Classic Era 1.14.4 PvP Update

This just means that anyone willing to get rank 14 now CAN and could choose that route instead of aq40 tokens and other specific items. Realistically we will see more but I don’t see this stopping any raids at all.

Yes that’s what I was saying but it’s a bad thing. high end gear shouldnt be for “anyone” especially solo players it’ll reduce the number of raids and the demand for a lot of the items by making pvp easier.

i d never said that there’ll be absolutely zero raids. but it’ll trivialize a lot of the content. The reason why era is popping right now is becuz wotlk sucks (because of the changes). If people can “skip” most of the content to Aq 40, there will be a lot less groups in era

2 Likes

I’m telling you that so few character will “skip” MC/BWL/AQ40 that this just isn’t a relevant fallout of these changes. I just ranked HWL and MC/BWL/AQ40 still has a vast number of items you need and GDKPs are a really common pug for us on era, both ally and Horde.

Also… we all bring our Naxx geared toons into MC/BWL/ZG/AQ20, so we already trivialize the content.

1 Like

Then you’re wrong. It literally happened in SoM.
They made pvp easier in SoM and people just skipped all the content to get r14 instead.

ur doing that thing again. I never said MC, BWL, AQ etc will be competely useless. I said half the gear will be. even though there are still other gear trivializing Ony, AQ 20 gear set, ZG gear set, and half the pieces of the other raids is a bad game design. a raid just to get trinkets is bad game design

knowing blizzard we will probably be re ranking bc they don’t really care about the people who actually pvp or play the game, they only make changes for the solo player’s crying and streamer’s being griefed

2 Likes

That’s fine too. You are who you are.

I just like to play MMORPGs for social reasons. That is the correct genre for my gameplay preferences. I tend to find myself in guild leadership positions too doing things like “HR” because that’s what I like. I’m not saying that guild things aren’t social in classic (Era) either, 40-man raids can be difficult to organize and somewhat socially complex because of that, I was just wanting to explain more about what ranking has been for me and why I care.

I simply think it’s a shame that a unique game that catered to my niche is being changed to something that can be found elsewhere already and something that to me is pretty uninteresting due to having zero social complexities whatsoever.

It’s like knocking down an old drafty house from 1880 and replacing it with a 2023 house and saying that the new house is more energy efficient so it’s fine. Most people would want the new house. Some people like the old. Oh, and then saying that the 2023 house is a classic because it sits on a big lot with mature trees.

It could be worse though so whatever. What I really didn’t want personally is currency.

You seem to prefer what Blizzard is doing and that’s ok, they are going to do it anyway. I’ve given my feedback hundreds of times, and they always do the opposite of what I know would be best for me. They enjoy catering to people who are totally the opposite of people like myself, generally, those who are self-focused and parse and gear obsessed, and people who do not care who they abuse along the way. I quit Wrath over it but still wanted to be able to maybe come back for Era or Fresh but who knows these days?

2 Likes

We are talking about era, are you talking about something else?
I also played through the entirety of SoM in a top guild where we got the Tabard of Mastery.

it’s called evidence. pointing out the affects of what an easier pvp system does to the game.

just cuz u played thru som doesnt mean it was widely a dead game

I haven’t gained any honor yet, even though I’ve participated in BG’s and acquired many Honorable Kills

I think in theory this is fine but the grind needs to be tuned in a way that makes it a long grind (3 months of effort minimum if solo). I think a very nice side bonus of this is that AV will be popping consistently outside of AV weekend.

3 Likes

This really doesn’t take away from the social aspect at all. You don’t need the whole ‘lift the other person up because only one person can get it’ to be social with it.

If rank 14 is still just as much of a grind as it was, just that you aren’t relying on other players now and can go at your own pace, most people rank 12+ will still know each other.

Let’s be honest, having to ‘game the system’ in order to get rank 13/14 was dumb. Who knows, maybe some of you actually liked it, but to most logical people it’s a really asinine system that just creates confusion and frustration for the sake of confusion and frustration.

Literally every change they made here was completely positive for the QoL of ranking and makes it possible for anyone to get it. Before, you literally couldn’t get r14 unless you were unemployed and slept 4 hours/day for literal months playing nonstop, or account shared. That kind of requirement to achieve something is downright stupid.

