay to hog all the herbs on Incendius I want. Plus, the only people I’ll bother are the Incendius natives, who I can disrespect up and down because this isn’t even my server.

Do you see how that solution doesn’t solve any problem you’ve described?

The unrealistic presumption that everyone Xfers for trade is dishonest. Players have always had that ability, but by design it has also always been discouraged, until now.

So wait… they can transfer for FREE?

See [Classic Era] Exploitation of Free Transfers - #10 by Despitebeing-incendius
And/or:

No. I’m saying the natural impetus for player migration should be restored by abolishing these easily-exploited transfers. The mention of a connected AH is a tangential suggestion only to be considered if abolition/stricter oversight for abusers is not up for consideration. In this way, the smaller realms would at least gain access to the market the exploiters have been muling their resources away to.

Again, connecting the AHs is not my goal, but a compromise. It places both realms’ economies on an equal playing field in terms of accesibility and permits the smaller realms to trade with the wider market their resources are being xferred to.

Yes, I agree. Blizzard has been neglecting their duties to ensure the health of all realms.

The free transfers are there as a big hint hint, nudge nudge to get you off your dead realms. Ideally, Blizzard would love it if Incendius goes to zero population, then they could shut the dang server off and save money :expressionless: the free transfers are thus never going away. sorry buddy

1 Like

By taking a transfer, you absolve Blizzard of their neglect. It is not the players’ responsibility to maintain healthy servers. They should have collectively spat the initial proposition of transfers back in Blizzard’s face and demanded more responsible management of the realms. Instead, they caved and threw more money on the fire that was ravaging server communities.

If Classic players continually settle for such lazy non-solutions from the developers of this game, what reason will the devs have to improve?