The only caveat to everything I’ve said is if they’ve changed the amount of honor/CP to hit rank 14. If it’s changed so it’s relatively easy to achieve, then all of the good things they’ve done here are moot and it’s an overall bad change. Ranking needs to be just as hard of a grind as it is now, but without the need to worry about where you are in relation to others and allow you to take breaks whenever you want without being horrifically punished for it.

3 Likes

I agree and disagree. The system was garbage for sure but the emergent interactions that arose from having to deal with it were very memorable. I only ranked to 11 but I did my premades with the rank 14 people (and got offered a b14 spot but declined for irl reasons). Those two months were probably some of the most memorable times of wow just from the absolute insane drama of it all.

That said I think these proposed changes are a very good compromise between retaining the difficulty of the grind (and maintaining a big advantage for grouping) and making it easier on solo players to reasonably attain their goals. Overall I think it’s fine but I understand where he’s coming from 100 percent

1 Like

Them raids are already out not like your starting fresh or something

I strongly think it does matter and I’ve said why. Please explain one thing about this new system that encourages PVPers to be just as social with each other. Blizzard absolutely did not in that long blue post that we are replying to. In fact, there is just a ton of focus on the solo experience and ZERO on the group one, because the Blizzard devs simply do not care about the social part of the WoW game at all. For Classic era, Wrath, or Retail. They. Do. Not. Care.

AKA less-social, that’s literally what I just quoted, and these players aren’t premading I highly doubt that even the rank 12+s will do more than verbally abuse each other in battleground chat because you can be a complete trash human and it doesn’t matter one bit. That’s what EXACTLY happened in the TBC prepatch when people started solo grinding and the battlegrounds became the quality of a rotten garbage pile. So why not here?

I like complex systems and complexity in social structures so I enjoyed what it was yes.

For those who like things for things to be super easy to understand, and for those who hate team play in their MMO games, sure this is way better.

Well, I got R14 in April 2020 on my druid with a full-time job and a family that loves me so they supported my few weeks of craziness, but I did sacrifice sleep. I’m so glad I did it now because that experience would have been taken from me, had I not. I still talk to some of the people I ranked with today too.

I’m also glad I (easily, just 4 nights a week) ranked an ally to R14 after that, and then another ally to R14, and then a horde to R13 in classic. Then to R11 on SoM. NEVER for the gear either, each time for the experience. It was like binging on chocolate because it will never be available again. Now I know that it was totally worth it because I had the most fun I ever will in a video game and memories for the rest of my life.

Look, I know that most people like the change. I might rank in Seasons or Fresh to play with some of my old PVP buddies again, but I’m going to spend most of my summer at the beach with my family who still loves me and not game… and I’m not going to be doing THIS boring and highly unmemorable Era ranking on another toon.

I’ve actually been trying to not rant too much about this change because at least they’re keeping the ranks and a lot more than that, at least you can still premade, I’m just more glad that I binged on my “chocolate” when I could.

What I don’t like the most is the following:

1. This does not add to the social aspects of the game. It caters more to solo play.
  2. Blizzard should not be changing things in Era. The devs are just so into doing their pet projects “to put their stamp on the game” that they don’t care about authenticity. At all. Hardcore as a gamemode is fine and I’m happy to see it. Season changes are fine. WHY are they changing Era? To cater to the solo people is the only reason I see. It shouldn’t happen.
2 Likes

It’s awesome to see that someone else understands where I’m coming from even though you’re overall happy with the change, which is fine. I know more people are.

Thanks for making this post!

1 Like

The “Highest Rank” portion of the “Lifetime” tab is redundant if de-ranking no longer exists, right? For RP reasons or personal preference, will players be able to choose previously obtained lower ranked PvP titles in a drop down menu? Just curious.

1 Like

Right idea, awful execution.

You can demote yourself by dishonorable kills, if you want to, so it’s not totally redundant - only for most players :wink:

I like a lot of what is changing with this. I know there’s some fuss with ‘how easy’ it’ll be to rank up, but many people aren’t going to be able to get that grind or aren’t going to bot.

Hopefully these minor nuances may lead up to a more conducive environment for a Classic+ in the future.

So my question is, for the current ranks, will there be a carry over at all? For those people who have been grinding till now? Or will you reset the entire system?

i feel like wouldn’t it make more sense to. i dont. know, just actually leave era alone and actually save this for classic plus?

“Many people arent going to bot” doesnt inspire a lot of confidence lol. There should be NO bots in the first place which the system already weeds out, let alone “some”

1 Like